1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

How to start making puppets?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by charlynoa, Feb 20, 2005.

1. dmoss

dmoss Member

Thanks for posting those videos, Paul! Could you list which order would best for viewing them? I've watched the Supplies video, and you've got me terribly intrigued and interested! :)
  2. PaulyPuppets

PaulyPuppets New Member

Thanks! the order is as follows...
    1. Supplies Needed To Make a Monster Puppet
    2. How To Make a Monster Puppet Body
    3. How To Make a Monster Puppet Mouth
    4. How To Make a Monster Puppet Mouth Board
    5. How To Make a Monster Puppet Tongue
    6. How To Make a Monster Puppet Head
    7. How To Make Monster Puppet Eyes
    8. How To Make Monster Puppet Eyebrows
    9. Adding Monster Puppet Hair
    10. Basic Tips for Operating a Monster Puppet
  3. dmoss

dmoss Member

Paul, I loved it! My creative juices are going wild now! I've got so many ideas racing through my head, and I never DREAMED that I would be able to make my very own puppet! You've given me the tools that I'll need to throw my hat into the ring, and give it a shot...thanks so much for posting these videos! You've made a lot of people very excited, I'm sure!

I'm kind of wondering about the foam rubber portion, though...I know it's kind of impossible to show what the foam looks like inside the head when you're placing it, but where should the V end up once inside?

So excited to try this! :o
  4. pachududu

pachududu New Member

Hi I am passing through Washington D. C and I know some places to buy puppets, and accessories.
    thanks
  5. PaulyPuppets

PaulyPuppets New Member

DMOSS, the "V" should end up in the back of the puppets' head. And you need to pull the other end of the foam down snug against the top front part of the mouth board, so that you have a place to "sandwich" your four top fingers. I know that part is difficult to understand without seeing the inside of the puppets' head at that point. But try it and play with the foam in terms of shaping the head comfortably for you. It is all trial and error. Good luck! ..:) ... Pauly
  6. tbonepearson

tbonepearson New Member

I've been working on my 4th puppet on the webseries (Spellfury) and I want him to be a big lad like sweetums, I've been shooting video of the process:

How to Make a Giant Puppet - Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh78i47XdPU
    KoozbanianFrakl likes this.
  7. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I did a search and found people talking about this here, so I thought I'd ask instead of starting another thread. Does anyone know what other wire you can use for the arm rods? I like coat hangar wire and I read that piano wire works also. But I wanted to know what other wires work in the eveny that I can't find piano wire or wire hangars.
  8. Puppetainer

Puppetainer Member

There's always welding rod which you can find at most lumber stores. Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and places like that.
  9. Gonzo's Hobbit

Awesomeness, thanks Puppetainer.
  10. Edradour

Edradour Member

I have been buying (3/32") piano wire from a local hobby shop, but I've also discovered that Ace Hardware carries it too.
  11. charlie bird

charlie bird Member

cool !I saw a couple videos on youtube of this before,and I must say youre doing a pretty awsome job with the machanics and stuff.I want to make my puppet in progress have cable controlls but am not quite sure how to do it.It would be great if you could give me some tips on how you set up the bike cables and gave them the cool control thingamajig.
    thank you
  12. Lily

Lily New Member

OMG! So much awesome information!! I hope to be posting images of my own puppet soon. Its been a dream of mine to seriously make props and puppets for the creature shop...though I know that's a bit far fetched, no one can make me stop believing except myself...and I refuse to stop!

Thank you all who have posted links and inrofmation on this topic. I'm going to dive right in a see where my creativity takes me from there. :)
  13. Puppetainer

Puppetainer Member

Go for it! Another great site to check out is Puppets and Stuff. Lot's of very knowledgeable people only too happy to share and help you along your journey. Best of luck as you embark on your adventure!
    Here's the link if you're interested.
    http://puppetsandstuff.com/index.php
  14. I just wanted to thank you guys for the Link. I've been working on a project for a while, and this helps a great deal.
  15. Friskies

Friskies Member

I am in love with this thread! I'm in the middle of building my own puppet, and I have learned a lot of cool things and tips from this thread alone!
  16. kgCannarile

kgCannarile New Member

Hi everyone,
    I discovered this site almost a month ago when I started my first puppet, which still lies in pieces on my desk. I bought the glorified sock puppet pattern and had a question regarding big floppy ears. Something similar to bat or the gremlins ears. How would I attach them to the head without putting to much weight or pull on it. I found a few posts about how to work the ears in with foam but I was a little unsure if the same method would work with sock puppet heads.
    Im trying to make this puppet as professional as possible since it will be part of a pitch to a board of directors.
    Thanks for all the help!
  17. Gonzo's Hobbit

Have you tried simply sewing the ears to the head?
  18. Trusty Mutsi

Trusty Mutsi New Member

Hi everyone. I've been looking at this thread for a bit, and I still feel a LITTLE bit overwhelmed. I'd like to start doing puppet shows for my church, and maybe even start a youtube series. I want to puppets to look good, and the shows to be funny for kids AND adults (like the Muppet Show).

I think it would be best to start with a simple puppet. What do you guys think is the best puppet I should start out with, for relatively cheap?

Any feedback is SUPER appreciated!
  19. Puppetainer

Puppetainer Member

My first suggestion is to head directly to Project Puppet and check out any of their Simple Series patterns. For as little as $19.95 you can get a terrifically useful pattern and some invaluable instruction on the techniques required when working with the required materials! I too spent MANY hours scouring the internet, and the library (anyone remember those?) for anything I could find on how to build puppets. It's true you can find free patterns and information on the internet but if you really want to jump start your education I can't think of a much better way than Project Puppet!

Another great resource is the Puppets & Stuff Forum. Many of the same fine folks who hang out here also check in over there, but for instruction, creative assistance and ideas it's hard to beat Puppets & Stuff. Good luck with your puppet building!

http://www.projectpuppet.com/
    http://puppetsandstuff.com/community/index.php
  20. Trusty Mutsi

Trusty Mutsi New Member

Perfect! I was hesitant on the price, but it sounds like it's well worth the investment. The "Glorified Sock Puppet" looks PERFECT for one of the characters I'd like to make. My next character would be an owl. Not sure how I'd handle the mouth on an Owl puppet :(