Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 38

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I was gone yesterday, internet troubles.

Here's the rundown for today's episode.
Episode 4145: Fairy Tale Emergencies.
Cold Opening: Word on the Street: Murray Monster asks about "prepared".
Street Story: Scene 1: Prarie Dawn reports on the story of the Three Little Pigs.
Animation: Musical Claymation.
Celebrity: Word on the Street Explanation: "Prepared".
Song: "Danger, Danger".
Scene 2: Humpty Dumpty's Safety Helmet.
Song: "It's All Right To Cry".
Letter of the Day: S, Cookie Monster and Super Grover show off their super plan.
Animation: S in the Jungle.
Animation/Film: S, saxophone.
Scene 3: Sleeping Beauty.
Song: "Big, Bigger, Biggest".
Song: "Wake Up" with Ernie and Bert.
Animation/Film: What is Energy?
Scene 4: Baby Bear prepares against bowl invasion.
Song: "Tasty Foods".
Healthy Storybook Moment: Hansel and Gretel.
Song: "I Eat The Colors Of The Rainbow".
Scene 5: Report Wrap-Up.
Song: "Get Out, Stay Out, Don't You Go Back In".
Muppet-Kid Moment: Michael and Murray Monster talk about "emergency".
Animation Song: "I'm Gonna Get To You" by Cecille.
Film: Kids talk about growing up to become firefighters.
Song: "Talkin' About The Number 1".
Film: Wegmen's Waymeranians build a 1 totem.
Animation Song: "How Many Birds sit on the Wire?" by Number Guy.
Song: "I'm Holding Your Hand".
Claymation: Cavemen try to cross a busy street.
Survivor: Musical Chairs.
Animation: Traction Jackson: Song: "I've Got A Chair".
Bedtime Story: Real People Stories: Abby with Gina and Marco.

Yes, another episode with no Elmo's World, unbelievable but true.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mother of Frog.... another episode without Elmo's World?

Or as you'd put it, Count...
That's 2! 2 Episodes without Elmo's World! AH AH AAAAAHHH! (Thunder and Lightning).

It starts in 2 seconds, actually....

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
My work schedule got changed around so I did see some of today's show. I missed a few parts because my brother was in at the time. Anyway, here are my comments...

Yes, another episode with no Elmo's World, unbelievable but true.
And a multiple-part story too. I guess that's the pattern. When stories are in multiple parts they don't show Elmo's World so they have more time for the street story. I'm just guessing on that one, but it seems like a good idea.

In fact, did Elmo show up anywhere aside from the opening & closing credits? I didn't see him and the Count (the poster here, not the Muppet) didn't mention him on his post either. If that's the case that would be the first Elmo-less episode since probably the 80s. Unless he did show up in a part I didn't see.

This ep did tend to have the feel of old-school Sesame Street. Prarie Dawn reporting on all those stories reminded me of how Kermit used to do that in the old days. In fact, it seems like they even used the same Humpty Dumpty from Kermit's news story. (I think I know why it's believed that Humpty was an egg, but I won't post that here because I'd get too far off the original subject. One complaint I have is that they keep getting a new Big Bad Wolf every season. I wish they'd stay more consistent with that. I liked the last part of the fairy tale story. Not the wrap-up. I didn't see that part, but I'm talking about the last part with Telly, Baby Bear, Goldilocks, etc. since that incorporated quite a few characters we know. If only they would have gotten Big Bird in that part somewhere. The ending was nice too. I didn't see too many eps where Abby announced the sponsors, but I liked her interaction with Baby Marco in today's episode. I don't think I'd have a problem with Abby if they'd keep her appearances light and not go overboard with her like they do with Elmo. Hopefully, I'll see more eps this season before I go back to working in the morning.

Oh, another comment. I liked the Cookie Monster/Grover letter S thing. I realize that was from season 33, but I haven't seen it before. Though there was I thought I had. If they're just going to get rid of the Letter of the Day Cookie anyway, what does it matter if Cookie Monster eats it? Food for thought. Pardon the pun.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A nice little way to teach kids about emergencies, especially fires.

Being a fan of Sesame Street News Flashes and Fractured Fairy Tales, I always love these goofy FT send ups. I especially loved the Humpty Dumpty bit.

And we got another new Big Bad Wolf puppet. Shame. i really like that expressive purple one they used the past several years.

Here's the question... do you think the reason why there are no Elmo segments in these 2 themed episodes is that they're going to be released on DVD? I mean, one about literacy, and one about emergency prepare... they seems like perfect releases.

Anyway, favorite bits? I loved the baby Bear segment where he made the infromative film. And the in-joke about Rock Paper Scissors, how they can only get paper... that's got a biting self awareness to it.

And hey, did Eric Jacobson voice the "brick" pig? Sounds like he was doing a modified male version of Piggy.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually... Elmo did appear, in the background along with other monsters in the song about the number 1.
Hope this helps.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually think it's funny we're seeing less Elmo this season than usual. He's been in every episode still, but considering that (other than the background) Elmo was only in the reused "Survivor Musical Chairs" bit this episode, and only featured a little in the other Elmo's World less episode it's just odd and sudden.

that said, I do like Elmo and all, just he's on so much he's more of a mascot than a character....Kinda like what Disney did with Pooh bear....

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Wow! Elmo's back to being in the background just like in the old days. I'd like to see that more often, but I'm guessing he'll probably get quite a bit more airtime this season.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Elmo appeard in Survivor musical chairs. I love how when Praire wanted to make Telly eat the say milk and raisins he seemed disgusted by it despite Pririe telling him that he had to because it waws healthy for him. He just seemed so reluctant to do it, LOL! Glad to finally see miles today in when he was singing about number one being his favorite number (Even though I thought he sang about it being tow?). Nice seeing Gordon at the end. I know he's been on the show, but it's just nice to see him, Heh! I have to Agree about the end, though. I loved Abby and Marco's interaction! It reminded me a bit of the way the show used to end in the old days with randon things happing with Erine or bert ot Gordon and the kids or something like that. It just had a sort of natural, unscripted feeling to it.

CookieCountDawn

Reaction score
Today's episode was great, in my opinion. I loved seeing so much Prairie Dawn and I was surprised that there was no Elmo's World! I hope there will be at least one or two more episodes this season without a Elmo's World segment. :smile:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Finally got back into routine

My daughter went back to school today which means that SS is back on, meaning that I may finallly get to see some of season 38's eps, provided that channel 13 shows them. Today's ep was a reun of the "American Fruitstand" ep from last season.