The Amazing World of Gumball Thread

Which character is your favorite?

• Total voters

Harleena

Reaction score
Well, the Disaster and the Rerun just aired. I'm not gonna spoil too much of it. But the ending was surprisingly sweet, and the rest of the episode was extremely dark.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This was dark even by Gumball's standards. And not at all played for laughs like most of its darkness. Nice to see an episode where Rob is actually a villain, especially what drove him to villainy was being made a designated villain in the most literal sense by Gumball. I thought "The Others" was a great deconstruction of cartoon star hero focus. As in it's Gumball's show so every episode seems to gravitate around him or those closest to him. This one really took that and ran with it.

Though, one thing always got me. If Rob was in the Void, and the Void takes away memories of those who have been pulled into it, how the heck was Gumball supposed to remember him if he barely remembered Molly when she got sucked in? Seems like something that should have been addressed.

Also...anyone else notice the Atari E.T. game (bland name product-ified for the lawyers) floating around in the void?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Though, one thing always got me. If Rob was in the Void, and the Void takes away memories of those who have been pulled into it, how the heck was Gumball supposed to remember him if he barely remembered Molly when she got sucked in? Seems like something that should have been addressed.
But Gumball did have some trouble remembering his name.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That too. At least Gumball and Molly interacted a lot. So basically he wouldn't remember someone he never remembered when he barely remembered someone who was there every day. The presence of her missing weighed on Gumball and his mind was erased by the Void as well. Rob he barely noticed when the Void didn't erase him. Though it seems like one of those "sure, we could easily explain it, but then the episode would have no story" deals. Plus, it was at Gumball's insistence he was the villain.

Funny thing about Rob is, well...this is how he originally looked:

But somehow it was either easier or cheaper to animate him in 2-D, especially since he was no more than a background character anyway. So he was redesigned to:

So his very inclusion in the Void to begin with was an inside joke about how they just couldn't do anything with the character. They managed to take that one inside joke and make a major recurring plot point/antagonist out of it. That's why this show is so great. The level of commitment to an inside joke that they didn't need bother with.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Many characters received a redesign from season 2 onward, even major ones. I guess we can hand-wave that as "The Void did it". Gumball's CG design from the test pilot was lost in the Void, too, so it seems plausible.

So his very inclusion in the Void to begin with was an inside joke about how they just couldn't do anything with the character. They managed to take that one inside joke and make a major recurring plot point/antagonist out of it. That's why this show is so great. The level of commitment to an inside joke that they didn't need bother with.
And yet Molly was salvaged in her most recent episode, giving her a personality that works. So there's hope for Rob yet. :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
And yet Molly was salvaged in her most recent episode, giving her a personality that works. So there's hope for Rob yet.
OOh yeah, I completely forgot about Molly. I wonder if Tobias' sister is in the void as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that between this two parter and The Signal and maybe The Money and The Others, I think we can all know how Gumball is going to end.

"The Amazing World" is actually made for Gumball ala the Truman show, and he's not in on the conspiracy. Rob totally is, considering his "Don't you get it? This isn't real" comment. Rob TOTALLY just spilled it to Gumball his life is a TV show by saying he wanted to be the "cute side-kick who gets a plush toy and a spinoff," which you can guess Gumball waves off as a crazy rant. Then he accidentally pressed the channel up button while trying to save Rob, and is mystified by it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I got this dern song stuck in my head now:

I started watching the whole series from the beginning; I've been on and off for awhile.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, what was up with Josh? Was he mentally deficient or something in trying to enslave Anais?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems like the show is going to end on season 6. Hopefully this gives them the chance to close it up nicely, since we've only just gotten season 5 started.