What sketches scared you as a kid?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
That first clip you described can be found in episode 2257. That fat blue AM dressed as a rabbit, then a duck, then a fish.

(And if the Count is reading this, the director's name is Lance, and Lance the Director was made from the original Guy Smiley puppet, but with frizzy white hair and eyebrows, sleepy lavendar eyelids, and a red kerchief-like garment sticking out of his suit. He also held a clipboard.)

mupitz

Reaction score
No one skit comes to mind as scary but I was freaking TERRIFIED of Super Grover. I don't remember why and regular Grover was a fave, but Super Grover had me crying and running from the room till his skit was over. LOL How lame am I?

Motown Mike

Reaction score
I remember one animated bit, based on the letter "p", in which a lady is on a picnic, and an army of ants comes and makes off with her food items one by one: plumbs, pot roast, peach pie...

At the very end the aunts pick *her* up and carry her off, as she says with a worried expression on her face, "Hmmm...peculiar." That one always spooked the bejeebers out of me.

Frogster

Reaction score
superfan said:
It wasn't really claymation as much as small marionette type puppets. Which part scared you...when the number eight fell or the daughters appearing in the windows one by one? The joker was little manic, admitedly.

Cute skit...too bad it scared you.
Ooohhhh... the whole thing scared me; the music, the way the mouth opened, each daughter appearing. Heck Jim's voice even scared me. Does anyone know where I could find at least a picture of that?

Frogster

Reaction score
Muppet Hockey said:
Hi, I'm new here and I have to say that the scariest sketch ever was the Ernie/Bert/Egyptian Tomb/Mummy one. In fact, I have been searching everywhere online for a picture of that scene and I was wondering if someone here knew where I could find one??? I'd like to show a few people the pic so they stop thinking I'm crazy (because those people never saw the skit). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
-Jennifer :stick_out_tongue:
I remember loving the fact that I was scared by the egyptian mummies of Bert and Ernie. I remember Ernie being scared as Bert left him to explore a cave. He starts singing Rubber Duckie, and all of a sudden, the egyptian mummy of Ernie starts to tapdance! Oh, what a great sketch! I don't care what people say about Bert and Ernie. They were always my favorites. The Bert moment that did kinda creep me out is when Ernie sang I Dance Myself To Sleep, playing a trumpet, and the sheep (or something, rather) carried Berts bed out with Bert on it.

Schmoo

Reaction score
Just found this site today, can't believe it!

Anyway, I used to cry at the Bert /Ernie/sheep sketch too! Was he playing a trumpet or a bugle? (I seem to remember a bugle...) I remember seeing Ernie's face peering through the window after Bert locked him out, and I would just cry and cry!

Another "scary" one I remember had to do with either Cookie Monster or Ernie (I can't remember which!) being scared of this lumpy thing in the corner of his dark bedroom. All throughout the episode, they kept going back to this particular sketch, showing how he was getting more and more scared....turns out it was just his blanket thrown in a heap! Anyone remember this one?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
It was Cookie Monster.

And welcome to Muppet Central!! :zany: :smile: :big_grin:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Don't know if this one's been mentioned yet, but I find it somewhat hysterical that I was afraid of this:

A sketch in which Maria and Linda dress up like Charlie Chaplin and end up mirror imaging each other.

Sound innocent enough? Well, here's what happened. When I was little I also watched old Scooby Doo cartoons in the afternoon. All the bad monsters and ghosts were usually found in the basements right? Well, one night, I had a nightmare that Charlie Chaplin kidnapped me and held me hostage in my basement and I screamed for my mom but she didn't come. After that nightmare I was terrified of the basement, Charlie Chaplin and that sketch on Sesame Street! It was a couple of years before I was convinced that Charlie Chaplin didn't live in my basement.

I don't remember this much anymore, but I get a kick out of the stories people tell me about it! :eek:

Schmoo

Reaction score
Thank you for your welcome, Muppetdude! :smile:

Oh yes, I remember the Chaplin skit! It was quite creepy! :zany:

Maybe I was just a real wuss as a kid, but Cookie Monster's song "If Moon Was Cookie" always made me cry... Not because I was scared, but it just had such a melancholy tune... Just like Ernie's song about living on the moon... :cry:

ceecee

Reaction score
I kinda got sad at "If Moon Was Cookie" too. I always thought how sad it would be if he really did eat the moon and we never got to see it again.