1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by brkndwnbus, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Whatever Kevin did, let's put it into perspective. A shameful thing that happened in his private life is bad, but sensationalistic loudmouth tabloid shows for absolute idiots are making money off of the suffering of everyone involved. I can't believe people are actually defending TMZ. Watch an episode. Would you like those words with mustard or ketchup? It's sensationalism that destroys celebrities lives, but also stalks innocent ones until they say or do something objectionable and run it in slow mo and edit it down in a way to make them look like monsters. All with cartoon boings and fart sound effects. Classy.

Here's the thing that scares me. Some idiot isn't going to see that the character is recast. And that idiot will find a bunch of other idiots online and try to besmirch Sesame Workshop. Especially since the media doesn't want to distinguish creepy and inappropriate relationships with younger men of consent and child molester. Kevin is first and foremost an actor. He plays a 3 year old for 3 year olds, and now someone else has to. They'll probably do a good job, but it just won't be the same no matter how we look at it, especially since there's a huge asterisk we won't be able to unsee. But that's us as a collective group that's privy to behind the scenes stuff. The general public isn't that smart by and large.
  2. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I said this same thing in the last go round of the accusations.
  3. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Exactly, I'm less worried about the future of Elmo than the future of Sesame Workshop, and what the whole cast and crew and Kevin's family is going through right now. I know I personally thought Kermit was going to disappear when Jim passed, and of course they had Steve who took over beautifully. I'm sure they have plans in case anything happens to the performers. I'm curious to see how Sesame Workshop is going to fill the shoes of the 20 other jobs Kevin was responsible for.
    mupcollector1 and Phillip like this.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, Elmo is Sesame Workshop at this point. A lot of us are worried because of the private actions of one guy, albeit an influential one, Sesame Workshop will have a tarnished reputation and will have to jump through a lot of PR hoops to get back to near normal.
  5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Thats not really true Sesame has been doing a really good job as of late showcasing a lot of there classic Muppets in some great bits. I think Grover has really came out more in recent years Due mostly to the talented Eric Jackaboson, but it's been great.

Now Elmo dose make a lot of tv apperances, like Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. These are what I'm going to miss becuase Elmo and Kevin are going to be a little more free. I just hope that sometime in the future we will see Elmo back on Fallon and still be the same funny little red Monster that everyone loves.
    MelissaY1 likes this.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I'd been thinking maybe he could become involved with Puppet Up.
    mupcollector1 likes this.
  7. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

I think we will see Elmo removed from the show. The general public wont understand that the role is recast, if they can even recast it. Kevin is a master of puppetry. Elmo is more than a voice and a puppet. Kevin made him the little red menace we all hate to love or love to hate. Us we are already seeing the removal of Elmo from some toy commercials. There is a Cookie Monster kitchen toy that features Elmo's face in a window with Abby behind it. Now the commercial has Elmo's panel slid in with the briefest mention of Elmo I've ever seen. It will be all about Abby for awhile, then the audience will be replaced in a couple years and kids will never even know who Elmo was.
  8. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

I'm officially welcoming the end of the world.

Please note: This isn't about defending or condeming Kevin.

I saw the story break over on IMDB and, even though I knew it was a bad idea, couldn't bring myself to not look. In the comments section under the article, there were people cracking tasteless jokes and laughing (that's right LAUGHING) over what they only saw as the end of Elmo. They didn't care that either a serious wrong has been committed, or a man's career has been ruined by lies and exaggerations.

I read it last night and still feel like I'm about to throw up.
  9. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Also as much as I admire Kevin's talent, I don't see how people on here are able to look past what he's done. Having a relationship with 15 and 16 year old teenagers? This isn't a matter of his personal life it's a matter of breaking the law and taking advantage of kids. The idea that someone who does such great things for charities and for children would then take advantage of them makes lose a great deal of respect for him. No one can tell me that a 16 year old is old enough to understand and have a relationship with a man in their 40s. Male or female I don't care. If this scandal was just about Kevin Clash being gay I would be on his side 100% but its not.

