What sketches scared you as a kid?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah Sesame Mike, I recall the "land ho" animated segment and the skit where Ernie says he'll tear that fish fin from fin. Those bring to mind a few others that were a little on the bizarre side. Remember a 3 part sketch where David and Maria are about to be married by a minister (played by Bob, I think). David kept searching for the ring in his pocket and finally finds it when they are all very old and white haired. He puts the ring on Maria's finger and the two walk away happy.... but then drop dead of old age! And then the minister drops dead too. Then there was a muppet who was narrating a story involving other muppets. At the end of the story one muppet comes up from behind him and says, "You big mouth!" and hits him on the back of the head with some object and causes him to fall face down on the table he was sitting at. And old film footage of a train smashing into another vehicle ( I think the segment was teaching about short and long).
Sketches that scared me as a little one:

(1) Remember the sketch with red and green anything muppets taking turns saying the alphabet? The very beginning of it scared me because suddenly there was a blue screen and a loud booming sound and then the red muppet pranced up the screen and said "A". Something about that frightened me as a child. They used to repeat this segment fairly often and there was a period where I would cover my ears every time another segment was about to end ( in case this one was the next one!)
(2) When Ernie counts balloons (after sheep and fire engines). After the balloon pops Bert's scream was so intense!
(3) When Grover was afraid of his shadow, the part where Grover tries to tip toe away from it and then yells, "Oh he's still following me!" I knew the shadow was not real, but Grover managed to make it a scary thing!
(4) There was a boy muppet (possibly Farley) who was talking about various subjects like hoping. Then he hears a repeated knock on his door and says he hopes it's not a monster. (The continual knocks and the increased loudness of them scared me). And then he finds out it really is a monster and he immediately runs away. By the way, the final line is hilarious. The monster says, " Aw, I just wanted to know if he wanted to play with my dolly and me. Oh well." :smile:

Mokeystar

Reaction score
Your #4 description reminds me of an animated feature that used to freak me out. This one ended in a similar way.
Roll waaaaay back, if you will, to the early seventies. If you're familiar with the Alice Braithwaite Goodytwoshoes (or whatever her name was) clips, this was most likely done by the same illustrator.
Here's what I remember. (I'm not sure how accurately I remember each detail, but I'll do the best I can.): You see objects being slowly drawn on a blank white screen. Then, in the distance, you hear a whiny-voiced girl and boy talking about the picture that's being drawn in front of us. As one of the eyes are being drawn, the girl asks, "What's that?" and the boy exclaims, "I don't know....It looks like a doughnut to me!" As the picture is rapidly evolving into a picture of a monster, the kids exclaim, "It's a MONSTER!" and that's all you hear from them for the rest of the clip. The monster then says to the camera, "Aw......all I wanted was someone to play with me and my teddy bear." Yeah....right! :smile:
Does anyone remember this one?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember!

Yes, Mokeystar, my memory serves me well on this one! It starts out with a circle being drawn, and voiceovers of people trying to guess what it is.
First it was a circle (round eye) with a darker circle drawn inside (the pupil). then it was colored in. Then we add lashes, and we determine it's an eye. Then a second eye appears, so we have a match. Then the camera pulls back, and we discover-horror of horrors!- it's a big green ugly monster!!!
But he invites us to play with his teddy bear (Awwwwww!!!) so he can't be all bad. :smile:

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
i'm surprised that i am only one of 3 people i know that was scared of "the word is no." that scared the living daylights out of me when i was younger! i know i posted that a while back, but just wondering, was anyone else scared of it besides me?
~Dana~

Soul H

Reaction score
You ain't alone my friend. Would you believe it took me 14 years to get the courage to see it again. Eversince then I been asking meself "What was I so scared about?!"

Fuzzy and Blue said:
i'm surprised that i am only one of 3 people i know that was scared of "the word is no." that scared the living daylights out of me when i was younger! i know i posted that a while back, but just wondering, was anyone else scared of it besides me?
~Dana~

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
wow, Soul H! I believe the last time I saw it on the show was in early 1997 and I was still jittering! My mom had to squeeze me between her knees to try to get me to watch SS and conquer my fear of it (and the fear was caused by having seen "The Word is No" when I was 3 years old and it scaring me, thus making it uneasy for me to watch SS from then on)...since early '97 I haven't seen it, and I'm not even sure now if I'd be able to watch it...

~Dana~

Soul H

Reaction score
Exactly what scared you?

Fuzzy and Blue said:
wow, Soul H! I believe the last time I saw it on the show was in early 1997 and I was still jittering! My mom had to squeeze me between her knees to try to get me to watch SS and conquer my fear of it (and the fear was caused by having seen "The Word is No" when I was 3 years old and it scaring me, thus making it uneasy for me to watch SS from then on)...since early '97 I haven't seen it, and I'm not even sure now if I'd be able to watch it...

~Dana~

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
I was particularly scared by the lips at the beginning of the segment and the angry countenances on Maria's and Gina's faces throughout the whole thing. How about you?

~Dana~

Soul H

Reaction score
Oh, the whole bazoola scared me. Back then everytime I saw those lips I immediately changed the channel. But you wanna know what really scared me? The sketch/song "U Really Got A Hold On Me". I still shudder at that song and video.

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
hey

If I were alone in the room, I would shut the TV right off if I saw that ominous pair of lips on the screen, but if my mom or dad (or both parents) were in the room, they'd force me to watch it...
~Dana~