Labyrinth

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
I had the earlier DVD edition (with the making-of documentary) which is excellent. Gorgeous picture and sound...though only 2.0 ProLogic (not 5.1). The new superbit DVD has 5.1 DD and DTS but I haven't opened it yet as I've heard tale that they DTS track has a lip-sync delay that's quite distracting...bummer cuz I wanted that DTS!!!

Anyway...viewing this film in WS on a large HDTV or projection system from the DVD is an experience to behold...

-dave

whydah

Reaction score
"Hogwart" is a type of plant, J.K Rowling said somewhere (I'm so annoyingly vague) that she saw it on a card in a plantpot someplace and remembered it... it would have been so much better if she HAD gotten it from Labyrinth, though!

"It's so stimulating being your hat."

Oh yeah, the actual point of this reply... SEE Labyrinth. I wished my little brother away to the goblins SO much it was unreal. They never came. I speculate it's because he was already a goblin.

:stick_out_tongue:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
LOL, whydah!

So, agustinaldo, after all this discussion: have you seen it yet?? Let us know if you have and what you thought of it!!

Erine81981

Reaction score
Love the Movie

I have it right now from BlockBuster. I rented because I wanted a friend to see it. I like the Video verison better. You get abetter look a things. On widescreen its just not the way to see it. The one part I love that is so funny is when everyone steps on the rocks they Fart. its funny you'll laugh your but off when it comes to that part. Love the songs as well. Don't have the soundtrack but some songs off of Kazas. Well hope you rent it. And remember don't ever wish your siblings away. IT happed to me and man did my parents get mad. It was my cousin.

GPrime1

Reaction score
Are you kidding? You HAVE to see it in widescreen, same goes with Dark Crysal. There is just so much to see visually, the sets and design are just incredible! GO widescreen!!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
GPrime's right, Ernie. With widescreen, you get much more of the picture than in the "fullscreen" image. The image may be bigger, but they're lopping off the sides of the picture to make it that way.

For a fuller discussion of this, see the "Disney DVD News" thread under the General Discussion section of this forum.

whydah

Reaction score
Yeah, once you've looked at widescreen for about five minutes or so you won't even notice the 'letterbox' effect. Honest :smile:

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
I like the Video verison better. You get abetter look a things. On widescreen its just not the way to see it.
Hey Erine,

I'm wondering if you understand the difference between the "widescreen" version and the "video" version that fills your TV. It's true that some folks just prefer the "square" version that fills their TV because they don't like black bars...and if this is you then I'm not going to try to convince you to watch the movie one way or the other...but I *do* just want to make sure you understand the difference.

This movie, like many others, is filmed in a wide-rectangle shape. This is the way it was seen in the theater...as a long, wide image. The "video" version you mention has been turned into a "square" to fit a TV screen by cutting off about 33-45% of the picture. They literally just CHOP it off!

You can see why so many movie collectors prefer widescreen...with modern films that are film "wide" for the theater it's the only way to see the movie on your TV with all the picture in tact the way the director intended it to be seen. For those of us who view movies as "art" this is critical...an artist composes a image inside the frame...if you chop a third of that painting off or if you change the shape you've changed (destroyed) the art.

I watched WS movies for years on a 27" TV and enjoyed them...but some folks find the image too small for their tastes.

Solutions that preserve the artistic integrity of the WS film:

Get a larger TV, or better yet get a *widescreen* TV, or if cost is a problem try moving your chair closer to the TV when watching a WS movie. If you really want to be "shocked" by the difference that WS can make...watch a movie in WS that you've watched for years on TV cropped out the wazoo...watch the Sound of Music in letterbox (the WS DVD). You'll be amazed that yes...you see all 7 children singing almost all the time when on "TV" you only saw 2 or 3! After a few experiences like that it gets very easy to watch and enjoy WS movies regardless of your TV size (However I must admit that I'm saving my $$ to buy a large-screen front-projector so I can recreate a *real* theater experience!).

-dave