Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
this third accuser article goes way too much into detail.... Mr. Tickler really? and playing a "game" called son and dad.... just gross

beaker

Reaction score
I'm not defending what Clash may have done, but people have to come to terms with the fact these allegations may be true. The real deal is the CONTEXT with which these happened. The emotional frame, and really: what were older teens not quite 18 doing on sex chat lines? Regardless, y'all gonna have to confront your feelings on this one. I personally am completely unmoved by these accusers, however "true" they may be. And while I am normally aghast at the very thought of older people seeking out minors, I think Clash should be forgiven and the incidents understood for the time and state of being in which they occurred. Accuser #2 Cecil straight up said he let him think he was 18. Now why was a 40 somethinger seeking out an 18 year old for sex?
Well, who knows. But we know Jerry Seinfeld and Woody Allen, in their 50's, married 17 year olds. Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin. And heck, R Kelly made a sex tape with a 12 year old(something I feel he should have gone to prison for) and somehow his career couldnt be better.

Can't we all just go back to 1989 or so, when the Muppet world was a better place?
Ha, I wish it was the late 80's every day! I may have been 11 years old, but it was truly one of the most magical time periods of my life. 1988-april 1990 was pure bliss to me.
And actually, late 80's Muppets through the Muppets At Walt Disney World time is my absolute favorite Muppet production period.

And NOTHING beats the "Gonzo Girl" at the big Henson festival they had in Huntington, Long Island several years back, who came dressed as Gonzo from head to toe with the nose, etc. and CRIED after one of the live Q&A's as they were putting the Gonzo puppet back in storage, because she didnt' get a picture with him. And this was no kid, mind you. Anyone who was at this event definitely remembers this quack.

So I hate to say, I think the loonies are everywhere.

Hehe...Ive met some rather...socially challenged people who were muppet freaks at these events. But you know, I think it's good that the Muppets or geek subjects and related fandom can be a bright anchor for people with severe social difficulties, Aspergers Syndrome, etc. Yes, there is something about the Muppets that may attract emotionally developmentally stunted folks, but I like to think we're all a little awkward and stunted in some ways.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I mean if this was the target vewiers for Sesame, then I could see a huge problem with this. I mean sure these guys went on a chat line, but you can't tell me that they where honestly looking for "just friends" I mean really.....?

beaker

Reaction score
this third accuser article goes way too much into detail.... Mr. Tickler really? and playing a "game" called son and dad.... just gross
Yeah it's pretty bad. Ok I reallllly hope the stuff in the article isn't true
http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainm...Puppeteer-Kevin-Clash-Faces-Third-4071229.php

I can accept the notion Clash thought these guys were of age. But I admit it's very troubling to think he was using alcohol, master-submission psychology, and other strongly coercive means. What's that expression, "better to not know". I wish this scandal never came up. It's been nothing but bad news.

inturnaround

Reaction score
I mean if this was the target vewiers for Sesame, then I could see a huge problem with this. I mean sure these guys went on a chat line, but you can't tell me that they where honestly looking for "just friends" I mean really.....?
It's incumbent on the adult to be an adult in such a situation.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
yeah this kind of freaks me out hope the third one isnt true....scaring me into thinking it is if there is a book about it :confused::grr:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Noticing some patterns between the various accusers...

Most notably the various relationships initiated via gay phone/internet chat lines.

In order to even GO onto such a chat line, the user has to first declare that they are 18 or older. Any relationship anyone going onto such a line enters into if they were indeed under 18 would be entered into under false pretenses with the minor initiating and perpetrating a fraud. They would have been made to first hear or see a statement that even if they are of legal age, anything that occurs via a meetup with someone would be AT THEIR OWN RISK.

So each of these people are saying Kevin is in the wrong for engaging in a relationship with someone under 18...when they themselves LIED about being of legal age to be on the chat line in question.

And now years after the fact (after the statute of limitations expired), they're now suddenly deciding they're emotionally damaged and need anywhere from a six to seven dollar figure to make things right?

BS ALERT BS ALERT BS ALERT BS ALERT BS ALERT BS ALERT BS ALERT!

These people are all largely taking this battle to the press and they're burying themselves with their own testimonies. There's been no tales of abuse; the details they give either seem to indicate Kevin actually treated them respect or acknowledge that they believe Kevin to be a good guy.

Here's hoping the judge/jury laughs them out of court and Kevin's lawyers makes mincemeat out of them. I hope Kevin countersues. And wins.

ETA: I agree Brian handled himself with class and grace dealing with the hack reporter.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If someone does something really messed up, where it's clearly hurting other people and their families, um, it's not ok.
I think you are absolutely right, Melissa. And people really need to be able to separate characters from performers. It's the characters we truly fall in love with. It's the characters we really know. We like to think we know their performers too but in reality they are strangers.

I know I'm usually the anti-Elmo fan, but in this case I find myself in the odd position of defending him as he seems to be getting lost here. :laugh:

My favorite headline in all of this has actually been "Hasbro Sticks Up for Elmo."
http://www.eonline.com/news/365197/kevin-clash-sex-allegations-hasbro-sticks-up-for-elmo

See there, they're defending the character. Now yes, this is a big, impersonal toy company hoping their products/profits won't go away, lol. But they are absolutely right. A character is bigger than any performer, writer or TV network. Beloved characters become part of our cultural mythology. They are the potential we all wish we could live up to as imperfect human beings. And that character shouldn't suffer just because one actor might have failed to live up to that potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.