Fraggle Rock Fan-Fiction: Perfect Harmony

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Chapter 5

The Fraggles’ rampant mayhem continued as Red made her way to the center of the Great Hall. "Hey!" she shouted, trying to hush the crowd, but to no avail. "Hey, quiet!"

The chatter still continued.

Red grumbled. "I said quiet! Do you hear me?"

The Fraggles still ran around panicking.

"I guess not..." Red mumbled. "Alright, one more time... HEY QU-"

Red was cut off.

"Hey everybody! Quiet down! I’ve got something important news!"

All of the Fraggles silenced and turned attentively to Gobo and Wembley who came running into the Great Hall.

"Oh come on," Red said, rolling her eyes.

"Attention Fraggles!" Gobo said. "I’ve discovered what the big crisis is!"

The Fraggles began to mumble.

"Have you now?"

The Fraggles were silenced as Cantus appeared out of nowhere and made his way next to Gobo.

"Yes sir," Gobo said. "I know that the crisis is that my Uncle Matt is missing in Outer Space!"

Cantus tilted his head. "Perhaps," he said. "Or perhaps not."

"You mean you don’t know?" Gobo asked.

"I don’t know if I don’t know," Cantus said.

"Well..." Gobo said. "Just in case, I’m going to venture out into Outer Space and find my Uncle Matt!"

"Oh no," Red said. "Not this again."

"What’s that supposed to mean?" Gobo asked.

"It’s just that last time your Uncle Matt didn’t send a postcard and you said you were going into Outer Space it was because he had the stomach flu!" Red said.

"But this time it’s different!" Gobo said.

"Oh yeah? How come?"

"Because it’s been a lot longer since I’ve gotten a postcard than last time!"

"Maybe he’s had the stomach flu for a longer time!"

"Here they go again..." Wembley sighed.

"Young Fraggles," Cantus interrupted the two quarreling Fraggles. "Both of you have valid points, but I believe the only way to know for sure is to ask Traveling Matt himself, so perhaps Gobo’s idea of an expedition to Outer Space isn’t a bad one."

"See Red, I told you," Gobo said.

"But perhaps it is not a good idea," Cantus said.

"Ha!" Red scoffed in Gobo’s face.

"I am not sure," Cantus said. "Indecision seems to be contagious around here."

"Tell me about it," Wembley said.

"So it’s settled," Gobo said. "I’m going into Outer Space!"

"But Gobo!" Wembley said. "You can’t go alone! You could be squashed, or fried, or boiled, or– "

"You’re right, Wembley," Gobo said. "Thanks for volunteering to come with me."

"–or hammered, or inflated, or–What?" Wembley asked.

"We’ll leave first thing in the morning!" Gobo said.

The Fraggles cheered for Gobo and the shaky Wembley. Red rolled her eyes and walked back to where Mokey and Boober were standing.

"That Gobo Fraggle really drives me nuts," Red said. "He’s always stealing my thunder!"

"Oh, don’t worry about it Red," Mokey said. "I’m sure once Gobo find his Uncle Matt everything will be back to normal."

"Yes," Boober said. "Unstructured, zany, and musical... ick, I hate normality here."

"Normal..." Red gasped as she came up with a brilliant plan. "I have a brilliant plan!" she shouted.

As Red ran off towards her cave Mokey and Boober looked at each other and shrugged.

Cotterpin and Wrench were perched on the edge of a small cavern looking down at the Fraggles. "That’s it?" Cotterpin asked. "That’s the big crisis that could cause the end of the Rock?"

"That doesn’t seem like a very big crisis at all, Cotterpin," Wrench said.

"But– but I was sure that... Oh Doozer dust," Cotterpin muttered. "C’mon Wrench, we should get back to work."

Wrench shrugged. "Alright Cotterpin, if you say so."

>< >< >< >< ><

The apartment door opened and Doc came walking in on a sleeping Sprocket, who didn’t budge.

"Sorry I’m so late, Sprockey, but when a game of dominos gets good, you can’t just leave in the middle of it," Doc said absent-mindedly as he hung his hat and coat on the hat rack. "Oh, he’s asleep," Doc said. "I’ll have to wake him in the morning and remind him of our breakfast plans with Ned and Fluffenella."

Doc walked over and rubbed Sprocket’s head on his way to his bedroom. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed a few pieces of crumpled up paper on the ground around his wastebasket. "Well, looks like Gobo was here while I was out," Doc said. "Poor little fella, still no postcard from his uncle."

Doc hoisted himself back up. "Hope Gobo doesn’t do anything drastic," Doc said to himself. "The mail’s probably just slow this week."

Doc yawned, and made his way to his bedroom for the night.

>< >< >< >< ><

The street lamps flickered on as the bumbling Fraggle explorer walked down the sidewalk. "Ooh, the sun lanterns have come on again for the evening. Must be time to rest for the evening," Uncle Traveling Matt Fraggle said, turning into an alley.

