Most disappointing episode of The Muppet Show

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I liked that epsiode.. loved Jerry Nelson's Fozzie Bear impression! :cool: .. but they didn't use Steve Martin much at all
Steve Martin is a very funny guy he was not funny in this episode infact I find it to be the most boring episode of the muppets ever.
I love Martin Short, and I actually feel like he did a good job... but none of the sketches felt... right to me. I dunno. I especially disliked the Flipper bit.

Although, I can't say it was a total letdown. I mean, Mama Fiama! Come on!
yeah thats why I loved that one so much! haha
out da way moma fiama bringin da sauce!
but yeah I hated the flipper sketch also.

Kiki

Reaction score
When I first got TMS season one, I didn't like the Harvey Korman episode. I just thought it was *so* boring at first, but I grew to like it. :smile:

aww I liked that one! lol
But going with the whole Martin thing I'd have to say the worst episode of the old muppet show is the Steve Martin episode.:sleep:
Same 'ere! I know the Steve Martin episode is a favourite of many people here on MC but I didn't like it, sorry y'all!! I'm not a big fan of his', either. I don't despise Steve Martin or anything, but I just don't know what people see in him, he's such a fruit loop and I just didn't like how the episode was set out. And that 'Mary Louise and Friend' thing just got o-l-d. :stick_out_tongue:

But each to their own. ^^

Mike Hambrook

Reaction score
Worst Episode ever

Quite possibly the worst episode of the Muppet Show for me was the Carol Burnett episode. This whole episode was just an extended version of "At the Dance".

<<I am making a document, and eventually a possible website, of my ratings for the Muppet Show Episodes. These are done in my opinion, rated 1 - 5 frogs (1 being worst -- and 5 being best). I am doing it similar to critics who use stars. I am just waiting for the Muppet Show to come back on Canadian Satellite TV, so I can finish it.>>

rexcrk

Reaction score
Well, of the episodes I've seen (AKA season one and the single DVD with Stever Martin, Gilda Radner, and Carol Burnette) this is what I think.

I remember not enjoying the Ben Vereen episode as much as I thought I would. I think I have to re-watch it or something. I also thought I'd like the Steve Martin episode more than I did. Well I'll just have to watch them again, they weren't BAD though :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Before I first saw episodes of the show, I show clips in compilation videos and the 30th anniversary special and The Secrets of the Muppets. I really liked it when I saw an episode that featured something that I previously saw in a compilation video or elsewhere, and the only way of knowing for sure that a clip that I saw in a compilation (or as a brief clip in the trailer for the Playhouse videos) was if I saw a clip with a guest star and knew who that guest was. But then again, I shouldn't make expectations based on one skit that I already saw and knew would be included. But I was confused when I saw the Loretta Switt episode and noticed that the clip with Loretta Switt that appeared in the preview for the playhouse videos during the montage for The Kermit and Piggy Story wasn't included. Ditto with when I first saw the Vincent Price episode on the Monster Laughs video and didn't see You've Got a Friend included.

I didn't get the internet until after Nickelodeon stoped showing reruns of The Muppet Show, and I wouldn't see any epsiodes that I hadn't already seen for seven years. When I first got the internet I looked up Mupet websites,a dn found an episode guide for The Muppet Show, where I learned more about episodes that I hadn't seen. But most of the epsidoes that I first saw after that lived up to my expectations or better, with the exception of the Juliet Prowse episode. There could be other episodes that I haven't seen yet that might not be as good as I expect them to be.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Season One episodes are set out *more* like a typical comedy-variety series a la Ed Sullivan, whereas from Season Two onwards the guests began to take a more active part in the backstage mayhem. Not sure who we can thank for that - Jerry Juhl maybe?
The original pilot version of the Juliet Prowse episode seems more like a typical variety show episode. It opens with a comedy monologue from Fozzie, instead of an opening number. In fact, the Florence Henderson episode was also more like a typical variety show episode, as it didn't have an opening or closing number.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
The original pilot version of the Juliet Prowse episode seems more like a typical variety show episode. It opens with a comedy monologue from Fozzie, instead of an opening number. In fact, the Florence Henderson episode was also more like a typical variety show episode, as it didn't have an opening or closing number.
I'd love to see the original Juliet Prowse pilot. Maybe it will be included as an extra on a future season of TMS?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This is just my own personal opinion, but I was kinda disapointed in the Spike Milligan episode. The Muppet parts were great, but I didn't think Spike was that funny. But maybe I'm not used to his sense of humor, I was never very familiar with The Goons comedy group.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I can understand heralde. The Goons were a very outrageous style of comedy. Full of silly puns and gags and from what I can remember of Spike's episode his humour was very much in tune with his Goonish comedy.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I can understand heralde. The Goons were a very outrageous style of comedy. Full of silly puns and gags and from what I can remember of Spike's episode his humour was very much in tune with his Goonish comedy.
Yeah. From some of the vintage bits I've heard, the Goons are definitely out there. But I like that kind of comedy. John Lennon was a die-hard fan of the Goons, as were several members of Monty Python.