1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by brkndwnbus, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

We were at William Paterson as well... I keep thinking back to it because now I think I was totally halluncinating the story he told about (I thought) traveling and calling home to his wife and kids and talking to his daughter as Elmo. It was news to me that Kevin has been openly gay (as I read in some articles). His personal life is none of my business and of course that doesn't weigh in on the 'underage' issue here, never the less, I was surprised because of that story alone.
  2. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Actually that's more than I knew. I sort of thought even after the accuser recanted. Kevin just felt uncomfortable out of what happened. I didn't hear about what happened afterwards.

I've actually been thinking about the situation about how we won't hear a new Elmo voice for a few years. (Except maybe for live appearances. I wonder about what will happen with that in the Macy's parade.) I remember how when Henson died, Steve didn't take over as Ernie right away. Ernie and Kermit didn't appear in anything new. They just played inserts with those characters. I often wondered how that would work with Elmo. I guess it probably wouldn't because his appearances more prominent in street scenes (and in "Elmo the Musical"). Also, they don't play as many inserts as they used to. Maybe I'm getting a bit off topic here, but I can't help but wonder about this. I know they can't write Elmo out of the show, so a recast is probably inevitable unless anything changes within the next few years, but what can you do?
  3. Daffyfan2003

Prerecorded? I didn't think of that. Okay, so now if I hear Kevin singing as Elmo tomorrow I won't be in the dark as to what's going on with that. Lol.

Sorry to double post again. I keep forgetting to use the edit command.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, the first accuser was finally identified as Shelbum Sleazens, an actor/model, the second accuser, a man who looks like a woman named Cecil, gave a press conference with his lawyer last night, claiming that Kevin would grope him, masturbate to him, among other things, and it wasn't until years later that they start having intercourse with each other. Then, at the latest, two more accusers came forward, all wanting to sue Kevin, painting a picture of him as a sexually deprived monster who uses his power to lure young, underaged boys into sexual relationships with him.
    Don't forget, there was The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson a few months after Jim died, this was the first we heard Steve's Kermit.
  5. Daffyfan2003

Yeah. I thought of that as well, but having a "Muppets Celebrate Kevin Clash" might be too far fetched since he's still alive and I don't think they'd feel comfortable telling children about what went on with that. It's a good thought though.
  6. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

The more i learn about his accusers, the more i have a hard time buying anything they're selling. I'm also convinced at this point that just about anybody who had any kind of relationship with them could sue them for "psychological damages" - i know i'd be psychologically damaged just from being seated next to them in a restaurant. As much as i'd like to support "victims' rights" in theory, i'm glad these guys' names have now entered the public record because you don't get to tarnish a man's reputation/career like that with the main goal of seeking a large financial settlement for yourself - and doing so mainly via media outlets instead of via police - without having the same amount of public scrutiny and media glare focused back on yourself as well. No "blue dot" for you.

I was thinking Henson Alternative projects in general would be a good place for him to work on next but probably not Puppet Up/Stuffed and Unstrung specifically - the combination of (a) the focus on the performer as much as the puppet and (b) live audiences that may be unpredictable, unruly, or comprised of members who may show up looking to cause trouble might not be the best idea.
  7. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

An unsuccessful actor and model, might I add.

These three new accusers are obviously digging for cash/limelight. This is pure fraud and defamation of character. This Cecil jerk is the worst. He's clearly an exhibitionist, an attention-seeker, and a gold digger.

He has been quoted on his Facebook as saying "this is the stepping stone I need."
    SuperGzilla12 likes this.
  8. D'Snowth

That's lower than low.
    SuperGzilla12 likes this.
  9. ftnpro

ftnpro Member

Seeing Elmo singing on the Sesame Street Macy's float makes me feel a little bit better.
  10. mo

mo Well-Known Member

I'm just so sad, I found out about twenty minutes ago and I can't stop frowning or feeling bad inside, i just wish the best for kevin.
  11. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I love the quote Elmo sang during the parade "Nothing is gonna keep us down!" :laugh:
    mo, TheWeirdoGirl, DrDientes and 3 others like this.
  12. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Ditto. :laugh:
  13. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I hope that everyone has been able to set there feelings about this to the side and have a great Thanksgiveing. We really do have a lot to be thankful for.
  14. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

The more I've been thinking about this, the more I've been wodnering if maybe Kevin could just resign from performing and keep his other duties, but be credited by a different name and keep a low profile.
  15. D'Snowth

He's certainly going to have to maintain a low profile for quite some time now. That would not only be best for himself, until all of this mess blows over, but it would also be good for the sake of SST as well.
  16. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

i was glad to see elmo :laugh: on the float today and ernie bert :p:( and the count :batty: but thats off topic :o:oops:
  17. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

Interesting to hear this from my older brother this evening since his almost 1 year old daughter likes Elmo. I heard about the first person that accused Clash for this and later dropped the case because it was just made up. Now this is really interesting. Forget about the who's going to perform Elmo angle and focus on the accusations that have now been claimed against Clash. If this is all true, then Clash has made some very bad choices that can cost him jail time.

If this is all false and made up, then once the dust settles have Clash return to Sesame Street in whatever role he or someone else wants him to do like being Elmo, executive producer, etc.

I have no idea what's going to happen, but if Clash did do those things, then what people have thought about him over the years has just been thrown out the door and into the trash can.
    muppetlover123 likes this.
  18. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Well, this has actually been in discussion for quite some time. And to tell you the truth, I'm getting rather tired of it. I doubt I'm the only one. And I think it's partially because of that that the discussion moved to "Kevin the performer" and not back to "Kevin the accused". I feel this is a private matter that Kevin will be able to handle on his own. Until things are cleaned up, I really want to focus on the good things that Kevin has done over the years. He lived to make people happy, and that made him one of my heroes. And he'll remain one of my heroes no matter what.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  19. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

Fine for now until the investigation ends and people know what happened. If he didn't do anything, then great. Pick up the pieces and then go on from there. If he did do something, then his respect will be in question by a lot of people. I'm done with posting in this thread until something else happens.
  20. SuperGzilla12

SuperGzilla12 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.