How to start making puppets?

Onath

Reaction score
Thank You

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have been a huge muppet fan since I can remember. Recently, I have decided to take my muppet obsession to a new level by creating my own. It was however much harder than I even realized. However, I have been reading just about anything and everything from here for building puppets. I would like to say thank you to all the posters for helping me finish my first awesome working very muppety puppet. Everyones posts have been priceless with helping me with my first build. Look for more posts from me. Once again thanks everyone.

Onath:smile:

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I have another Question. How do I make the mouth for the Puppet?

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
the mouth should be one of the first things you build. There are many ways of making a mouth plate- I recommend making it light in weight, comfortable, and flexible. Some mouth pieces are made from gasket rubber, leather, canvass, sign plastic, bleach bottle plastic...it is really up to you. I recommend experimenting with different materials and techniques. I like to make the mouths out of sign plastic- covered in fabric and for the finger grips I use tubes or sewn elastic waste bans.
Hope this helps

Teenager's

Reaction score
I....disagree TheCreatureWork, starting with the mouth is fine, but sometimes it's hard to get the head shape to fit to the mouthplate. Personally, I make the head first, and then make the mouth to fit.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
There are many different ways to skin a cat- like I said, trial and error, come up with your own ways that works for you.

PS- No animals were harmed in the making of this reply :smile:...especially cats
:smile:

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
She also came across something else fairly interesting; John Kennedy's home phone number (at least 10 years ago). He went to the same univeristy I did years ago, IUPUI, and a teacher of his put me into contact with him over the phone. We spoke only once but as I recall he was very gracious with his time and advice. All things are coming up roses, and puppets, lately!
John was just in northern Indiana last month and held a puppet making workshop. He was the nicest guy in the world. If you email him via his website, I'm sure he'll email you back. I barely remember seeing his puppet act at Union Station in Indianapolis when I was a kid. Glad to hear things are looking up for you!

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Thanks SJohnson.:smile: you're a good man. I shall dedicate this to your inspiration if I ever became famous as a puppeteer.:wink: