Your Thoughts: Dark Crystal and Labyrinth Anniversary DVD's

Laszlo

Reaction score
There will always be new releases, better audio, better video, but in the end, unless Jim himself rises from the grave, I think we have seen and heard all we can from this great film.
Maybe. But there still exist TONS of behind the scenes and set photos, props lying somewhere etc.
They should do High quality photo books with those.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
hey, that would be great. I'd pick it up for sure. but not another TDC dvd, until a lot more is offered. and what that might be. . . I have no clue.

Chocobear

Reaction score
Chocobear Adds Her Two Cents

I love "The Dark Crystal," but I'm with cabbageheat. I feel the second disc is a bit mediocre. I was hoping to hear the cast's thoughts on the characters they played. (I'm including the voice over actors as well.) That would have been really neat. I would have loved to hear their stories.

I also believe they should have given Trevor Jones the chance to talk about what inspired him to write the music for "Crystal."

As far as "Labyrinth" is concerned ... I don't have the DVD.

Yet. :big_grin:

SKANZO

Reaction score
What actually disappointed me most about The Dark Crystal new dvd release, was how CLEAN it look. Even the older dvds had dust and dirt on the transfer and I think that added to the film, made it seem more dark and real. This new transfer is SO cleaned up, that it looks too fake now, if that is actually possible considering they are muppets :wink: I think the old prints added to the atmosphere of the film, old dirty and dark...

Wiseman

Reaction score
I just received the Dark Crystal DVD anniversary edition. It was interesting, but I wondered with all the talk I've heard here about a sequel to DC called Power of the Dark crystal and a sequel to Labyrinth where are the previews. I mean the colorized versions of the old B-movies of Harryhausen are interesting but they're just not what I was looking for. Then again according to the muppet wiki this stuff isn't coming out until 2010, so maybe they don't have any previews yet.

I did, however like the new interviews and the digitalized version of the film, but when I tried to run it on my DVD player with Brian Froud's commentary on, it didn't work, I clicked commentary on, but there was no commentary on the film, and I would have liked to hear that. Especially since I own one of the few copies of Brian Froud's book "The World Of The Dark Crystal" I would have liked to have heard what he had to say. After all He was the Creator of Thra, the triangular planet on which this whole thing happened.

I still haven't picked up Labyrinth's special edition but I will soon, now that I have a Backstage Pass with F.Y.E.

JMPrater

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with the general consensus of this anniversary edition being quite lower then sub-par. This release is keeping in line with Henson offerings being quite mediocre of late, which includes how news of the new DC sequel is being specifically side stepped.

If they're going to re-release TDC again it should include the following

1. Every bit of behind the scenes footage possible
2. Creature Shop production of the many races of TDC
3. The World of the Dark Crystal behind the scenes film
4. Interviews with the puppet makers, the puppeteers
5. Interview & commentary by Frank Oz [how could you re-release this film and not include Frank Oz as a featured interviewee?]
6. Wendy Froud commentary
7. Brian Froud Commentary
8. Brian Henson Commentary
9. A 'Play All' function
10. Featurettes that showcase each stage of development
11. Interviews with the writers of the film
12. Interviews with the voice-over artists
13. The Marketing of The Dark Crystal
14. Interview longterm fans of The Dark Crystal and todays directors influenced by the original film [including our own Genndy Tartovsky]
15. Talk about The Power of the Dark Crystal
16. Behind the scenes of The Power of the Dark Crystal, what's happening in production, a quick look into what we'll be seeing come 2009.

With the dawning of Blade Runner the Final Cut and it's 3 hour documentary and 4 different versions of the film, the bar has been set, and so far, Henson continues to fall far from the bar into their comfortable zone of mediocrity.

I expected more from an anniversary release. WAY more.

J.M. Prater

SKANZO

Reaction score
Sounds excellent, same goes for Labyrinth. There should be more Lucas interviews and Jennifer Connelly commentary and interviews with David Bowie and Trevor Jones in depth on the music.

Also, there are 5 versions of the Blade Runner film :wink: Theatrical, International, Director, Final and Workprint, all included on the deluxe boxed set that I just purchased....

Laszlo

Reaction score
1. Every bit of behind the scenes footage possible
2. Creature Shop production of the many races of TDC
3. The World of the Dark Crystal behind the scenes film
4. Interviews with the puppet makers, the puppeteers
5. Interview & commentary by Frank Oz [how could you re-release this film and not include Frank Oz as a featured interviewee?]
6. Wendy Froud commentary
7. Brian Froud Commentary
8. Brian Henson Commentary
9. A 'Play All' function
10. Featurettes that showcase each stage of development
11. Interviews with the writers of the film
12. Interviews with the voice-over artists
13. The Marketing of The Dark Crystal
14. Interview longterm fans of The Dark Crystal and todays directors influenced by the original film [including our own Genndy Tartovsky]
15. Talk about The Power of the Dark Crystal
16. Behind the scenes of The Power of the Dark Crystal, what's happening in production, a quick look into what we'll be seeing come 2009.

With the dawning of Blade Runner the Final Cut and it's 3 hour documentary and 4 different versions of the film, the bar has been set, and so far, Henson continues to fall far from the bar into their comfortable zone of mediocrity.

I expected more from an anniversary release. WAY more.
J.M. Prater
Exactly! But you forgot something VERY important:

THE COMPLETE WORKPRINT !

I have a copy of it, in very bad quality, and it has some wonderfull scenes not included on the DVD's.
In one of them you can see Jen swimming (at the beginning), then he climbs out
and plays his flute (regular scene). BUT THEN A MYSTIC APPEARS FROM BEHIND TELLING HIM ABOUT "someone who has need".
Beautifull !

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
It would be great to have in depth interviews and stuff but sometimes certain people who worked on these movies are reluctant to have anything to do with them now. I know from interviews that Jennifer Connelly doesn't see Labyrinth as a particular highlight of her career and is somewhat embarrassed by it now. Also, Trevor Jones doesn't like to do any kind of interviews or anything concerning his musical scores. I'm sure there are many outtakes from both movies soundtracks that will probably never be heard. It's a real pity.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I bought The Dark Crystal DVD and I have to say, I liked what I got. However, I share cabbageheat's dismay about the isolated music track not being included. That would have been nice.
I liked the delated scenes. Intresting, as I once had a book-and-record set of The Dark Crystal and it contained music not included in the complete film. It turns out the music appears in the funreal scenes that appear as outtakes.
Two other points; I saw this on home video when I was 12 and there were some minor differences. First, the video had gold borders with a black patten at the beginning. Those are not on the DVD I have. Also, the end credits appeared on a black and purple background on the tape, on the one I have, they appear in gold on a still background! Anyone know what was up with that?