Here We Go AGAIN...

Drtooth

Reaction score
What they're asking for isn't clear, exactly. Is this yet another misguided anti-piracy piece of crap that does nothing to solve the problem of people who wouldn't buy CD's or see movies anyway while turning a blind eye to physical format bootleggers?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Alls I know is, I just take this stuff with a grain of salt any more... I mean, how many times has the government threaten to rid of us the internet? Better yet, how many times have has the government threaten to rid of us in the internet THIS YEAR ALONE?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not really the government, it's companies that buy representation and lobbyists that want the government to step in and do stuff for them. Which is such a laugh when you think about it. We have these Grover Norquest jerks come in and tell the government hands off big business when the government wants to raise their taxes so they actually pay taxes and regulate them when they're too busy selling e-coli tainted lead paint, but when they stand to lose any sort of money it's always "AAAHHH! Big government! Come and save us! We can't function without you!"

Hubert

Reaction score
I really dunno what to think of this...in one way, I feel like we should be alarmed, but then again, as Snowth said, this is like deja vu.

I'm getting so tired of standing up for the internet that pretty soon I'm gonna have to invest my money in a chair here...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
If anything, more file sharing sites might go down, but I'm not going to get all upset until something actually happens

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still wonder if that's the case. I just hope it isn't as pointless as SOPA/PIPA was... but then again, I'm pretty sure we're in the closing days of the Wild West part of the Internet. You know, before all the corporations take over an make it suck like everything else.

Still, per every thousand people that bought a ticket to Avengers, there's probably less than one person that found a crappy video capture and downloaded it. The industry is still making money no matter what. "Stealing" is still "Stealing" but it's not like it's destroyed the film industry singlehandedly. This is the same hysteria that almost lost us the VCR!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I still wonder if that's the case. I just hope it isn't as pointless as SOPA/PIPA was... but then again, I'm pretty sure we're in the closing days of the Wild West part of the Internet. You know, before all the corporations take over an make it suck like everything else.
We've already lost a bit of the Wild West when we ignore all the ways Google manipulates the way we receive information.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If anything, more file sharing sites might go down, but I'm not going to get all upset until something actually happens
That's a point. I mean, look at all that's happened this year alone: the government completely shut down MegaUpload (and it's spinoff sites like MegaVideo), and Google alone cracked down on MediaConverter, Zamzar, clipconverter, among others.