He skimmed the alley and spotted a large cardboard box. "Ah ha!" Matt declared, darting towards the box. "What incredible shelter," he said. "These sill creatures sure know how to live the good life."

Matt set his backpack on the ground and took off his hat. "Oh I do hope my nephew Gobo will be surprised," Matt said.

Matt pulled the box over his head. "Unh! The sun lanterns have gone out!"

Traveling Matt wrestled around inside the box. "Now I have been locked inside my shelter! Ugh! This is not a good day for exploring!"

Matt grumbled some more and fell over. "I knew I should’ve just gone back through the T. Matt Fraggle Room! Surprise value isn’t worth all this!"

The Fraggle tried punching at the sides of the box. "After all–urngh!– just coming back through the old workshop isn’t that surprising!"

Uncle Traveling Matt finally gave up at escaping from the box. "Well, at least it can’t get any worse!" he grumbled.

Thunder clapped in the clouds above and rain started to fall.

"...At least I have shelter!" Matt said.

Just as Matt said that, a gust of wind blew past, taking the box with it. Matt frowned as he was splattered with rain. "Nope, surprise value is definitely not worth all of this..."

>< >< >< >< ><

Pa Gorg snored as it grew darker in the land of the Gorgs. Junior tried to hold his eyes open while he was on sentry duty. Trying to figure out what a sentry was wasn’t a good way to try and stay awake.

"I am so bored!" Junior said. He peered out around the side of Kissing Rock looking towards the castle. "But it looks like Ma fell asleep too. Maybe if I tip-toe weal quiet like... I can go lay in my own bed and then be back out here before Pa wakes back up!" Junior whispered as he sneaked around the corner of the Rock.

Junior began to tip-toe towards the castle. "Nearly there..." he whispered.
He glanced over towards the plot of radishes. "Shh, quiet Gewaldine, I’m twying to be sneaky!" he said to the biggest radish. "...What do you mean watch out for the wheelbar–"

Junior walked right into a wheelbarrow and fell flat on his face making enough noise to wake Ma.

"No sir! No sir!" Ma shouted running through the castle. "Pa, you are not coming in tonight!" Ma shouted, throwing whatever was left inside outside.
"Ma! It’s just me!" Junior wailed as he covered his head with his hands.

"Nice try Pa, but I’d know that horrible impression of Junior you do anywhere!" Ma said.

"But Ma–"

"No buts Pa!"

"How do I keep getting in to d’ese messes?" Junior asked himself.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Great chapter Prawnie! It's good to see you, I was beginning to worry! :smile: Anyway, it's time for me to go home otherwise I'd comment more, but just know that I am LOVING this story and as usual, I can't wait to read more!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ditto what they said. Loved the storm and Doc coming back from dominoes and the T. Matt Fraggle Room and Cotterpin...
Please post more!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Yeah, what she said!
:smirk:
I just love all of this so much, and am just so gosh darn
:excited: at the prospect of another FR story to read, much moreso one from vous! You said we will see interaction between Gobo and Junior; will we see interaction between Doc and the fraggles as well?

Once again, more please!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hmm... I haven't really thought about Doc/Fraggle interaction. I'm pretty sure it'll happen... but probably not till the end. It'll probably end up being a series of running gags where he just misses them. Like Snuffy and the adults on Sesame in the 80s.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Chapter 6

Gobo couldn’t sleep.

Not even Boober’s warm radish milk helped.

It helped Wembley, sure, but everyone in the Rock knew that.

That’s how loud the nasally snoring coming from Wembley’s bunk was.

Gobo rolled over onto his back and stared up at the rock above him.

Where was Uncle Matt? Why hadn’t he sent any postcards? Was Outer Space really as scary as Uncle Matt had described it? Would Gobo ever get to sleep?

Questions wasn’t what Gobo needed right now, what he needed was a song.
But Wembley was asleep. He couldn’t sing, he’d wake him up.

And no one wanted an irritable, sleep-deprived Wembley on an expedition to Outer Space.

"Well," Gobo whispered to himself. "I could sing it quietly..."

Gobo racked his mind for an appropriate song to sing.

"Wake up in the morning’

Get yourself to–
no, that’s not it," Gobo said.

Gobo groaned and restarted the inner workings of his mind.

"Hmm, well, there is that old moon lullaby..." Gobo pondered. "But that requires some harmony."

Gobo muttered to himself and hopped out of his bed. "I need a walk." He grabbed up the guitar off the rock ledge and walked out of his room.

He quietly strummed a few chords on his guitar awakening a few sleeping Ditzies, bringing light into the darkened tunnel. "Oh, sorry," Gobo apologized as he moved down the cavern.

"Do not apologize," a voice in the cavern told the young Fraggle.

"Huh?" Gobo stopped, looking around the cavern. "Who was that?"

Cantus slowly emerged from the shadows holding his pipe. "Do not fear, young Fraggle, it is me. But not only me, mind you, for there are ears all around."

"Only a few Ditzies," Gobo said.