I honestly do not think Kevin intended to hurt anyone or do anything wrong. I honestly think that he cared about those with which he had a relationship. I also think that's the main problem. He didn't think it was wrong. There are now 2 allegations. Kevin has resigned which to me says he wants to end this before more people come forward. It's a terrible thing that has happened here but sadly Kevin brought it on himself. I will miss him as a performer greatly.
  10. TheMonsterAteMe

TheMonsterAteMe Active Member

Where's your evidence? Hmmm? What proof do you have? Has any proof been presented?

The answer to those questions: There is no evidence. You have no proof. And they have no proof.

Please stop acting like he did this when no proof has been presented. You have no freaking clue about what went on. Neither do we.

We don't need you to be Muppet Centrals personal TMZ
  11. dwayne1115

People on here and other places are showing support because they don't believe that the things that are being said are true. They are looking at where the story first broke out and take it for a grain of salt.
    It's very hard to think about any of the Muppet prefromers doing anything that is not above the law, but this story has come out and we want to make sure what is truth or not. A Lot of us still think that this is something that could not be true, but if it is we want it to be found in the right way through a court of law.
    "innocent until proven Guilty" has been said through out this thread, and that what most people want to see due proses. We don't to to be judge jury and executioner, and let the Lawyers and Kevin have there say in court if needed.
    Slackbot likes this.
  12. RockSTAR girl

RockSTAR girl Member

Look, I don't know if this has been shared yet, I tried to speed read through a few pages and see, but didnt see it. http://straightfromthea.com/2012/11/15/mugshot-mania-meet-the-elmo-accuser-photos/ Here is a VERY interesting article about the man making these claims... when you read it alongside this similar article http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/elmo-accuser-recanted-troubled-article-1.1202365 it starts to paint a picture of the type of people I see in LA everyday. People who are out here looking for the next rich entertainer to take to bed and hopefully hit pay-dirt. TMZ is definitely skewing the story because the accuser is their source... I just wanted to show this other POV on the subject. Because frankly, I believe this kid is just after a payday.
  13. dwayne1115

Not only that the facts are really not all together or not being brought out to really form a case. there has to be evidence for a case to be hear. Yes tesamny is part of it but they need more to make a solid case.
  14. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Whatever the real story is, it has been buried underneath tabloid fodder and mudslinging.
  15. dwayne1115

Like I said earlier, do we really want to know all the deep dark details of this? I mean Kevin's reputaion has been messed up as it is, I couldn't bear to see what more dirt, lies or eave the truth for that matter could do.
  16. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I only want to know the truth if it's good news to us.
  17. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

As often as I've joked about Elmo hogging Sesame Street, I realize that Muppet characters who grow that popular are unlikely to get dropped from the show forever. Whether Kevin Clash is a misunderstood victim or a heinous criminal, the target audience for Sesame Street doesn't equate "Clash the man" with "Elmo the character". As l0ng as 3-year-olds can learn and have fun with their Muppet friend, they won't react badly to a different performer. Parents, too, should be reasonable enough to keep Clash and Elmo distinct. Whatever Clash might have done outside the workplace, he did NOT use the Muppets or his ties to Sesame Workshop to attract younger partners. The TV show and its characters are still innocent, and boycotting Sesame Street merchandise does nothing to address the real problem.
  18. dwayne1115

Well that is the main reason he left the show. So that Sesame would not lose it's focas and be distracted from what the shows main goal.

Whether or not Kevin is guilty or not the news that theses accusers is taken very seriously by everyone. We all should want the truth, right or wrong. We should also not judge a man before all the evidence has been brought forth.
    muppetlover123 and ISNorden like this.
  19. dwayne1115

It's been a very long two days, but let's remember that tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and let us in this thread be thankful for the times and the laughs we have been able to share with Elmo and Kevin.
  20. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

To the very end, Kevin Clash truly was a man of great character and honor enough for him to quit so that Sesame Street and its company wouldn't suffer too badly from this.

Depended to the show to the very end. :super:
    Muppet fan 123 and dwayne1115 like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.