What sketches scared you as a kid?

BipBippadotta

Reaction score
I don't understand why I haven't posted to this topic. I thought I already had.

The two sketches with Bip in them Fat, Cat and Some and None gave me well nightmares I guess if you can call them that. They were disturbing dreams but looking back I dont know why they were. Something about him running up to the camera made me think he was coming to get me.

I agree with Gonzo when you say that Ernie pulling off Bert's nose--dismemberment is scary. I had a dream once where Bert was missing his entire face and I heard an ominous horn in the dream that I am sure is somewhere in the show. It was just not pleasant.

And there was one skit where the count was opening his door for the mail man and counting mail. That sketch was scary. It had this music that was not his normal gloomy entrance theme. Now If the Count were to coming after me up to the camera in those sketches I would definitely be frightened. Ahhh memories.

One last thing does anybody think that Bip in those older sketches looks like Yosemite Sam?

Censored

Reaction score
BipBippadotta said:
I don't understand why I haven't posted to this topic. I thought I already had.

The two sketches with Bip in them Fat, Cat and Some and None gave me well nightmares I guess if you can call them that. They were disturbing dreams but looking back I dont know why they were. Something about him running up to the camera made me think he was coming to get me.

I agree with Gonzo when you say that Ernie pulling off Bert's nose--dismemberment is scary. I had a dream once where Bert was missing his entire face and I heard an ominous horn in the dream that I am sure is somewhere in the show. It was just not pleasant.

And there was one skit where the count was opening his door for the mail man and counting mail. That sketch was scary. It had this music that was not his normal gloomy entrance theme. Now If the Count were to coming after me up to the camera in those sketches I would definitely be frightened. Ahhh memories.

One last thing does anybody think that Bip in those older sketches looks like Yosemite Sam?

I can relate. That episode where Oscar got a nose put on him by the witch, that I mentioned before, actually gave me two weird nightmares. The nose on Oscar skit was fresh in my mind and it somehow triggered a dream about Oscar being turned into a tree (probably mixed in with the Sesame cartoon where a boy got turned into a tree for a year). Anyway, in my dream, Oscar was turned into this big tree that clumped around on Sesame Street. Oscar asks Gordon what happens to trees. Gordon said, "Well, they get chopped down." And on that ominous note, I woke up. I had another bad dream where I was taking a brand new Oscar puppet out of the box, and inside, there was the accessory of a nose to put on him, just like on TV. That's all I remember from that dream. Looking back, it's all pretty silly and laughable, but it sure didn't seem that way then.

Funny though, as much as it bothered me to see Oscar have a nose put on him, it never really bothered me when Ernie took Bert's nose off. It always seemed like it was just a tongue in cheek joke that every once in a while the characters reminded us that they're really just puppets. Besides, you always knew that Bert would get his nose back either on screen or off screen. There was actually a skit where Ernie lost his nose and it seemed a lot more ominous. Ernie and Bert are looking straight ahead into the camera and debating whether they see the "mysterious nose snatcher." Ernie gets right up to the screen, we hear a plucking sound, and he comes back without a nose, now convinced that it was the mysterious nose snatcher. Or "nose sneether" as Ernie pronounces it in a nasal voice after his nose is gone. That seemed more disturbing because it wasn't really clear how Ernie was going to get his nose back.

As for the Count, yes that mailman skit was early on when the Count was much more scary, unlike the silly but harmless eccentric that he would eventually evolve into.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember a dream I had where Ernie was bugging Bert in bed. Bert turned his head and opened his mouth and he had sharp teeth. And was growling! I could never look at Bert the same again after that dream.

Crazy-Animal

Reaction score
I was very scared of the count as a kid, I used to run out of the room and scream, no matter what he did. Now I love him I think he's cute :smile:

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I recall a rather wierd experience occuring when I was about four years old.Early one morning,when it was still dark outside,I found myself half awake while trapped in some kind of bizarre nightmare.All it was was a bunch of loud and scary noises.Whenever I tried to get out of bed,I would feel a hand grab my head and lay me back down.This went on for roughly half an hour,before I was fully awake.It was that following evening,when I saw a particular Ernie & Bert episode on TV for the first time.It was the episode that begins with Bert reading a book about oatmeal recipes,while Ernie kept walking in and out of the apartment with a glass of water.Bert kept questioning Ernie about what he was doing,and never got the right answer.Finally Bert got thirsty,so Ernie let him drink his last glass of water.After that,Ernie explained the broken faucet to Bert.The episode ends with bubbling water filling up the entire room.
Now get this,a week or so later,I saw this same episode for the second time one morning.And the following morning,when it was still dark out,I found myself trapped in that same bizarre nightmare.
On my third occasion of seeing that Ernie & Bert episode,I didn't want to watch it,because I didn't want to have that nightmare again,hahaha. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

SesameMike

Reaction score
scary animations

Does anyone remember these animations?

