Muppet reality pilot taped last summer

JohnFranklin

Reaction score
the pitch pilot filmed back in the summer was not a spoof, it was a real live reality show.

jf

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Perhaps a reality show that involves the actual puppeteers? How they live through the characters? That might be interesting... maybe. As long as they don't get plastic surgery or lose weight or get fired by Donald Trump or eat bugs.

-James

P.S.... It's Handy Andy, Not Randy.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Until more information is released I think that just knowing “reality” show is so broad and could be misleading. I would like to more detail before jumping to any conclusions. With that says; I think the Muppets could use the reality style as a great thing (if used properly), or they could misuse it and it could be a disaster. A “reality” type of show has great possibilities and could be an awesome style for the Muppets.

But let me start off by defining what type of "reality" show I'm talking about when I say it could be awesome. There are millions of reality shows and many different perceptions about them. So let me tell you what type of shows I am NOT talking about. I do not mean a realty show that is a competition, a game, or putting characters into a forced life-style or living condition. This would include shows like; Survivor, The Apprentice, The Real World, The Bachelor, American idol, The Simple Life, Joe Millionaire, For love or Money, The Benefactor, The Will, Road Rules, Big Brother, etc. This is what I think may not work and would just cheapen the Muppets to a parody bad.

The type of “reality” show I would love to see is the “fly on the wall” camera approach. Basically a loose and “real” look at the Muppets. No challenges, no confessionals, no forced conditions. Just the Muppets “lives” on cameras. Real life reality show like The Osbornes, or Nick & Jessica: Newlyweds. Now, being the Muppets are not real people and we can’t just follow there lives this leads to the fake, “reality” style, show. The best one is the show “Arrested Development”. The show is 100% scripted and 100% funny, and it is just a regular sit-com; but the style of the show is that of say a documentary. And it works; this type of show could work for the Muppets as the camera follows the “lives” of Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, and the whole gang as they live their lives and get in to mix-ups.

I don’t think a reality show parody (like Drawn together) is right for the Muppets and putting the Muppets into a fake reality competition or game show does not seem sincere or right for the Muppets. But an “Arrested Development”- type (or even like “Reno 911” to an extent) show – scripted, unlocked camera, loose, and reality feeling - would be great for the Muppets. It could be that Muppet sit-com of the Muppets day-to-day life many of us have talked about, but with unlocked cameras rather than the standard 3-camera “traditional” sit-com. I think it has possibilities as long as it does not cheapen the Muppets by making them a novelty act or a pop-culture lampoon.

I hope more information on the style and direction of this is needed be fore we can make a good assessment of the show “Muppets Reality Show” is pretty vague, but just knowing a new show could be on the horizon makes me excited. Lets see what they come up with.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Handy Andy said:
Reality TV is the Devil's Tool.

Please don't commit the Muppets to purgatory, as Antron Fleece burns very quickly., and foam gives off a horrible odor.

It's bad enough they were forced by the hands that be to appear with Jessica Simpson and Nick whatever his name is.

-James
i agree totally , but this is what happens when you promote someone thru the corporate chain, instead of seeking out someone to take charge of the creative endevaurs ,

from what i understand thru the rummmor mill this guy in charge of the Holding company is real gun-ho about this idea, why i have no idea, just seems like a really bad concept from the get go,

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The term "reality" is being thrown around a lot lately with people in TV-land. Today there are many type of "reality TV" shows, and the term has gotten a bad connotation. The term that TV executives use reality TV is varried. There are two major meanings for the term "reality" the first has to do with the conent of the show, the other has to do with the style (look-and-feel) of the show.

When they talk of the content being reality it means it is what most think of when they think of reality tv. It could be some outlandish contest, sticking people together to compeate wildly or tolerate wild situations (or each other). There are many things that people think of when they hear "reality tv" --- a) they think stupid contest (Survivor, The Apprentice, American Idol) or b) people looking for love (The Bachelor, For Love or Money, Joe Millionaire) or c) "stupid" people doing stupid things (Real World, Simple Life Osbornes, Newlyweds) or d) all of the above. But in today's TV world the term "reality" has taken on a new meaning.

But the second meaning of "Reality" refers to the feel of a show. Reality now basicly refers to any show with "unlocked" cameras (full sets 360 sets; no static/smooth cameras; no "perfect" lighting; and a real feel), no laugh track (or studio audiance reactions), and loose real-feel script (or even lack of script). It also means no "dream sequences" or other "un-filmable" segments. The term reality does not mean what you are seeing is real, that it is unscripted, that there are prizes, competions, love searching, stupid people, or what not. It is a term now used to determine not only the content of a show, but also just to look and feel of the show. Shows like Arrested Development, and Reno 911 are called "Reality" in feel, but sit-com in content (they are scripted, have actual plots and punchlines, and they have actors playing characters) but the style of the show is that of "reality". Even Malcom in the Middle (a normal sitcom, but with full sets, unlocked cameras and no audiance) was branded a reality show style by producers to explain the look of the show when in development (and is still kinda with the show).

Being the Muppets arn't real and have not reality of their own to offer to film (they are fictional characters) it is most likely that it will be a regular Muppet sit-com but with a full set, unlocked camera, and no laugh track; the term reality is used to describe the feel so people wouldn't think it's a regular static sitcom. But the term will probally drop after production gets going.

Luke

Reaction score
JohnFranklin said:
it's not a spoof. it's a bona-fide reality show.

jf
You're talking about the American Idol style skits they were filming at Disney World last Summer right? That was pretty much done as a spoof, any Muppet reality show is going to be done as some kinda spoof to an extent.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
JohnFranklin said:
it's not a spoof. it's a bona-fide reality show.

jf
How on God's green earth can it be bona-fied, they're puppets, is it just an hour of footage of them in storage?

JohnFranklin

Reaction score
Luke said:
You're talking about the American Idol style skits they were filming at Disney World last Summer right? That was pretty much done as a spoof, any Muppet reality show is going to be done as some kinda spoof to an extent.
no. i'm talking about the pilot that was taped out in l.a. last summer.

jf

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Gelfling waldo, your writing quite alot thier, lol

anyway i am aware of the force of the"reality" show in todays market , i just dont enjoy them personally, and im not interested at all in seeing the muppets sucked in that world of bad televison.

the ideas behind these shows are not interesting or intriquing in the least,

Luke

Reaction score
JohnFranklin said:
no. i'm talking about the pilot that was taped out in l.a. last summer.

jf
Which was taped as part of that at the same time was it not? I mean, it hasnt gone to air anywhere else. It was done for that i think.