Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Whoa WWFPooh I must say, you're taking things a little too hard. Don't be so uptight, I mean no one saying you have to like the Robot chicken skits, but you really don't need to get so offend. I mean let's say Jim Henson was still alive I don't think he would be so upset, if he saw that skit. Actually I own the Robot Chicken season one set and Seth Green said so himself in the commentry that the Electric Mayhem skit was one of the ones he had the most passion for, cause he himself grew up a huge Muppet Show fan and he was very honored to meet Frank Oz.

But the truth commercial makes it seem like the Muppets for working for the smoking companies or whatever and trying to get kids to smoke, which is just an outright lie. I very much doubt the people behind that commerical were fans themselves.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I just assume--and I hate assuming, considering that it means something bad, if the assumption is incorrect--that I am out-voted here and to that, I say that in order to keep things at a peaceful level, we ought to agree to disagree in this instance.

Reaction score
You should you see some of the pre-Muppet show skits. Jim Henson wasn't always wholesome and sweet. He had a dark humour streak, himself. Remember, this is the man who had a dwarf ******* in a lake.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I just assume--and I hate assuming, considering that it means something bad, if the assumption is incorrect--that I am out-voted here and to that, I say that in order to keep things at a peaceful level, we ought to agree to disagree in this instance.
Well I can agree with you on that wwfpooh, to each their own, we all think different. But something I feel you might want to think about a bit, and I don't mean this in a bad way, but as much as you as well as all of us, which is the whole reason we all join this forum, love the characters Jim Henson has created you really shouldn't take them so series. I mean it's not like it's a region or nothing. Know what I mean?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I mean it's not like it's a religion or nothing. Know what I mean?
True that. However, as I fan, all I really want is for characters to not be tarnished by possible backlash. I mean, Jim himself wanted his creations to be memorable for what they were created to do--teach (SS), entertain (TMS), and bring different peoples together (FR), respectively & to be beloved icons in the world--not be remembered for the dark humor presented in the adult materials aforementioned in previous posts.

Reaction score
A few comedy spoofs and parodies will never, ever change what The Muppets are remembered for. As I said before there are some very old and very dark and low brow jokes about Superman and Mickey mouse but that's not what we think of when we remember them.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
True that. However, as I fan, all I really want is for characters to not be tarnished by possible backlash. I mean, Jim himself wanted his creations to be memorable for what they were created to do--teach (SS), entertain (TMS), and bring different peoples together (FR), respectively & to be beloved icons in the world--not be remembered for the dark humor presented in the adult materials aforementioned in previous posts.
Again we're all fans here, and I see what you're saying. But don't you see that by people taking the time to make fun of the Muppets that they are memorable and always will be, they are beloved icons of the world, which is way they are being made fun of. They are still great characters they do all that teach, entertain and all that, but all the people that make these shows themselves are fans, otherwise they won't take the time to make fun of them, see what I'm saying. They aren't trying to turn fans away, they are just poking a little fun at something they themselves love and have grown up with as well. They won't take the time to make fun of characters that aren't memorable, again see what I'm saying

wwfpooh

Reaction score
A few comedy spoofs and parodies will never, ever change what The Muppets are remembered for. As I said before there are some very old and very dark and low brow jokes about Superman and Mickey mouse but that's not what we think of when we remember them.
I'm not just talking about us. I am talking about the generations after us. I mean, sure, we think fondly of The Muppets and whomever else, because we grew up on them, but what will future generations think of them if Disney continues to hardly use The Muppets for anything--sans a cameo or two--or if Sesame Workshop continues to phase out classic characters for Elmo's constant glory-hogging? I mean, some of us hardly remember Mickey's rowdier days and now, we're stuck with Mickey being trapped like a rat in a Dora-esque framwork. :frown:

Reaction score
I agree with Jjand. And Pooh, you really are over reacting. The Mickey Mouse and Superman dirty jokes date back decades but no one immidiately thinks of those when they think of the characters.

Mocking what you love will not take away from it's memory. Can you honestly name any spoof or parody that has REALLY ruined the memory of something and not just something imagined by your fierce over protectiveness.

This was a serious thread about someone LYING about what Jim Henson said and you're distracting from that because of your ironic fear of a spoof and parody.

Go watch some of Jim Henson's early non-Muppet show stuff. It was just as dark as Robot Chicken.