1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by brkndwnbus, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Schfifty

Schfifty Active Member

Oh, dear. This really shocks me. It's too bad this had to result from the underage relationship incident. This summer Jerry Nelson passed, and now Kevin Clash "clashed" and resigned. :(

Well, the big question is who's going to take over as Elmo. But I also question who's going to become Puppet Captain / Muppet Coordinator. Perhaps David Rudman or Matt Vogel?

'Nuff said...
  2. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing either Matt or Joey Mazzarino. More likely Joey since he's already head writer, director, etc.
  3. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Ok, wanted to apologize. I got some facts wrong. This incident was alleged to have taken place in 2003, not 1993 as I misread. I do believe the young man when he says he was heavily sexually abused as a young child and growing up. However he admits to being with a lot of older men. So why single out Kevin?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/national/269999/22/Second-Elmo-accuser-speaks-out-files-5M-suit

I understand that sometimes it takes one person to come out for others who had waited or kept quiet like in the Sandusky case. Yet I honestly feel that the words "grossly inappropriate" reflect this situation more than "predator" or monster.
    Yes, maybe it's my bias as a rabid supporter of all that is Jim Henson's creations.
    So watch the press conference video and judge for yourself.

I sadly do see the story growing. A couple of "news" sites (like gawker) are using images like this in an effort to further try and connect readers to the Sandusky case.
    If I thought last week was a nightmare news story for us all as Clash and SS fans, this
    is even worse.

[​IMG]
  4. futureman

futureman New Member

I'm very disappointed people on here are blaming TMZ or the accusers. Kevin Clash exercised very poor judgement, he seems to realize that. He isn't just some random person, he was the performer for one of the most popular children's characters.
    inturnaround and heralde like this.
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Eeesh....

Two others? So there's four altogether accusing him of this? There's so many avenues, albeit highly risky, for someone who is a closeted gay man to find and pursue the company of other guys. Even young guys in the 18-22 range. The media is using the word "grooming" which of course implies an older person uses a position of power and trust to break someone down in various psychological and emotional ways. I have a feeling that ( regardless if it's true or what it all means) if those two others come out it's just going to get worse.

Brace yourself folks.
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I like how there's suddenly a few newbies coming into this thread basically all, "Dudes, Kevin Clash screwed himself into a corner, u guyz needs to stop puttin him on a pedastal and quit hatin on da haterz yo!"

What is this all about?
    Drtooth likes this.
  7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Guys, check out NBC Nightly News coverage of the story, which runs for about 3 minutes. You can tell NBC News are huge fans of Kevin Clash and Sesame Street and frame the story in much the same way we would. Seriously everyone should watch this, it's pretty much a love letter to Clash

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/49909539/#49909661
  8. Jethrofinger

Jethrofinger New Member

I still think this is a set up. These people are looking for money. I just can't believe that Kevin did this. Has anybody seen a documentary made on the people who accused Michael Jackson in 2004-2005? The guy was really innocent because the accusers were setting him up.

Still, I'm really sad about Kevin leaving. They can't get rid of Elmo because of his popularity. Still, I don't see someone taking his place. Who would be able to do the voice?

9. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

The video was very touching. And agreed, such a sad ending to such a storied character.

Question though...what episode was Elmo performed as a Live-Hand puppet? Anyone?
  10. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

NBC unlike Fox News has had a great relationship with Sesame and the Muppets as a whole. They did a nice job, and did you catch that they said that this would not affect the production of season 43 thats interesting I wonder how it wouldn't.
  11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm gonna cry now.
    SSLFan likes this.
  12. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Most of the long-time members here know I'm not a major fan of Elmo; despite that, I still worry about whether Sesame Street will survive so much negative press. The Workshop has had to face Jerry Nelson's death, Romney's "I love Big Bird" disclaimer, Hurricane Sandy hitting New York--and now, the biggest cast-member scandal since Northern Calloway got into legal trouble decades ago. *Kermit-style scrunchface*

I have no children myself, since major health problems have kept me from raising any; however, I share some forum members' fear that the Kevin Clash scandal will cause a major backlash against Sesame Workshop (mostly from parents who equate Elmo with his performer). A boycott will not help protect children against sexual predators, or against consensual relationships with older adults later in life. Clash was asked to resign, and he agreed that bringing his personal problems to work was bad for the show--end of story.

As for whether Elmo will be passed on to another performer...yes, that will happen eventually, after the worst of this scandal blows over. The new performer has big shoes to fill, though (figuratively speaking): whatever he does for Clash's characters, it'll take a long time to earn respect for his own skill. (Think of how fans reacted to Steve Whitmire when he took over Kermit and Ernie, for instance.)
  13. dwayne1115

It has happend sevral times before a lot of times in Elmo's World.
  14. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Honestly...I'm not all that worried about the voice. Anyone can do a voice impression. Muppeteers themselves have said the voice is secondary. I'm more so worried about the actual character. Kevin gave Elmo/ helped shape Elmo's personality in the 28 years he's had him. He's help build range and depth with the character beyond the likes any of us have seen. I'm hoping the new performer carries on with that tradition.

*Sigh*...Why is this happening? :cry:
    cjd874 likes this.
  15. dwayne1115

I just hope that whom esver takes over Elmo will have the same passion as Kevin, and do a lot of the things Kevin has done to help people through Elmo. It's kind of like when Jim passed and Steve had to take over Kermit. He is not just taking on the duties of perfroming Kermit, but there is a leadership that has to be there. I feel that this is kind of the same for Kevin.
  16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Not entirely comfortable with the comparisons to Jim's death. This is a situation of someone losing a job over a potential scandal. It's not at all the same as someone's tragic passing.
    terrimonster and The Shoe Fairy like this.
  17. dwayne1115

No and I don't mean it in that way. I'm refering to the passing of the tourch for whomeever takes over Elmo. Jim's passing was a totaly differnt kind of tragic then this. I understand that completly, I was talking mostly about the dutites that whoever takes over for Kevin will be lkind of like what Steve had to go through. I'm not going to say that one is more tragic then the other they are both traigic just diffrent kinds.
  18. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

*hugs*
  19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It's OK, I wasn't trying to single you out specifically, I've just seen it mentioned a few different times in the thread and it concerned me a little.
  20. ftnpro

ftnpro Member

Huh? I have the utmost respect for Richard Hunt and have never heard anything about him to the contrary.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.