Your Thoughts: Fraggle Rock Season 1

christyb

Reaction score
I have a quick question for all you who are complaining about Best Buy. Ok so it's really a stupid question. You didn't get your CD-Rom's?? I bought mine from my local store and it had the CD in it. Very odd....

minor muppetz

Reaction score
my reviews

I bought the set on the day that it came out on. I haven't watched everything yet. Here are my reviews of the episodes I watched so far.

Beginnings: a good introduction to a good series. It's too bad that Junior Gorg only makes a cameo appearance and that the other gorgs don't appear in this introduction episode. five stars.

Thirty Minute Work Week: It is easy to tell that this was the first episode filmed because some of the characters look different compared to how they would look for most of the first season. Gobos hair looks noticible longer than it would for the remaining 16 episodes at the beginning of the first season. Traveling Matts flashback (with a cameo by Dave Goelz) is clever. I like the Working song, and the fact thta Wembly and the trash heap thought that you have to know how to start a fire to be a fireman. I wonder why the fraggles need to work thirty minutes a week. Do they even need money? five stars.

The Terrible Tunnel: This episode was amusing. I like the Doc and Sprocket sub-plot. The Storyteller is a funny character. four stars.

I want To Be You: When Red pretended to be Mokey, she sounded so much like mokey. I think Mokey would have sounded the same way if karen prell ended up performing Mokey. It's also funny that Boober thoguht he had a disease because of how his voice sounded. four stars.

The Challenge: Is Pa Gorg normally absent minded? And what's up with Gobo wearing a hat in that episode? The Dixie Wailing song was good. five stars.

Finger of Light: a good episode. It is cool watching the fraggles balance pickles on their noses. marlon is funny. four stars.

Catch The tail By the Tiger: A very good episode. Too bad we don't get to see a flashback to the post card that arrives at the end. And where the other Fraggles (besides Red) trying to avoid hearing a post card? five stars.

Don't Cry Over Spilt Milk: In the first episode, Doc said that he would eventually board up the hole in the wall, and in this episode he does. It is cool watching Gobo dance inside a basket or whatever it was that he was hiding inside. five stars.

The Minstrel: A classic episode featuring Jim henson as Cantus. I wonder what the show would have been like if Jim Henson had more characters (or if Frank Oz performed on the show). five stars.

Marooned: It is interesting seeing Boober and Red trapped in a cave-in. I was expecting the ceiling to fall and almost trap them. Five Stars.

Mokeys Funeral: I liekd Mokey tricking Junior Gorg and the fraggles. I didn't realize that the other fraggles disliked Mokeys poetry. four stars.

I'll post more reviews later.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Thoughts from a new inhabitant of Fraggledom

First, a surprise about the CD-ROM--it's actually Mac-compatible. Wow. I even tried the game and it worked fine (though I wasn't very good at it--if you want to see semi-animated Fraggles falling in the water with a splash, this is the game for you).

As for the series itself (much more important). . .
I grew up in a house without cable, and since Fraggle Rock was on HBO, I had no way to see it--even though I knew it was on, and wanted badly to see this new show with Muppets from Jim Henson. I got to see part of one episode at someone else's house, I saw the short Fraggle bit in the Muppet Family Christmas, and I saw pictures of them in magazines and such--that was my total Fraggle exposure growing up.

When HIT released the first Fraggle DVD earlier this year I bought it, fully intending to like it and grateful for my chance to finally welcome another corner of the Henson universe into my life. (Yes, I know there were some VHS releases, but I never had any for one reason or another; and I still don't have cable, so if it's been in reruns I haven't seen them.)

I knew the box set was coming, so I didn't get any of the other individual Fraggle disks--so here I am watching Season 1 for the first time, taking it slow, letting the famed "Fraggley goodness" seep into my soul. I watched episodes 1-3 last night, revisiting what was on that first HIT DVD--and found with joy that they were even more fun the second time! Tonight I watched episodes 4-5, with a half-hour doing other stuff in between them (I can't appreciate shows properly when I watch too much at one time--I like to let each episode digest before moving on.)

Ah, basking in new delights of Muppet glory!

WemblinKate

Reaction score
christyb said:
I have a quick question for all you who are complaining about Best Buy. Ok so it's really a stupid question. You didn't get your CD-Rom's?? I bought mine from my local store and it had the CD in it. Very odd....
I pre-ordered it online. I think you had to buy it from the actual store to get the CD-ROM. Really annoying, and stupid on their part.

BEAR

Reaction score
Lets change the world!

Okay, so I just bought it today, and...WOW!! I have not seen this show in years and years since it has been on Disney Channel when I was young so I don;t remember a whole lot about it, just the basics. I adore this show and everything it stands for. I mean, I always knew it was a unique program but before tonight I never realized how groundbreaking it was in children's medium. I have really only watched the interviews on the DVD so far. They talk about how it was created as a way to stop war. That goes along with everything I believe in when I do my theater. I always believe in using the art as a way to help change the world. And I believe that is what Jim Henson was going for in most of his projects, right? To make the world a better place. I am so grateful for this Fraggle Rock release. We probably need it now more than ever.

WemblinKate

Reaction score
SillyRed said:
I am dying to know what they said about the "Marooned" episode!!!
I don't want to spoil anything, but they have Karen and Dave talk about their characters and how beautiful the song was. Apparently when they were filming the scene, there were some people tearing up. They intermingle it with clips from the episode. It's really cool.

Emosewa

Reaction score
I actually finally got to watching it today, and I have only one question. What is that wonderful song playing during the uncle matt shot during the behind the scenes segment? I have all the shows on tape and don't recall it anywhere, but my memory isn't exactly a steel trap. ^_^

Erine81981

Reaction score
Emosewa said:
I actually finally got to watching it today, and I have only one question. What is that wonderful song playing during the uncle matt shot during the behind the scenes segment? I have all the shows on tape and don't recall it anywhere, but my memory isn't exactly a steel trap. ^_^
Its a song that was only shown on Traveling Matt segements in the UK versions. I think thats right. But it's a cool song. I have two versions of the song.

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
Emosewa said:
Erine81981 said:
Its a song that was only shown on Traveling Matt segements in the UK versions. I think thats right. But it's a cool song. I have two versions of the song.
It was entitled Around The Universe and yes, there are two versions of the song (instrumental and vocal). Both are available for download at my website: ~ Fraggle Rock - Keeping The Magick Alive In Music ~