Most disappointing episode of The Muppet Show

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but I believe Peter Sellers was about to reunite with the Goons in 1980, when he died suddenly of a heart attack.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah. From some of the vintage bits I've heard, the Goons are definitely out there. But I like that kind of comedy. John Lennon was a die-hard fan of the Goons, as were several members of Monty Python.
Yeah I know, and I love Monty Python! I haven't really seen the Goons as a comedy team before to be honest. I just know I wasn't that moved by Milligan's stuff. I've enjoyed Peter Sellers a little bit more. ::shrugs:: We all have different tastes I guess. :smile:

travellingpat

Reaction score
Im probably gonna have to go with the Juliet Prowse episode, I dont know , I just never liked it.......hmmm, idk maybe its just my personal opinion.......

dabauckham

Reaction score
I should probably rewatch it, but I wasn't a big fan of the Marty Feldman episode (518). Somehow, it just didn't work that well comedically for me, and I wasn't a big fan of the Muppet take on Arabian Nights...

But I haven't seen it in a while, I should probably give it another shot...

I do love Feldman in "Young Frankenstein"!

-David

RKUNKLER

Reaction score
I think all of the episodes are great. I love the Steve Martin episode too. The only reason steve Martin was not used that much was because Kermit was auditioning acts that episode and needed to get every audition in. It wouldn't make sense for Steve to perform more.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I think all of the episodes are great. I love the Steve Martin episode too. The only reason steve Martin was not used that much was because Kermit was auditioning acts that episode and needed to get every audition in. It wouldn't make sense for Steve to perform more.
Yeah, Steve's act in the late 70s (arrow in the head, "happy feet," wacky antics, etc.) would have been perfect on TMS had he been given more of an opportunity to utilize it. But at least he got to show off his banjo prowess, his juggling and his balloon animals.

I liked Steve's episode, but for someone with his talent, the show should have utilized more of his stand-up.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I should probably rewatch it, but I wasn't a big fan of the Marty Feldman episode (518). Somehow, it just didn't work that well comedically for me, and I wasn't a big fan of the Muppet take on Arabian Nights...

But I haven't seen it in a while, I should probably give it another shot...

I do love Feldman in "Young Frankenstein"!

-David
Agreed. Feldman was a great talent, and while his episode was entertaining, I don't think his full abilities were used. Like Steve Martin and Dudley Moore, he never really got a chance to showcase what made him a popular TV and film writer/star. Although I did like the bit with him swigging from a bottle of ketchup!

Young Frankenstein is probably Marty's finest film, but he was also great in Mel's next picture, Silent Movie. He proved to be a brilliant physical comedian, without relying on one-liners or puns (it was a silent movie, after all!) Mel, Marty and Dom DeLuise (another TMS guest) made a classic comedy team.

dabauckham

Reaction score
Although I did like the bit with him swigging from a bottle of ketchup!
HAHA i forgot about that! :zany:

Young Frankenstein is probably Marty's finest film, but he was also great in Mel's next picture, Silent Movie. He proved to be a brilliant physical comedian, without relying on one-liners or puns (it was a silent movie, after all!) Mel, Marty and Dom DeLuise (another TMS guest) made a classic comedy team.
Wow, now I'll have to check out Silent Movie. Most things that Mel Brooks touch are gold, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed. :big_grin:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Wow, now I'll have to check out Silent Movie. Most things that Mel Brooks touch are gold, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed. :big_grin:
You've never seen Silent Movie? Get thee to a video store!

It's a 1976 comedy full of great sight gags and slapstick. Mel plays a washed-up film director trying to make a comeback, and Marty and Dom play his two accomplices. The director has a plan: make a contemporary silent movie, and fill it with as many superstars as possible. The film has an impressive list of stars playing themselves: Burt Reynolds, Bernadette Peters, Liza Minnelli, James Caan, Anne Bancroft and Paul Newman. All of them prove adept at silent comedy, especially (and surprisingly) James Caan. Marcel Marceau also makes an appearance in a bit that I won't spoil for you here. The supporting cast has veterans like Harold Gould, Ron Carey, Liam Dunn, Harry Ritz (of the Ritz Brothers) and Charlie Callas. Mel's old boss, Sid Caesar appears as the mogul of the studio who thinks Mel is crazy to attempt a silent movie in this day and age, especially (as a title card tells us) "slapstick is dead"--before he himself executes an over-the-top slapstick gag inadvertently.

Incidentally, watch the actors' lips. Mel even pokes fun of this technique, where silent actors would say one thing, and the title card would say something else. For example, early in the film, Marty is trying to hit on a pretty nurse while Mel and Dom look on in exasperation. The nurse hits Marty (literally), and he staggers away in a daze. Mel gives him a look of contempt, and he is clearly saying to Marty, "you son of a b--". The title card that immediately follows reads "you bad boy."

It's a very funny film, and definitely worth seeing if you're a Mel Brooks fan.

dabauckham

Reaction score
WOW! It sounds great. I'll move it to the top of my Netflix queue. Thanks for the info. :smile: