The most tear-jerking Muppet moment...

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
I know someone who can't stop crying whenever someone sings Rainbow Connection. They played it on the radio right after her turtle died. :frown:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I felt really sad after watching The Talk, Listen, Connect: Changes video. Poor Rosita :sympathy:

The Lover

Reaction score
Right on.

I've got a few:

The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson/Jim Henson's Funeral-Both have such an impact, and are very emotional to watch. I was a little kid when he died and didn't hear about his death until years later when I was older. I remember thinking that it was sad, but now that I'm a young adult and have seen them for myself...it's so much more emotional now. He was a great man, whose magic will live on forever.

Kermit getting hit by a car in MtM-This scene really freaked me out when I was a kid, the idea of Kermit possibly dying was a very scary thought! Even now, the scene still gets to me. It's just so strong! Seeing him lying on the street hurt, and then the way the movie plays out afterwards with his friends finding him only to discover that he has no memories of his life whatsoever. Their pleas with him to remember them and his life, Piggy's emotional speech...! Everyone's love for him is very strong here!

The gang deciding to split up in MtM-Again, everyone's love and respect for Kermit (as well as for each other) comes through very strong here. The fact that they decide to split up because they feel like they're a burden to him, and think it would be easier for him, shows it. "Saying Goodbye" is sad to listen to too.

"I'm going back there someday"/Kermit's talk with himself in the desert in TMM- I LOVE that song Gonzo sings, and I think it hits home more now than it did originally because of "Muppets From Space" (One of my favorite movies, and one that is very special to me as well). The scene following that with Kermit talking with himself about his feeling of failure is emotional too, his leadership over his friends (his desire to do everything he can for them) and his somewhat protectiveness over them is very sweet.

Muppets From Space- This one is full of emotional scenes to me. Gonzo's dream being a big one, his irritation when Kermit and the others don't believe him about his alien roots, waiting for his alien family on the beach, Gonzo's implied death (kinda) and Rizzo's reaction to it (He was so freaked out, that he fainted! How sweet was that, you can tell the little guy loves his best friend!), Gonzo saying goodbye to everyone and the sad looks on their faces as he begins to leave...:cry:

It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie-This one, too, is full of emotional scenes to me. Kermit's overwhelming depression in the very beginning of the movie (a depressed Kermit makes me depressed!), Kermit yelling at Piggy to leave him alone, Fozzie's misery when he failed to get the money to Bitterman in time (it tears me up when he sees Kermit approaching him, and he can't bring himself to even look at his best friend because he's so ashamed), Kermit feeling miserable because he feels he let everyone down, Kermit screaming that he wished he'd never been born (Steve did a fantastic job here, the saddness and anger cracking his voice was superbly done), Kermit seeing how Fozzie/Gonzo/Piggy turned out without him (seeing how those three turned out really got to him, you can clearly see how much he really loves Piggy at this part), Gonzo singing "Everyone Matters" (I personally thought how Gonzo turned out, a defeated and lonely homeless man, was the most depressing of the three...he was the worst off too). I love the little gasp from Kermit at this scene, when the true severity of Gonzo's situation is made clear (since he didn't seem so bad off the first time we saw him...), Kermit's misery when he thinks he can't go back home.

Fraggle Rock, when Red and her friend are trapped in a cave- I haven't seen this show since I was about 4-6 years old, but I did love it dearly (enough where I'm determined to get it on dvd as soon as I have saved up for the series set). The other day, I stumbled across a very emotional scene from this show; where Red and another Fraggle (whose name I don't remember at the moment) are trapped in a cave. She comments on feeling really giddy, and I think he made note that he was getting tired and saying to her "you know what that means...right?" "...we're running out of air..." To see these two in a deadly situation, and to see them talk about the fact that they're about to die...was very powerful to me!

There are others, clips from Sesame Street and the Muppet Show, but I think I've listed enough for this thread.
Yeah, I must sgree. Those were some of the saddest Muppet moments ever. The song that Big Bird sings in "Follow that Bird!" where he was caged up and painted blue was pretty sad as well.:cry:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Muppet Central The Lover. The Fraggle character you're thinking of is Boober, the episode is titled Marooned, found in Season 1. You could purchase the seasonal DVD sets of Fraggle Rock, but be warned that only the first three have been individually released. For the time being, the only way you can get Season 4, comprised of the last twenty-four episodes, is by purchasing the Fraggle Rock Complete Set DVD release. There are deals posted here to help reduce the cost of that buy a little... You just have to search them out. Hope this helps and have a good time exploring the rest of the forums.

Yorick

Reaction score
Wow, you're all bringing up great examples! I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I have to put in a vote for "The Christmas Toy" when Rugby goes downstairs and starts singing to Mew. It's *amazingly* powerful and true to life.

I sure hope they didn't take Kermit out of the new DVD of that, like they did for "Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas"! I admit I never saw Emmet Otter with Kermit included, but I was still sad to hear he was removed from the DVD. There are parts in Emmet Otter that fit this thread, too! I totally love that movie as well.

Don't mind me as I keep referring to these specials as "movies" and "films" even though they're usually less than an hour :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, you're all bringing up great examples! I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I have to put in a vote for "The Christmas Toy" when Rugby goes downstairs and starts singing to Mew. It's *amazingly* powerful and true to life.

I sure hope they didn't take Kermit out of the new DVD of that, like they did for "Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas"!

Then prepare to be sorely disappointed, because that's hexactly what they've done.

Nick22

Reaction score
one would probly be when kermit sings "bein green."

explorer801

Reaction score
Tear-jerker

I always get a little sad when I see "Muppet Family X-mas" at the end when Jim is doing dishes & tells Sprocket he likes it when the Muppets have fun. Also when Kermit arrived on the "Remembering Jim" special & in "Kermit's Swamp Years" when Jim, as a young boy, picks Kermit up off the street when he falls. WONDERFUL & BITTERSWEET! :concern:

Zena Star

Reaction score
I think that...

Saying Goodbye, like for a number of people, is the saddest muppet moment I've had. Everytime I listen to it i think of people I've had to leave...and how the Muppet Performers must have felt when Jim...left. I never actually cried listening to it, but sometimes i feel like its too sad to make the tears work.:embarrassed: Or I'm jsut not being sad enough. one of the two, yaknow?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
ok I'm trying to wipe the tears away as I type i just got done with The Muppets Take Manhaten, and have to say no matter how many time I watch it and FTB i get teary eyed. Even when i know that everything will be ok.