Well I guess it's officially started!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Christmas is wonderful but it's sad that it has become far too commercialized

The real meaning of the season is lost to many people. Christmas is celebrated first of all by Christians because God the Father loved the world so much He gave the gift of His Son Jesus to forgive us for our faults and wrongdoings. I don't knock the pretty lights, the lovely decorated trees, the parties and the presents and all the seasonal music and movies. Even the legend of Santa Claus, upon which much of the music and movies centers makes the time enjoyable. :big_grin:

But it would be nice if more people acknowledged that Christmas is essentially a celebration of the Christian Church. Fewer and fewer non-Christians diplomatically recognize this now, making it an excuse for getting drunk and causing far more car tragedies than the rest of the year. And Santa is getting far more attention even in some Church groups than our own Lord Jesus.:cry:

So I say to all my brothers and sisters in the faith: It's the most wonderful time of the year fersure, but let's strive to keep Christ in Christmas. Don't cross him out when you write Merry Christmas (X-mas:frown: )

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oddly enough, we had a discussion about this on another thread and it turns out the "X" is a Greek term for Christ. I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know that. It's ironic how people now use it to erase Christ from the holiday. :stick_out_tongue:

I don't mind people celebrating Christmas as a secular holiday. But it shouldn't be a crime to celebrate it's religious meaning. :smile:

I don't think the decorations, lights, trees, and Santa should have to take away the religious meaning. It should all contribute to the celebration. That and, of course, being generous and kind to people (that's the easiest thing to forget).

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
That is ironic indeed heralde:stick_out_tongue:

And what you posted is well said. Kindness and generosity are two of the most important traits of the Christmas spirit, and they are in accordance with the teachings of Christ:halo:

leliebel

Reaction score
Christmas to me is two weeks off from college which I can spend with my family. I love the decoratings, I love all our personal traditions and I love shopping for presents.

And my dog absolutely adores unwrapping gifts. She doesn't really care what's in it.

I feel a bit guilty sometimes for celebrating a holiday that doesn't really have anything to do with me, but my family's traditions are to important for me to me to stop.

I'm not anti Christianity but I probably do take part in some traditional Christmas things (mostly for the sake of my grandmother), but Christmas for me is all about family.

And I've started buying gifts over a month ago. :stick_out_tongue:

BEAR

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Last year, I sadly started a thread called: "Well I guess it's officially over", stating sometime in mid January that the 2005 Christmas season had faded from grace... BUT NOW IT'S BACK!
Last night:
• I saw my first 3 Christmas commercials on TV!
• Non stop Christmas music was playing on the "Sounds of the Season" Music channel on digital cable.
• I bought my first bottle of eggnog this year.
• AND I started shopping online for Christmas gifts!​

Now; I know so many people that say "I don't like Christmas anymore because it's too commercialized." :grouchy:
Well Bah Humbug to youse' guys! Pardon me, but I wasn't born in 1912, so I can't remember when Christmas wasn't commercialized! :excited: I L:flirt:VE the commercialization! I love retail stores and fortune five hundred companies demanding I buy gifts, decorations, food and all sorts of other crap, tis' the season! So whether you're disgusted that there's Jolly Holly Jingle Bell Merry merchandise everywhere the day after Halloween, or you're like me who hasn't grown up past five-years-old, I say to all of you:
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Amen, Dave! I LOVE Christmas, and I want this season to be more Christmassy than the last few years have been.

BEAR

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Oh my gosh, that's so timeless, I love it; how beautiful!

I always go to the mall on the 23rd even if I've finished my shopping, I L:flirt:VE the bustle! This reminded me of a quick story that happened to me over 10 years ago:

It was December 23rd and I hadn't done any shopping, so knowing I'd be awhile, I took my paycheck and headed to the local mall that was my second home and prepared for a busy night. I had been shopping for two hours or so (and just wandering the mall and "taking it all in") when I decided I needed to have a bite to eat. I took all my bags and my burger and sat down to eat in the food court when a good friend from high school saw me and came over to say 'hi'. He asked if I wanted to hang, and said that I really couldn't because I still had shopping to do, but he was more then welcome to tag along. We ran out to my car to drop off what I had already purchased and we moved our cars together so when we left the mall, we'd be able to leave together. We shopped for a few more hours and then just hung in the mall and talked. I couldn't tell you about what if I wanted to because I can't remember for the life of me, but we talked until the mall closed (which was late due to the holiday season) and then talked even longer until we got the hint from the mall cleaning staff that we really should go. We looked at the time and saw it was almost 1am! We had managed to stay inside the mall another 2 hours after it closed, right into Christmas eve morning, and when we stepped outside into the night, we were welcomed by the first snow of the year. A good 3 inches covered our two cars which were the only ones in the parking lot. We talked maybe another hour before we got in our seperate vehicles and drove home. That mall has since closed down and I only see that old friend on extremely rare occassions, but that night was one of my warmest Christmas memories I ever had.

Wow! That's really a beautiful story, Dave.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Last year, I sadly started a thread called: "Well I guess it's officially over", stating sometime in mid January that the 2005 Christmas season had faded from grace... BUT NOW IT'S BACK!
Last night:
• I saw my first 3 Christmas commercials on TV!
• Non stop Christmas music was playing on the "Sounds of the Season" Music channel on digital cable.
• I bought my first bottle of eggnog this year.
• AND I started shopping online for Christmas gifts!​
Honestly, I get more depressed when Halloween is over. After the Simpson Halloween special, depressed. They don't even hold clearance Halloween merchandise that long anymore. Though, I DID get a big bag of Kit Kats for 60 cents 2 days ago.