Gluing Technique Help!

Show and Tell

Reaction score
wow that went fast! didnt even have a chance to see it first. it was gone in the same minute it went on sale. :cry:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hi, copying this over from another thread: Can anybody help?

The Good Doctor said:
I have a question to all those who make/ build there own puppets.....No I am not looking for you all to spill your secrets out to all of us here. I just want to know what kind of Glue you use to glue the foam together...I was using rubber cement, but after painting my puppets the cement bond failed and the puppet fell apart. Is there a better type of glue or bond that will work better? :smile:
Hot glue and Elmer's is best suited for paper products IMO.

I use Super 77 Spray Adhesive when necessary, and hot glue. There's also contact cement (highly toxic, use precautions).

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Weld Bond actually works on foam and is non-toxic, but it takes the better part of a day to dry.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
This is Great

Wow, you guys this is truly great! Thank you for all the good information.

Buck-Beaver..I checked out your instructions on making Tumbles the bear, I am confused about the arms and the hands. In the pictures when the hand is attached to the arm it looks great (like you glued the 2 have together trimmed them and turned them inside out or soemthing). The wires inside as well as around the outer edge are completerly hidden in the foam.

Also I was confused about what prevents the arm from bending the wrong way? And is it just the fabric that creats the Joints? Can Duct Tape be used in stead?

Does any one know if I can use Poly Foam to construct my puppets out of, or should I really try to get the other kind. And also why is this better?

Thanks for the Help

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Re-Red

I re-red the page and I think I got the idea. the hands are not glued together flat side to falt side. It is the edges of the hands that are glued creating the round efect.

I am excited now!

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Paint

Does any one know if painting the foam will cause the glue to break down and the puppet to fall appart? Also is there any way to protect the foam from its eventual breakdown?

Thanks. :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
All foam breaks down eventually and falls apart. Paint will usually accelerate the process by a few years, but it depends on a variety of factors including how often the puppet is used, how it's stored, etc.

The best way to protect the puppet is to store it in a cool, dry place (not a damp basement) in a box or container that keeps it out of UV light. Another option if the puppet is for display or will be used a lot is to mix rubber latex in with the paint - just be sure to paint it outdoors and take all the necessary safety precautions.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Rubber Latex

The one and only puppet I ever made fell apart after I painted it, I think because I used rubber cement and it did not respond well to the water based arcylic paint I used.

As for the Rubber Latex, is this the same stuff that is used for Halloween special effects ( cuts, Bullet holes, fake noses) or is it some other kind of Latex? Is it avalable at a a hardware store or do you think it has to be special ordered?

Again thank you for all your help.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Latex comes in various types. Here's a link to a company that sells all kinds of casting products including latex. You can just get regular latex from an arts and crafts store to test the process first.

http://smooth-on.com/