The only part of this animation anyone seems to remember is the end. It involves a captain on a sinking ship yelling "Land, ho!". Then he calmly adds "Oh never mind". We then see the ship sinking from afar, after which a large bubble rises out of the water and pops in mid-air. Pleasant nautical-esque music played here, but was that not kind of a sedate treatment for drowning at sea?

The other animation was a more dark one. It involved a bunch of grotesque giants or monsters who do grotesque things. One monster "drinks all the sea", as it shows a monster drinking a huge body of water through a straw. One drained, we see a (sail?)boat tip over on the dry seabed. Another monster "screws off his head" and he does just that! I'm not sure if my reaction to that was scared or "cool, if I could do that". I think the purpose of the animation was to teach counting.

SesameMike

Reaction score
There was one E+B sketch in which Ernie was uncharacteristically malevolent, at least in words.

It was when Ernie was about to show Bert his ice cube collection. Ernie found these beautiful ice cubes, but they were freezing cold. So, Ernie took the ice cubes, put them in a box, and put the box under an electric blanket. Bert asked Ernie if he could see them, knowing full well what the outcome would be. Ernie is shocked to find that the ice cubes had been stolen. When Bert points out that there's water in the box, Ernie takes that as evidence that a fish stole the ice cubes. Finally, Bert explains what happens to ice cubes when you take them out of the fridge. Ernie then concludes that a fish melted his ice cubes.

"AND WHEN I CATCH THAT FISH, I'LL TEAR HIM FIN FROM FIN! Oh wait till I get hold of him!"

Bert bemusedly adds "Go get 'em, Ernie."

Also, I heard the word "kill" on an episode of Unpaved I was watching recently. It was this thing where the adults were adamantly trying to convince Big Bird that Snuffy did not exist. One means of doing so was with newspaper headlines, the likes of (can't remember exactly) "SNUFF STUFF IS ENOUGH". A Muppet newspaper editor was approving the words, and when he changed his mind he said "Kill the headline."

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i remember the E&B skit don't think that had been shown since the 70. also what's the big deal with the reporter saying kill the headline? let's not make such a big deal out of it i;m sure it's a tern reporters have used for years.

Desslok

Reaction score
Didn't get the chance to read all 26 pages, but I know some of these may be repeat listings, but here goes...

The sketches that freaked me out the most (or at least made me a bit uneasy):

1. The "rubber band guy" who counted to ten. Black background, and some funky computer lines that morphed into a kind of face (eyes, mouth, etc.). He had an unusually calm voice (kind of like "The Joy of Painting's" Bob Ross... "Let's count to ten..."

2. An animated segment about the letter V. The final shot featured a guy on the beach with a letter V embedded in his sore (and bleeding?) kneecap. He was complaining about how "it's hurting my knee!"

3. A muppet song about an Exit sign. The singer (a guy with blonde hair and Elton John glasses) was singing about "Exit," and everyone left the building. At the end, he was the only one there, asking, "Where did everybody go?" I don't know why it unnerved me. Maybe it was kind of an isolated feeling that he would have had there.

4. The live-action segment with the ball that tipped some flags and wound up being ground into powder. Must have been the freaky music.

5. Any time Ernie removed Bert's nose was kind of weird.

6. I remember one episode where Maria went down into Oscar's trash can. All you saw was a black screen and two sets of shining eyes. I could only imagine the stench of the place as they walked around.

7. Whenever Linda vocalized anything. As a kid, it was my first exposure to a deaf person, and I had no idea they could use their vocal chords (the thought just never occurred to me).

angryjohnny

Reaction score
The yip yips

:smile: those are all great ... for me it was the yip yips.. the aliens that would freak out when the phone would ring then they would imitate it as soon as it would stop ringing... they always scared the **** out of me.. but they are by far my favoite as well... if anyone sees a picture of them please tell me where you saw it..I've been looking everywhere for them.

oh ya sam the robot kinda scared me too.