Gluing Technique Help!

HandySam

Reaction score
I've been told that this has been covered in the forums before but for the life of me I can't seem to find it. I am having difficulty with gluing foam with contact cement. I don't know it its the foam I am using or if its that Im pressing the pieces together wrong but the foam always draws in at the darts where the cement is placed. I was told to go lightly on the cement and to not pinch the pieces together but that if the contact cement is dry enough that when I just touch the pieces together they will bond. so I tried this and I still have the foam draw in on me so that I have obvious lines on my puppets head where the foam darts are located. Am I not supose to use polyfoam from like JoAnn Fabrics? I think its the kind they make cusions out of but I am not certain. or is it that I need a different glue for that type of foam? I tried 3m super 77 but glued my fingeres to the foam instead of the foam peices together. HEEELLLLLLLP! :eek: I'd like to be able to make foam puppets some day that are not covered in fabric but just painted and I cant be having them look like pinhead from some horror movie or something. It's probably a no-brainer for most of you but could you help a newbie out please? What am I doing wrong here? How about it Buck? You seem to be the genius here.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
First, make sure you're using the right kind of contact cement. On it's label or packaging it should indicate what materials you can glue with it. I use LePage All-Purpose contact cement, but any all purpose contact cement gel should work.

You have to make sure you brush contact cement on to both sides of the foam. Leave it to dry until it gets tacky (anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes depending on the brand and room temperature). Once it is "tacky" (that is when you touch it is sticky but doesn't come off on to your hand) hold the pieces of foam side by side with the glued sides facing up. Then make a small pinch in the middle of the foam, followed by one at each end. Then pinch all the foam together.

It takes a bit of practice, but if you follow that method you really can't go wrong. I don't use Super 77 for foam-to-foam applications. It doesn't hold very well (the pieces may eventually separate) and it's not really manufactured for this sort of thing. 3M sells a different spray product for gluing foam to foam.

I also have explained this process to a degree here and there should be a picture of foam being pinched that might be helpful.

I hope that helps!

HandySam

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
First, make sure you're using the right kind of contact cement. On it's label or packaging it should indicate what materials you can glue with it. I use LePage All-Purpose contact cement, but any all purpose contact cement gel should work.

You have to make sure you brush contact cement on to both sides of the foam. Leave it to dry until it gets tacky (anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes depending on the brand and room temperature). Once it is "tacky" (that is when you touch it is sticky but doesn't come off on to your hand) hold the pieces of foam side by side with the glued sides facing up. Then make a small pinch in the middle of the foam, followed by one at each end. Then pinch all the foam together.

It takes a bit of practice, but if you follow that method you really can't go wrong. I don't use Super 77 for foam-to-foam applications. It doesn't hold very well (the pieces may eventually separate) and it's not really manufactured for this sort of thing. 3M sells a different spray product for gluing foam to foam.

I also have explained this process to a degree here and there should be a picture of foam being pinched that might be helpful.

I hope that helps!
Okay. I must be doing it right then because Tumbles has the same trench lines at the places where the foam comes together as my puppets have had. Must be that the people that make foam puppets, that dont cover the foam but simply airbrush the foam, sand the shape of the body and head or make it out of one solid block of foam or some other method than cementing parts together to make the head, body and arms.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Many people carve bodies from blocks of foam, but this is the only method for gluing patterns cut from sheet foam together that I've seen. Even if you're using hot glue the process is pretty much the same.

If you're using reticulated foam I know some people will stitch the pieces together, but this is not a method that I like.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
What do you use to brush contact cement on to foam and/or fleece and other things? I sometimes use scrap foam if I'm dobbing but those little acid brushes is what I use if its a long straight edge. The problem is they can only be used once.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Actually, brushes can be used as long as you want. I use just cheap painter's brushes from a local art store. The trick is to store the brushes in a jar or bottle partially filled with water. This prevents both the brushes and any residual contact cement on the brushes from drying out. Eventually when the contact cement builds up on the brush you should be able to peel it away easily. I also wipe my brushes with a piece of scrap foam after each use to minimize the amount of contact cement left on them.

Some people keep brushes in paint thinner, but I don't like to because of the fumes and because it's a chemical and environmentally unfriendly.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Actually, brushes can be used as long as you want. I use just cheap painter's brushes from a local art store. The trick is to store the brushes in a jar or bottle partially filled with water. This prevents both the brushes and any residual contact cement on the brushes from drying out. Eventually when the contact cement builds up on the brush you should be able to peel it away easily. I also wipe my brushes with a piece of scrap foam after each use to minimize the amount of contact cement left on them.

Some people keep brushes in paint thinner, but I don't like to because of the fumes and because it's a chemical and environmentally unfriendly.
Ahh! once again Buck. Thanks alot!

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I just recieved my foam book series and book and in all of those he uses 3M super 74 to glue foam together. He shows that by folding the foam in halves you end up with a wider surface for which to spray the glue and also he recommends wearing those disposable latex gloves so as not to accidentally kill yourself slowly. Great idea :smile: The foam book series is actually pretty nice. I have heard in this forum how many don't particularly care for the 3 peice head method but I think if you were to adapt it just a bit...say maybe a four peice head then cut the hole for the arm, it might look just great. Nip and Tuck is just a fancy 3 peice head method, so make it a 4 peice if you want more foam in the back of the head.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
I just recieved my foam book series and book and in all of those he uses 3M super 74 to glue foam together.
I'd still recommend trying 3M's foam-to-foam spray adhesive if you can find it. I think you'll find it works that much better.

ToastCrumbs

Reaction score
Act Fast!!! Muppet Whatnot Puppet Building Info!

There's a Vintage Muppet poster on eBay with only 45 mins left. Never mind the condition of the posters guys, it's what's on the back that is invaluable to all novice puppet builders.......HURRY UP, IT'S ONLY TWENTY BUCKS