Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeinGreen75

Reaction score
This is just so sad. My teenage daughters grew up loving Elmo, one called him 'Elbo' when she was one; it was adorable how much they loved him! And now my twin boys are 22 months old and they won't be able to grow up with him the same as my daughters did. They're already in love with Elmo and they know him so well. He's their friend! He's an icon. Kevin is an icon. Sesame Street just won't be the same anymore. I cried when we lost Jim Henson and now I'm crying again. Muppets are who we grow up with.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
To those saying they will replace Elmo, yes, that's probably true. But I doubt we'll be seeing Elmo for quite some time. The stigma attached to him is too negative, thanks to TMZ and other sensationalist news sources.

Like someone else mentioned, if Clash was a rapper, he would still be working. But because he's a children's entertainer, and a man who promotes good morals through his characters (regardless of what he does with his spare time), he is being dragged through the mud.

The world has no moral compass, and entertainment is in the gutter. Are we really going to crucify a furry red monster and his owner when MTV and VH1 sell smut, when news stations have devolved into mudrackers, and when we make celebrities out of third-rate hacks?

Squigiman

Reaction score
Yes, I think that's a fair point. I was just about to chime in on this terrible news,ust because of how some of the discussion was going off-the-rails. Let's leave it to Kevin's case, what he's meant to us, hoping he'll be vindicated and be able to move on, etc., or even other viewpoints that are RELATED TO KEVIN RESIGNING, SPECIFICALLY, as that's the topic. Going into some statistics read from this or that source about sexual deviancy isn't especially important, even if it is related to the cause of this unfortunate occurrence. Let's just try to stick together, as fans, and hope for the best.

-Zach

aaronmojo

Reaction score
I know this is a Muppet forum but I think you guys are worrying way too much about Elmo and Kevin Clash's career, and less about his (apparent) pattern of befriending teenagers and (apparently) entering sexual relationships with them once they're adults. (Assuming there is at least some truth to these allegations, and based on Kevin's statements, there appears to be).

I'm a children's book illustrator and a puppeteer and I also (this is shocking) have had sexual intercourse. But I knew, even before I was married (which I am now) that I couldn't do some things that, technically, are legal - that doesn't make them a good idea, or, even morally right. I could not hit on 18 year old girls in college classes that I was speaking to as a guest lecturer, for example.

Kevin Clash's life story was incredibly moving and inspirational. Being in his position, with the respect and attention he garnered, he had a responsibility to himself and his employers to exercise better judgment, and he does not appear to have done so. And I don't say this lightly - after the first accuser recanted, I thought the whole thing was a setup from the start. But a second accuser? And Kevin Clash admitting that "something" went on with the first guy, consenting adults or not?

It's just weird. The whole thing is weird. I'm sad about it, and I'm disappointed in Kevin's conduct, as a role model to puppeteers and children. It's possible to do good work on the one hand while pursuing, well, let's call it "self destructive" behavior on the other hand (look at Jimmy Savile for example). They'll replace Elmo and Sesame Street will go on, but for me, the most disappointing part is that now his whole inspirational story is tainted.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
^I actually don't think they will replace Elmo, at least not immediately. There's too much negative press, and too many parents who can't see that the character is not the man. We probably won't see Elmo for quite a while.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's please keep this discussion focused on your feelings and opinions of Kevin Clash leaving Sesame Street. Feel free to also discuss what this may mean for Sesame Street's future.

There are plenty of other places on the web to discuss the other issues.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
Let's please keep this discussion focused on your feelings and opinions of Kevin Clash leaving Sesame Street. Feel free to also discuss what this may mean for Sesame Street's future.

There are plenty of other places on the web to discuss the other issues.
Thanks Phillip!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
They already started taping season 44; how much they got done, I don't know. The only things I'm assuming Elmo would appear in that would involve his recast is new ETM segments (if they haven't shot any already) and the celebrity word of the day bits, which they do in the Spring out in LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.