Return to Oz

Imawitchusay

Reaction score
They did a fantastic job, Walter Murch the Directer wanted the movie to be "realistic" So that is why he hired the creature shop to do the puppets. They did a hen, jack pumkinhead, the gump, tin woodsman, lion, scarecrow and more! And this was in 1984-85 right before Labyrinth. I wish I could talk to some creature shop people about this movie.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Actually, Jim Henson's Creature Shop didn't do the puppets. Lyle Conaway, who helped form the creature shop, broke away and started his own company, and he did the puppets for Return To Oz, as well as performed the voice of the Gump. At the time, Brian Henson went over to Lyle's company and performed Jack Pumpkinhead. He even stayed with Lyle to work on Audrey II for the Little Shop of Horrors movie. But I can see why you'd think the work was done by the creature shop. Given Lyle's history with them, it's obvious that they share similar styles.

Imawitchusay

Reaction score
Right you are. It was Brians first project on his own with out his Dad. I think they all did a fantastic job! I really miss 80's fantasy movies......