Should there be a Sesame Street Channel?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Viacom or PBS might be interested if the idea is pitched to them. If not, then Sesame Workshop can use their vast Tickle Me Elmo/DVD fortune.
I don't think the fortune is all that vast. Viacom and PBS already partnered with them. Viacom bought them all out, and replaced it with their inferior quality shows (though I do recall seeing Doug was on their for a while- the original Nick one too). And the PBS/Hit partnership only ensured current episodes would be rerun for the younger audience.

SW has a vast library of shows. Ones that would be perfect for kids, ones that would be great for nostalgia. If they had the money to get a network on their own, and they don't (they ain't Ted Turner or Rupert Murdoch you know), they would no doubt have a small cable station or an on demand source of long lost programs.

But whos to say it will be uncut anyway? Same royalty fees apply.

ssetta

Reaction score
But the reason why they did away with Sesame Street Unpaved, The Electric Company, and all those other classic CTW shows was not only because of that. It's also because the people at Noggin, especially the programming director, is one of those people who has that dumb opinion "If something's old, it's no good." This happened when the channel was re-vamped into Noggin & The N. When this happened, they phased out all of the older shows, because both Noggin & The N have a lot of original programming that cannot be found elsewhere. I mean, of course, we on Muppet Central don't care for it, but as the programming director told me YEARS ago, we are in the minority, because there are a LOT of teenagers out there who really like The N.

Drtooth

Reaction score
especially the programming director, is one of those people who has that dumb opinion "If something's old, it's no good." This happened when the channel was re-vamped into Noggin & The N. When this happened, they phased out all of the older shows, because both Noggin & The N have a lot of original programming that cannot be found elsewhere.
Actually, If I can correct you, it's not so much just that, but also "If something's not for tweens, it's no good." Same bullcrap that's killing animation outside of CGI snark movies (pixar is excluded. of course) and DTV fan service superhero films. And I hardly call reruns of 1990's sitcoms like Sabrina and Fresh Prince (I actually like Fresh Prince.... Uncle Phil DID play the Shredder after all) "original programming." Even now being its own network, it's all older standbys (though since they have Kenan and Kel and All That, it's not a total loss).

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
I still say that if Sesame Workshop pitched the idea to Viacom or PBS, it might work out. After all, who would say no to the biggest franchise in children's television?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I still say that if Sesame Workshop pitched the idea to Viacom or PBS, it might work out. After all, who would say no to the biggest franchise in children's television?
Well technically, money wise the biggest franchises are Dora The Explorer and Blues Clues and things like that. Witch would explain why they are the ones getting air play in Noggin right now.

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
How do you know that Dora and Blues Clues are at the top?

Brooklyn

Reaction score
Wow, this is an amazing strand, loved reading through it all. At first, I thought I didn't have anything to add as I feel like you really dived deep into the pros and cons but then decided that I may have a word or two to add --

First, it's true: Blues Clues, Dora, Sponge Bob are some of the biggest shows on tv now, not Sesame Street. As far as who would say no to them, I'm sure plenty of people would and have.

I think a better idea might be a 24 hour Henson channel on digital TV, I feel like digital tv has a billion specialized channels and this could fit nicely. It could feature certain hours for kids entertainment and other hours for older kids and evenings for adults --- like Cartoon Network and Nick does.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
How do you know that Dora and Blues Clues are at the top?
Because they are the ones making all the money and Sesame street has had to go the wrought of both of them just to compete and keep up because more kids started watching them. I wish I had numbers and figures right now but they should be in Forbes somewhere.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow, this is an amazing strand, loved reading through it all. At first, I thought I didn't have anything to add as I feel like you really dived deep into the pros and cons but then decided that I may have a word or two to add --

First, it's true: Blues Clues, Dora, Sponge Bob are some of the biggest shows on tv now, not Sesame Street. As far as who would say no to them, I'm sure plenty of people would and have.

Though, Spongebob is technically NOT a nick Jr. Show, and was meant for a 5-10 year old audience. But those 2 pop kiddy shows that seriously cannot be beneficial at all are always on top. That and those annoying Backyardigans. What the heck is that? A sweater that little kids wear?

And what's the deal with airline food?