Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

Craig Crane

Reaction score
working in the CGI VFX industry, I can already see the trend for Fantasy coming to a end. Pans labrynth is now two years old. Golden Compass and the Narnia series will be the last of the genre for a while once the franchise is fully wrapped.

The genre got a much needed boost with LOTR and then you get a few contenders, many pretenders and then the next B.O genre takes over.

Same with Horror, same with Sci fi, same with WWII, Same with Westerns, same with comic and game adaptations... its this very natural motion that actually sustains the industry

I just think JHC may have missed the boat on this. They should have struck whilst the Middleearth iron was still hot

JMPrater

Reaction score
The problem with a show of this magnitude is that, unless they went the fully CGI route, there is no way that they could have produced a film, of quality, with the budget constraints they have to work with, in time enough to be a sizable contender with other films.

In terms of sheer work, I'd say the CGI backgrounds are the easiest things they can accomplish. Aside from that, everyone has to remember that we're talking about a massive undertaking in terms of puppet design, execution, testing, production, and not to mention LENGTHY rehearsals and finally, performance.

These are not just actors we're dealing with, but actors within actors. The puppeteers are the actors behind the foam latex, so that means hours of laborious rehearsals where every step is coordinated so the people running the radio controlled eyes can be in perfect synch with the actor performing the movement of the puppet/s themselves.

The original film didn't take 6 years to produce just because they were lazy. I'm in agreement that the stalling of this film is in the end what's hurting it, and by the time it does release it may be a bit late for a fantasy film to survive, and survive well. BUT, that said, I believe that The Power of the Dark Crystal will debut much the way it's predecessor debuted, a very strange, intensely artistic, captivating, but perhaps out of place film. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd rather the magic of these films continue on quite understated and under appreciated and singular, then get lost in the Eragons & Inkhearts that are quickly produced and released. The original stands as a major work of art, more then just a studio release, but something not yet reproduced in any way, and stands the test of time after repeated viewings.

J.M. Prater

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Actually, had it not been for JHC, I don't think the fantasy film genre would be where it is today. They were already ahead of their time with Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, so I don't feel they've missed a boat at all, but set it sailing!

SkeksisGirl

Reaction score
Why does everyone attack Mirrormask? Mirrormask had a very small theaterical release (as in it only went to independant movie theaters, about one per state) and it's storyline and writing were amazing! I personally didn't get to see it in theaters and thought it was going to be a gamble to purchase it as soon as it came out on DVD, since I hadn't seen it and it got such mixed reviews by so many people on this board, but DANG was it a good gamble to take. It is visually stunning, regardless of what medium was used.
I personally didn't like Mirrormask. I felt that the story was incomprehensible, the production value was very bad, the CGI was awful and the acting was painful to watch.

I also feel that Neil Gaiman is not this great storyteller that people make him out to be. And this is from just watching three of his films, one which I actually enjoyed. I was excited to rent Mirrormask when it came out and was sorely disappointed.

CGI is the future, people. Accept it.
Yeah, and we saw how well that worked for George Lucas in his 99% CGI everything for Star Wars. CGI is NOT the future, it is a tool, if it was just the future then there wouldn't be movies like Hellboy, Iron Man, Aliens vs Predator, Indiana Jones, or The Wolf Man coming out. A LOT of directors and movie makers still prefer having tangible things/people to be there for actors to react to.

Look at the difference in performance of the actors who interacted with most of the sets and characters in the Star Wars Prequels and those who acted with Gollum in LotR.

I'm sick and tired of people going "Oh... CGI is the future, let's just get rid of all those practical effects, we can just put something in later." it's bull. I stick to how I feel about CGI, "ONLY when it's absolutely needed". I'm not going to accept something that I don't have to accept.

The original Dark Crystal was a masterpiece without CGI, if they are using CGI in the sequel to enhance things instead of having people react to things that aren't there 99% of the time, I'm fine with CGI. If it's gonna look anything like Mirrormask... I'm gonna puke.

As for DC2 going direct to DVD, I feel very sad for this, because if it doesn't get widely advertised that it is being released to DVD, people won't know to look for it. Now, I think they did a good job advertising Mirrormask's DVD release, so hopefully since DC was such a big deal, they will do a good ad campaign for the sequel's release.
If a lot of people hear that it's a direct to DVD sequel a lot of them are gonna go "screw that". So far, only movies I know that do moderately well on direct to DVD sequels are Disney movies, and they have the advantage of being cartoons.

JMPrater

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Leanne, these images have actually been around for sometime. They're quite interesting and really showcase, more then anything, how'd Genndy & Co. would go about utilizing CGI to render these backgrounds. Sets of this nature would be near impossible. I hope however, when it comes to an intimate forest or the settle of the Crystal Castle, they utilize real sets and take advantage of practical effects as much as possible.

J.M. Prater

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
This thread really isn't worth keeping open since JHC has said it isn't happening.

Still, the debate continues of CGI or actual puppetry.

I think we'll see some CGI effects for sure, but JHC is really trying to do new things with puppets, so I can't see them forsaking one for the other, but using both together.

Considering Jim Henson was there for the creation of W.A.L.D.O. on The Jim Henson Hour and MuppetVision 3D. I don't think Jim would have been against it since he was a forerunner for the craft. I do think he would have used it WITH puppetry.

Francis the Adorable Badger is actually used as CGI real-time puppets, so they are using puppetry to maintain the CGI action, but no actual puppets.

It's all up in the air at this point and you know they're going to do whatever they're going to do regardless what we wish. Let's just hope it's going to be great!

And, I feel, it will be!

Monsoon

Reaction score
If a DVD means a better plot, better effects, and what not, that's fine with me. I'd rather spend my money a decent DVD sequel, than on cheesey movie.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That sentiment makes sense to me.

You all remember, Toy Story 2 was supposed to be direct to DVD but was so good they put it in the theaters.

Either way I feel confident that the movie will be fantastic.

JMPrater

Reaction score
Well, as aforementioned, this film WON'T be headed straight to DVD, at least, not for now.

J.M. Prater