How to start making puppets?

puppetsrock

Reaction score
Can anyone help me?

I am new here so if I have missed the answer to this question sorry. I am looking for a patter to make a really great puppet. Our team has just had a big shake up our director left and took alot of our puppets. We have a great team and they are heart broken so I thought that I could make them some new puppets. I am very crafty and I can sew very well. So I am pruty sure I can do it if I could just find a pattern. I really can't afford to buy a pattern at this time as we are on a really tight bugget but I just can't let these great kids down they really need a pick me up. Dose anyone know where I can get a free patter for a nice puppet or at least a cheap one I love the puppets that David Pannabecker makes (that is what we had before). We can't afford to repace them and I am not sure if we can even afford his pattern right now. Please help me help them. I will not sell the puppet I make or the pattern I promise. Thank you for any help you can give.

CookieCountDawn

Reaction score
I've always wanted to make a puppet but I don't know how.

Does anyone know how should I start making a puppet and what materials and things I need? I would want to make a doggie puppet but I would like hand rods like a character from Sesame Street (like Elmo, Bert, Grover, Prairie Dawn).

Thanks. (sorry if the answers were already answered.)

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Puppets can be made of just about anything. However, Most of the puppets you see out there today are some variation of fleece and foam. As far as creating the character, I would recommend the 'Ratchet' tutorial on the Puppet 101 blog from Swazzle. (I don't remember the link right now.) Also, like has been mentioned before, check out Project Puppet.com. They've got great basic head and body patterns that can be turned into wonderful characters, with the additon of features.

Hope this helps to get you started!

CookieCountDawn

Reaction score
Thanks!

Is there a list of things that I might need to make a rod puppet? And where do I get foam/fleece?

Thanks again! :smile:

Blink

Reaction score
Thanks!

Is there a list of things that I might need to make a rod puppet? And where do I get foam/fleece?

Thanks again! :smile:
Hey CookieCountDawn,

Here is a diagram of a rod puppet in a PDF file format. You can find more by looking on this page and scrollling down to "Rod Puppet Diagrams". THere are tons of infomational bits to help you.

As for materials. Really all you need to do is a Google search or a forum search and all your questions will be answered. Here is something (besides the other link) to help get you started.

bigcyd

Reaction score
help in making oversized pirate head

hi everybody!

i'm interested in trying to build an oversized pirate head (like a mascot head)for my son for halloween. not sure how to construct it..any ideas! i'm not sure what material to cover the face with. i have a piece a foam that i carved out and made a crude face with but not sure what to do with it. i am very handy with a hot glue gun...lol...enjoy making outragious costumes for my kids for halloween.

checked out nicodemus' fursuit site but since i'm not needing to apply fur not sure what to do

Teenager's

Reaction score
Well if you're going to use that carved head you can still do it the same way as the fursuits but with fabric.

But do you want to build a diffrent head than the one you already have?

If so, I would recomend using one of the project puppet patterns or this one
http://www.puppetbuilding.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/round-puppet-head-pattern.pdf

and enlarge it by 100 or 150% at kinko's and make it out of foam or L-200 which is lighter, and can be bought at a car surplus store or a foam store, Regular foam is still good though. Its a either or thing not a better thing in this case.

Thats what I recomend

Honest George

Reaction score
Well, I'm new and didn't want to start a new thread but I am very happy. I had the chance to work with a professional puppeteer about 10 years ago which gave me some great experience and some foam puppet head patterns. Over the years a lot has happened, namely serving six years in the Air Force and surviving Hurricane Katrina, but my family is settled now and are ready to get back into the puppetry game.

However, I had thought all those puppet patterns lost to Katrina. But just last night my wife found them in an old box that had survived! We have two shows we're planning on putting together and now I have the materials to get building. We are very excited!

She also came across something else fairly interesting; John Kennedy's home phone number (at least 10 years ago). He went to the same univeristy I did years ago, IUPUI, and a teacher of his put me into contact with him over the phone. We spoke only once but as I recall he was very gracious with his time and advice. All things are coming up roses, and puppets, lately!