1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Vic Romano, May 8, 2007.

1. wwfpooh New Member

I do too. And in one, Mickey is & in another, ! Oh, and this one is sure to be controversial nowadays with &feature=related! But the point is people are missing the point why they blame fictional characters for the problems of real life people in society!
  2. Ilikemuppets New Member

Now that's the truth, heh! But what are they saying, they they can convince people not to smoke by acting like jerks and getting on peoples nerves and driving them crazy? Because the get more jerk-ish and are mo so than they've eve been.:p
  3. wwfpooh New Member

4. JJandJanice Active Member

5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I have a theory. people just love to be disturbed and bothered. be it by something god awful, or just akward.

If you think about it, these Truth commercials are the same as any one of the ultra-desturbing advertisements on Television as of late. That guy that keeps calling that girl he just met with various akward messages, the Burger King commercial where some guy slams his car (Vehicular Homicide not mean anything to you?) into another car at a drive through, stuff like that.

It's pretty creepy the stuff out there right now. I have to say, The "Fair Enough" comedy commercials were done well, and pretty fun to watch (for PSA's)... but anything that's overly "look! I'm an Artist!" and burying it's message under noise pretty much sets themselves up to ridicule and hurting the cause.

Remember what Kermit said in MTM... why not make a commercial that says what the product does? The old commercials using various smokers that lost their health was more effective than crap like this. They were human. These people made huge mistakes in their lives. They are more credible than making up assumptions like this.
  6. Ilikemuppets New Member

Right! There just trying to put fear into people just like the 11 o'clock news...:p

Oh yeah! Now, these people are street preformers, right. And this is just a gig for me. So didn't anyboby see the pictures or footage of some of these people after doing one of their anti drug PSA's where on break or after they were packing up after the shoot. These people who were forcing down other peoples thought not to smoke were on a smoke break, lol!:batty:
  7. wwfpooh New Member

Seriously, it seems some of these people have their heads moreso than the classic Irving-written Hessian from Tarry Town, New York.
  8. unclematt Active Member

Yeah but I am a smoker but I would do a comercial telling people not to smoke. I dont like that I smoke but quitting is not that easy.
  9. wwfpooh New Member

The truth is that people smoke and though it a good idea to inform people of the dangers of smoking, it's not always a good idea to restrict people's choices.
  10. unclematt Active Member

I kind of wish they would make it illegal cause then I would quit
  11. wwfpooh New Member

But then others would find illegal ways to get it; just like drugs.
  12. unclematt Active Member

Yeah but I am looking out for myself
  13. Vic Romano Active Member

I believe that marijuana will be legalized in the next ten years, so I personally wouldn't hold your breath on the il-legalization of tobacco.
  14. heralde Well-Known Member

I don't want to infringe on people's rights, but something has to be done. I am sick of walking down the street and having smoke blown in my face, and then seeing so many people casually throw a cigarette on the ground. I'm also sick of losing relatives because of years of smoking. I'm also sick of seeing people smoke around their own kids and pets. Whether you believe second hand smoke is bad or not (and it is), being near cigarette smoke is never fun for the people and animals around you. I've seen dogs freak out just by being near cigarette smoke (animals can often tell when things are clearly bad for them, unlike people, hehe). Do you really want a chance just for momentary pleasure? These addictions don't just affect one person, they affect everyone.

Plus the idea of people's rights and the concept of addiction don't really go together. ;)
  15. Fozzie Bear Moderator

I had a friend who was a considerate smoker. She'd blow her smoke into the air and away from people, and hold her cig's higher up so the smoke wouldn't go in people's faces, and while she would put the cigarette out on the ground, she'd throw the butts into the trash.

Still, you know what she does today?
    Nothing, she's dead.
    Okay, so the last two lines aren't true and I totally stole them from Jim Flaherty from "Freaks and Geeks."

But, the first part is basically how I wish all smokers were. More considerate of those of us who prefer to be natural and not smoke.
  16. heralde Well-Known Member

Well that is good, Fozzie Bear. :) Though the problem with smoke is even if you try to avoid people, it can reach them anyway. Plus blowing smoke into the air isn't good for the planet. Plus I don't like watching anyone hurt themselves, even if it's their own choice (though hopefully no one likes to see that ;) ). I don't mean to pick on smokers. It's just all very frustrating.
  17. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Cough, cough.

What do you mean "frustrating?"

Cough.

:zany:
  18. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I've said it before, I could care less if people hurt themselves if it's their choice. What bugs me is when people hurt themselves and others in the process. It's beyond selfish.

I hate how smoke smells, I hate how it makes me nauseous when I'm waiting for the bus. And I just don't understand the appeal. Over eating I can see. Over consumption of alchohol I can see. Smoking? No. It's expensive, filthy, smelly, and the most impossible habit to break.

The best way to quit is not to start at all. But no matter how many times you tell people that, how many of them will listen? And pulling crap like this, linking it to Jim Henson, who'd have been appalled to even think of any of this is just irresponsible.

You can't just make up facts and preach against them.

We've had tell the evils of smoking,
  19. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well I have been working at Wal- Mart know for about four weeks, and I have been selling cigerets to people a few time in the four weeks I have been there. I don't smoke or drink (Beer ECT) I made a promase to God when i was young never to do so. So when they asked me if I was confetable selling Cigerets I had to really do some soul searching. I think that becuase I personaly belive that Cigerets and beer are bad it makes me a better sales person. Because I am always asking everyone no matter what there age is for some form of ID. This proves to Wal-Mart and there customers that I'm not going to let anyone get by me. I just thought I would share that. I personaly blame the people who sell the cigertes to these young kids. I know there are some out there, and I also know that there are people out there buying kids cigerates. That I can't sometimes contorl because I don't know where the customers go when they leave my store.
  20. heralde Well-Known Member

Well as a matter of fact, many people have managed to quit or not start at all over the years. So it's not completely hopeless. :)

Idk, I'm not saying they were right about the Muppet Movie reference, it was uninformed. But I don't think it's a big deal either. No one remembers these things.