1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What sketches scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Jennifer, May 12, 2002.

1. Mr Devco New Member

This didn't have puppets at all but it was on sesame street. It's a montage of weird toys and robots
    lots of the songs creeped me out like alphabet jungle as well but the song is this video haunts me
  2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Not so much creeping me out, but the music they used always annoyed me. I think I liked it when I was really little, but I grew to not like this segment at all.
  3. heralde Well-Known Member

I'm PRETTY sure I remember seeing this and it definitely would have terrified me, lol. Toys always have that potential to be frightening, under the right light and shadow and all, hehe. That's the kind of horror I appreciate, making ordinary things look scary.

Actually this reminds me of the all the parts of The Christmas Toy that scared me, lol. (Though I am a big fan!)
  4. jacobsnchz Active Member

Mahna Mahna creeped me out! Especially the Sesame version.
  5. PsycadelicShack New Member

The sketch that scared me the most when I was a kid was definetly the 'Charlie Chaplin' style silent film sketches they did with Maria as Charlie Chaplin. I have no idea why it scared me, but it may have something to do with the paintings coming to life. My grandmother's house (for some odd reason) reminded me of those sketches, and for a long time, I was too afraid to walk in certain areas of the backyard.
  6. thegiftoutright New Member

Sketch with Bob - help!

Hi, all. I'm new to the forums and I would like to rack everyone's brains for a moment to ask:

Does anyone remember a sketch featuring Bob (and possibly Big Bird?) in which Bob is playing the flute (or a similar wind instrument) and he is wearing some sort of bird-like costume or hat/mask?

This clip used to absolutely terrify me as a child, for some reason. Something about the big, googly bird eyes on his hat/mask was deeply unsettling to me and I've been searching for a clip of it all over youtube for days! I wish I could remember more about it, but I haven't seen it since I was about 4 (I'm nearly 24 now).

Thanks in advance.
  7. jacobsnchz Active Member

8. Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

9. ISNorden Active Member

The Muppet in that clip was Oscar; Bob had disguised himself as a grouch (calling himself "Bob the Blob") to ruin Oscar's TV show by playing beautiful music. Of course, the all-grouch audience hated the act...:grouchy:
  10. AAO Member

The scariest thing for me as a child was, and I'm sure many would agree, was when Ernie and Bert were in Egypt in the pyramids. When the "tomb king Ernie" (whatever) came to life it scared the heck outta me. I hated it because his voice was so echoed and faint and he looked like a dead Ernie! Was very scary and humorous at the same time! I really do enjoy that one now but it still gives me a weird feeling. A great sketch but creepy! It's on youtube...
  11. Muppet dude Active Member

Like I said, I must be the only person I know that wasn't afraid of this skit as a kid :rolleyes:
  12. heralde Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing that sketch as a kid, but I saw it recently and I don't think I would have been scared either (and not just because I'm a grown up now), if that helps, hehe. :insatiable:
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Me, I loved it. I really did.

And for the record, yes... it was supposed to be creepy. That was the point of the skit, to not be afraid.
  14. fleecenotfelt Member

hello i'm new here ^_^* and i just HAD to respond.

I TOTALLY WAS AFRAID of bert and ernie at the pyramids! compounded with watching indiana jones at a young age, it made very afraid to be an archaeologist. i always thought that ruins were boobytrapped. ALSO, i never would go to the egypt room in museums alone.

does anyone remember this, one FRREAAAKY claymation that takes place at dusk on a farm. and it's super hot and there's a drought, but then it rains and everyone's dancing and happy? the people's faces were so grotesque and creepy. to this day, i still cringe thinking about it.
  15. Son of Enik Member

I DO remember that skit...that was creepy! I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.
  16. Ilikemuppets New Member

That one still gives me the creeps but I've always loved it anyway. Love Bert's reaction in the end! Too funny!
  17. WaiterGrover New Member

First of all, Hi... or should I say, "Hello Everybodeeeee!"- First post.
    I've read the entire thread, and there's tons of stuff I agree with; the BDM/"B" sound sketch had scared me so bad I'd blocked it out completely- I didn't even remember it, seeing it on YouTube, until right when BDM starts breathing in... when he turned to the camera, some corner of my brain relived the frozen terror I must've felt at 3 or 4. Willie Whimple didn't frighten me, but it did make feel sad and horrible. The Pyramid sketch always spooked me at first, but by the time pharaoh-Ernie was dancing, I was fine.

The armless baby/danger cartoon freaked me out, as did the creepy "V" animation (violin...valentine...etc.). The part where the Viking ship's head snaps off bothered the heck out of me. "The Six Dollar Man" bit would make me run out of the room- the head coming off, and mindless jerking around/lab destruction while the scientist cackles away... SAM the robot, Ernie's zombie eyes... there's plenty more that others have already mentioned.

The one that I was really surprised that NOBODY's mentioned yet was the New Flash with Pinocchio! GAWD did that freak me out... even though as a toddler I had no way of knowing his head was pressed against the wall for the broomstick to go through it, it just looked WRONG, and when Kermit's outside, and you hear Pinocchio's distant voice lying and lying and getting higher and higher? *shiver*

I also voice my solidarity with the poster who would get furious at the adults NEVER seeing Snuffy; I'm an "old-schooler" myself, so I was a little bitter when I heard they FINALLY put and end to that, heh.

Oh yeah- not Muppet-related, but "Interplanet Janet" from Schoolhouse Rock used to upset me, simply because she was a human head and some angel wings grafted onto a rocket. Too much blurring of alive/not alive for my toddler brain... Ah well- that's it for now, see you at the therapist's office ;-)
  18. Ilikemuppets New Member

Hello WaiterGrover! And welcome to repressed memories thread! Just kidding... Sort of.:p ;)
  19. heralde Well-Known Member

I can't believe I never mentioned this! There was one time when Big Bird wanted to spend time with Maria, but she was too busy asnswering phones and doing work. Big Bird is sad and ends up writing a story about a bird superhero (Blue Bird I think) who stops the villian (played by Maria) by burying her in telephones. I just remember Blue Bird being kinda scary looking, all serious and fierce, lol.
  20. ISNorden Active Member

Those "Snuffy sighting gone wrong" incidents may not have frightened me as a girl, but they always made me feel sorry for Big Bird. The one where Snuffy wore the striped pajamas (and got the adults confused about his appearance) still stands out in my mind; did anybody else see that as a kid?