"A few Ditzies could light your bedroom there," Cantus said. "Do not judge a creature simply by its size, but instead at the way they live up to a far greater size than they display."

"Yeah, I know," Gobo said.

"Mm," Cantus said. "I sense doubt in your voice, Gobo Fraggle."

Gobo shrugged. "I just don’t see how I– I mean, a little Ditzy could mean all that much."

"Sounds like you really could use a song," Cantus said. "May I?"

"Oh of course. How could I tell Cantus that he can’t sing?" Gobo asked.

"That’s just it, Gobo," Cantus said. He put the magic pipe to his lips and began to play.

"You can do whatever you set your mind to," Cantus sang.
"No one can tell you how to live your life
No one can tell you what to do
Only you can solve your inner strife.

"Don’t you see
It’s you, not me
Who lives the life you live
And knows how much you give.

"It’s up to you
Who you are,
What you show,
When you grow,

"Where you flow,
Why you go,
And how you know,
It’s up to you."

Gobo sighed. "Do you really think I can make a difference."

"Of course you can," Cantus said. "Some might think you already have."

"You, yes you,
Is who, yes who,
Decides what you can be
It’s only you, don’t you see?

"Not me, not he, not she
It’s you who gets to be
Whatever it is you get to be
It’s you who can be set free.
"

"I... I think I get it!" Gobo said. "If I believe I can, I can save the Rock."

"Exactly!" Cantus said. "Now, sing!"

"I can do whatever I set my mind to," Gobo sang.
"No one can tell me how to live my life
No one can tell me what to do
Only I can solve my inner strife.

"Now I see
It’s me, yes me
Who lives this life I live
And knows how much I give

"It’s up to me
Who I am,
What I show,
When I grow,

"Where I flow,
Why I go,
And how I know.
It’s up to me!"

"Exactly!" Cantus said. "Together!"

"You, yes you," the two Fraggles harmonized.
Is who, yes who,
Decides what you can be
It’s only you, don’t you see?

"Not me, not he, not she
It’s you who gets to be
Whatever it is you get to be
It’s you who can be set free.
"

"That is exactly what I needed," Gobo said.

"There is never a time that music is not needed," Cantus said.

Gobo nodded. "I’ll remember that."

"Good," Cantus said sternly. "You’ll need to. Remember that music makes us real."

Gobo yawned. "Yeah, well, I think I’m too tired to sing another song right now, Cantus."

Gobo began to walk back to his room. Cantus sighed. "We’ll all be tired without music... just don’t forget that on your journey... please."

<~><~><~><~><~>

Marjorie couldn’t sleep.

Not even some of Gunge’s warm greaseberry tea helped.

It helped Philo and Gunge, sure, but probably even the Gorgs knew that.

That’s how loud the double snoring of the two pajama-clad rats was.

Marjorie fiddled with her needle-point, but ended up staring off into space.

Why couldn’t she sleep? Would the Fraggles be alright? What about the Doozers? Was there anymore of that greaseberry tea left?

Questions wasn’t what Marjorie needed right now. Advice, that’s what she needed. She needed to give advice.

But there was no one to give advice to.

Marjorie looked at the needle-point in her hands, then looked at Philo and Gunge.

"Well," she said. "No use suffering alone."

She threw the needle-point at the two rats, waking them with a jolt.

"What? What is it?" Philo shouted.

"Ah! Trash day!" Gunge shouted.

"Calm down boys," Marjorie said. "I just needed someone to talk to."

"So you woke us up?" Gunge asked.

"Well who else could I talk to?" Marjorie asked.

"She has a point, Gungy," Philo said.

"Yeah, yeah," Gunge said. "So what’s wrong?"

"Boys, I’m concerned," Marjorie said.

"About what?" Philo asked.

"Everything," Marjorie said. "I fear our entire world may be in limbo."

"Too bad we can’t solve evert’ing with limbo," Gunge said.

"You’re just sayin’ that because you always win," Philo said.

"Exactly," Gunge said.

"Not that kind of limbo," Marjorie scolded.

"We know that," Philo said.

"Yeah, but the other kind is no fun!" Gunge added.

"Boys, boys, boys!" Marjorie said. "I don’t think you understand the weight of this situation!"

"Nope," Philo said.

"Not a bit," Gunge said.

Marjorie groaned. "I was better of trying to sleep. Go back to bed," she said, sinking back into the ground.

"What was that all about?" Gunge asked.

"Got me," Philo said. "Got anymore of the greaseberry tea?"

Java

Reaction score
Oh, my! Even Marjorie is unsettled...

Wonderful chapter Prawnie, looking forward to more.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<LAUGHS!> the Trash Heap and Philo and Gunge are HILARIOUS. And intriguing. And I LOVE the parallelism between how the two scenes start.

Now excuse me...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<GLOMP!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That SONG!

DUDE!

THAT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

WOW! I LOVE that song and it's got an AWESOME message and WOW!

MORE PLEASE!