1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Gluing Technique Help!

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by HandySam, Feb 17, 2004.

1. The Good Doctor New Member

I have red everything in this post soi am very informed, at least I think I am. I was just ysing the regular paper rubber cemnet, so i will go to the hard ware store.
  2. ravagefrackle New Member

ok great , yeah , sorry i wasnt paying attention to wrote the post , i know you have been reading, :)
  3. The Good Doctor New Member

4. The Good Doctor New Member

Studio in the basement

Well gang my wife has decided to leave me, so no more studio in the basement. She says I need to grow up and be a man, and that she is tired of my being like a little kid....... Just when you think every thing is going great...BANG....Old lady fate comes along and screws it all up for you. Well i will have to put my puppet building on hold a little longer as I need to find a place to live.

"Take what you got and Fly with it!"
  5. ravagefrackle New Member

wow, man, sorry to hear that, hope it wasnt the glue fumes, lol, (sorry just thought you could use a litle levity in a situation like thta,

best wishes to u in what im sure will be a difficult time.
  6. The Good Doctor New Member

thanks, I really appreciate it. I am completly bewildered by the whole thing.
  7. The Good Doctor New Member

The New Place

Well gang I got a new place and it is better than my house, it is really nice and full of space. I have set up my studio inmy dining room, and plan to get started with soem sculpture asap.
  8. fuzzyandblue New Member

Believe it or not, I actually just saw special glue in the craft section of Walmart yesterday that is supposed to bond foam to things. It sounds too simple, perhaps, but maybe it would be worth a try? Sorry --didn't catch a name or anything. :confused:
  9. The Good Doctor New Member

I have seen that before, but always thought it was for little kids to glue those precut foam shapes together to make designs or stencels. I may be wrong about that, I have not look at wWalmart crafts in a long time.
  10. ravagefrackle New Member

the glue u are reffering to is ment for STYRO FOAM, not foam rubber, its a craft glue, worth a shot , but contact cement is the way to go
  11. The Good Doctor New Member

That is what i was guessing, but thanks for the info.
  12. SlamPot New Member

The sheet foam and glue method is usually used only for puppets where the seams can be incorporated into the design, or when fleece covering will be used.
    Lyle Conway told me he hand-carved the original Miss Piggy head from solid foam - finishing off with tiny curved nail scissors!
    When a replacement was needed, he re-sculpted her in clay. A mould was made, and subsequent Miss Piggys were cast in foam latex.
  13. The Good Doctor New Member

WOW, cool fact. :cool:

I always wondered about that because Piggy does not seem to be fleace covered.
  14. ravagefrackle New Member

not nessarily, many puppest over the years were simply just raw foam, the original memeber sof the electric mayhem, were just raw foam,all the frackles have raw patterend foam snouts, and many more, its all about being careful when you glue the stuff so that you dont over pinch the seems, or have rough edges,
    [/QUOTE]Lyle Conway told me he hand-carved the original Miss Piggy head from solid foam - finishing off with tiny curved nail scissors!
    When a replacement was needed, he re-sculpted her in clay. A mould was made, and subsequent Miss Piggys were cast in foam latex.[/QUOTE]

its still done today for all of the extra pigs, my last year thier we rebuilt many of the old pigs which were pretty much ruined when they were turned into boars for treasure island, its a time consumming process but i personally feel that it is a far superior method compared to the foam latex pig heads, they are very heavy, tear easy, and i dont think they move as well as the old carved pig heads
  15. The Good Doctor New Member

Cool facts, thanks alot.
  16. Show and Tell Member

very cool indeed!:cool:
  17. Show and Tell Member

I dug this thread back up to explain what is already common knowledge to most who has been building puppets but for the sake of those who have not. Gluing foam with contact cement.... The key really is double blotting. you really just want a hint of contact cement on the pieces your glueing. Don't try to put glue on more than 3 inches at a time. Put contact cement on a piece of scrap foam with a brush or what I use is a dobber like whats in a can of plumbing cement. I get them at a discount hardware store. When applying you should not see much difference in color on the foam or if you put so much on that you need to use a hair dryer to dry the glue then your using too much. A little wave of the glued pieces in the air should be enough. Forget the impulse that says if a littles good than alot is REAL good. I found out it's not. Because of this I had very dark yellow seams. Also when putting the glued pieced together, make sure the glue is dry. I've had many seams come apart from too much glue and not getting them dry enough before sticking them together. Line the seams up very carefully and instead of pinching along the outside of the foam where you see the seam, grab the foam and pinch it together in the middle to get a good bond. This is an example of what I mean.http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/puppet_builder/album?.dir=a87e&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos I still don't know how to post a link yet.
  18. Yeah, I work with contact cemant at work, and the longer you leave it to dry, the stronger the bond.
    This can mean, if you let both surfaces dry enough ,the bond will be very strong so ,don't make a mistake with the bonding or you'll have to start again ,because pulling it apart will ruin it.
  19. The Good Doctor New Member

glue

thanks for the tips...what cement do you guys use?

I was not able to see the pictures because I am at work can you send them to me here: scarecrow34@hotmail.com