Labyrinth

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I too, "dig" Labyrinth. There's the same fantasy feel to both L and TDC but L is not as, well...'dark' as TDC. It's very funny, very good, I love the music, the characters are great. Definitely Definitely see it!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
In all, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal are some of the best Fantasy films ever created. In my personal opinion (though I'm probably in the minority), even better than Lord of the Rings.
I'm with ya about Labyrinth being better than Lord of the Rings. Of course, it's not quite a fair comparison because Jim wasn't trying to adapt a classic epic work. But LOTR (while a stunning-looking production, and probably the best adaptation possible with such a long text) was still often oppressively boring to me.

For me, the best fantasy movies are Labyrinth, The Princess Bride, The NeverEnding Story, The Fellowship of the Ring (extended edition), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Ladyhawke, The Wizard of Oz, Willow, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, The Dark Crystal, and The Two Towers, in that order. Yes, I know Oz is more historically significant than the other films, but I'm putting them in order of which ones I'd feel like watching tonight if I could choose between any of them.

Manda:-D

Reaction score
BUY IT!!! In fact, if you have a Sam's Club neartlby and own a Sam's card, buy it at Sam's!!!! Because they have a DC & L DVD TWO-PACK selling for 16.82 there!!!!

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
I'm with Chilly Down, I LOVE this movie. I don't like it as well as The Dark Crystal, but I love it. The music is #1!!! I have the soundtrack, and it is my favorite to turn up really loud. I love "Magic Dance" and "Chilly Down". Definately a movie to watch and even own. No, It isn't Kermit the Frog and Gonzo and Miss Piggy, But it's excellent!

GO SEE IT!

Jake

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
I'm with ya about Labyrinth being better than Lord of the Rings. Of course, it's not quite a fair comparison because Jim wasn't trying to adapt a classic epic work. But LOTR (while a stunning-looking production, and probably the best adaptation possible with such a long text) was still often oppressively boring to me.
True, but I wasn't comparing it to the adaption. I was comparing it to Lord of the Rings.

J.R.R. Tolkien was deffenitely a master and visionary, but, the book bore me to death. Love the movies, though. But, I wasn't comparing The Dark Crystal and Labyrnth to the adaption. I was comparing it to the whole thing.

Sorry if I offend anyone with those comments, but, that's the way I feel.

I'd have to agree with your list of Fantasy films (other than Harry Potter. Anyone else notice that Hogwarts comes straight from Labyrinth?). Not EXACTLY in that order (TDC's my favorite fantasy film), but those are all the best.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
"Love the movies, though. But, I wasn't comparing The Dark Crystal and Labyrnth to the adaption. I was comparing it to the whole thing."

I think we're basically talking about the same thing here. I'm just saying one of the reasons why LOTR doesn't work for me as well as Labyrinth does is the difficulty of adapting such a long book. I still enjoy the movie, though.

"Sorry if I offend anyone with those comments, but, that's the way I feel."

We hold opinions outside the majority, but no one's bitten off our heads yet. :wink: I think with the current world situation, everyone realizes that fantasy movies are hardly worth getting worked up about.

"Harry Potter. Anyone else notice that Hogwarts comes straight from Labyrinth?"

Well, "Hogwart" was only said once in Labyrinth, and it was a mispronounciation of "Hoggle." I doubt J.K. Rowling was really thinking of that when she came up with the name, unless it was on a subconscious level. When Harry Potter starts wandering a maze with a bitter little dwarf, then I'll start screaming copyright infringement. :smirk: Glad you liked the rest of my list, though.

DirthNader

Reaction score
[B"Harry Potter. Anyone else notice that Hogwarts comes straight from Labyrinth?"[/B]
*groan* "It's Hoggle!:mad: "..........Not really angry here, just quoting the movie :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
"Harry Potter. Anyone else notice that Hogwarts comes straight from Labyrinth?"

Well, "Hogwart" was only said once in Labyrinth, and it was a mispronounciation of "Hoggle." I doubt J.K. Rowling was really thinking of that when she came up with the name, unless it was on a subconscious level. When Harry Potter starts wandering a maze with a bitter little dwarf, then I'll start screaming copyright infringement. :smirk: Glad you liked the rest of my list, though.
Yeah, that was more of a speculative joke. Although, you never know. Ever hear of Toad the Wet Sprocket? Their name comes from Monty Python (okay, bad example. Toad the Wet Sprocket's probably much better known than Hogwart from Labyrinth). It's probably just purely coincidental, but... :smile: I like to cause trouble!

:wink:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Hmm...Toad the Wet Sprocket...a Fraggle Rock ripoff, perhaps? :wink: (just kidding)

leliebel

Reaction score
(careful, newbie speaking)

The labyrinth had a HUGE effect on my life, I first saw it when I was about six, my parents taped it for me and I wathched it occasionaly. Later I forgot about it. But when I was about 18 or so I whatched it again, and totally loved it! I was going through a bad period, nothing seemed to motivate me and I was constantly depressed, but when I saw the Labyrinth it cheered me up and more importantly it helped em to dream again.
At school my whole life was planned out for me. I was smart so I was supposed to finish school on the highest level, go to university and become a respectible citizen. I choose bioligie, physics and chemstry so I could become a vet (that and, besides from english I'm realy bad at foreign languages), but after a year or 2 I could see myself as a vet anymore, it wasn't what I wanted.
The labyrinth made me realise that I wanted to go to art school, eventhough my school had made me believe that I couldn't do it. Dreaming gave me a purpose, hope and above all some selfconfidence.
I'm currently taking a preperation course for art school because I choose the wrong subject, but I've allready been tol that it's more than likely that I will be allowed to attend. I've only had positive responces so far and that feels great. Haven't been depressed since I started there.

to all the kiddies: Schools are no evil, mine was just an exception. My school is notorious for pressuring people.

Conclusion:Go see the Labyrinth or I'll summon Jareth to take you away!