How to start making puppets?

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I use just the plain-ole-regular-type fleece found at any Joann Fabrics (or house of fabrics or whatever you call home). I've never tried antron. Fur also works nicely to hide seams, but it can take some brushing. I have a brush from my teddy-bear-making days that's a lot like a cat-brush. It works well on both the fleece & the fur.

(there's also this wonderful thing called long-pile fleece that I love)

SJohnson

Reaction score
I would suggest using regular fleece as well. You can also experiment with textured materials like terry cloth or thick felt.

HappyFeet

Reaction score
Excellent

Thanks for your help you guys! I am going to head to JoAnne's in about an hour. Can't wait to start checking out the fleece. One more question, do you all usually use some sort of spray adhesive to apply the fleece to the foam head/body? or do you stitch the fabric to the foam? What seems to work best? I am planning on trying to use some sort of adhesive, possibly just hot glue, but wanted to get some feedback. Thanks again everyone!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I do a combination of spray adhesive, hot glue and stitching....so I guess the answer is YES.

SJohnson

Reaction score
I don't. I use a method called draping to get the pattern and then the fleece or fur is just fitted over the foam. I tack it down with contact cement around the inside of the mouth.

Patience

Reaction score
First time Poster! Please Help! I've searched to no avail!

I spent 2 years in Fashion Design (I hated almost evey minute, but that's another story), so I know how to sew. I even know something about pattern drafting, at least the adult female kind (simply put I can visualize in 3-d from a paper pattern).

I'd like to make an open-mouthed muppet style puppet (meaning one with an arm-rod) but I'm not looking to duplicate or copy anyone.

My question/dilemma is: where can I get a basic pattern? I just need something to start with. From there I will undoubtedly make it my own.

I've looked at the patterns available at ProjectPuppet. The price is a too high without seeing what I'll be getting. (I've been blindly burnt too many times before) I watched a really great Tutorial on YouTube.

This is part one:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BKokfyY6ADQ&feature=related

watch part 2 here:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=InxmoeuYmzs

This is the kind of Puppet I would like to make, I can design a cover and even clothes for it, once I get the thing made. But right now I can't do much of anything other than dream because I don't have any idea where to start!

All I need is a pattern or even just a rough idea of size! The rest I can get from the video and my own know how.

Please Help!

Patience

Many of the links in some of the older posts no longer work. I did a search before resorting to a post.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
The best thing to go by for size, Patience, is your hand.... And then when burly men say "my hand wont fit in there" make it slightly larger the next time

I make my puppets from the standpoint of sewing, although I don't have formal training in any such thing, so I'm really interested in seeing what you'll come up with!

Patience

Reaction score
Please Help in Search of Starting Pattern for Foam Puppet

StacyRebecca,

Thanks for the reply. But I'm not sure I know what you mean. Use my hand to determine size? Well, I guess I do understand that, but how does that help with drafting an entire pattern? :search: I need something to start with first don't I? :confused:

If you asked me to make you a dress. I would take your measurements and use my basic blocks (they got pitched years ago, but you get the idea), draft basic blocks to fit your body and then use those pieces to design and make you the dress of your dreams. I'd even keep the blocks I made for you, so if you came back, I would have a starting point.

I need the basic blocks for a Foam Puppet, like the pattern used in the videos I refered to here: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BKokfyY6ADQ&feature=related

Even just the head would give me something to start with. :batty:

The body looks like a rectangle, same for the arms. I have a 6 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old, so I could trace around one of them for hands and feet.

Thanks for any/all advice/help,

Patience

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Project Puppet

If you are starting I would highly recommend Project Puppet- their patterns are well worth the money, and it is truely a great starting point in learning how a puppet is built. Go for the cheaper pattern first :smile:

Another really good starting point is the Swazzle Puppet Building Tutorial found here:
http://swazzle.com/blogs/2006/03/puppet-building-tutorial-ratchet.html

I also posted a free pattern on my blog, it's a rough pattern because it's old, and I never really intended it to be used in public- you can find it here:
http://puppeteersunite.com/?p=568

But again, really check out Project Puppet- you can't go wrong.

:super: