Pre-Order Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Not me, I remember, I remember well :wink:. When we are all forty-something I will be there to get a copy *lol* :3
I would be too. But who knows if the thing will even be released at all?

Reaction score
We don't want Fraggle Rock in widescreen!

Putting a show that was full screen to began with into widescreen is a very bad idea :frown:.It just does not do anything good for the show at all...
You're right, Red, and we are seeing a trend of studios and networks doing precisely that.

It just makes my eye twitch and I want to shake someone back to their senses.

Everyone, go to http://widescreen.org/podcasts.shtml and listen to podcast #030. The host John covers this topic based on my e-mail at time index 16:30.

Carrie

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
You're right, Red, and we are seeing a trend of studios and networks doing precisely that.

It just makes my eye twitch and I want to shake someone back to their senses.

Everyone, go to http://widescreen.org/podcasts.shtml and listen to podcast #030. The host John covers this topic based on my e-mail at time index 16:30.

Carrie
HIT isn't releasing Fraggle Rock in widescreen. Most comtemporary series are shot in widescreen, and some are seeing re-issues of their DVDs to accomodate HD and widescreen TVs. Fraggle was not shot in widescreen, and won't appear on DVD in widescreen either.

Here is a pretty good article that details the differences between widescreen and full screen:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/editorials/widescreen.shtml

Redsonga

Reaction score
HIT isn't releasing Fraggle Rock in widescreen. Most comtemporary series are shot in widescreen, and some are seeing re-issues of their DVDs to accomodate HD and widescreen TVs. Fraggle was not shot in widescreen, and won't appear on DVD in widescreen either.

Here is a pretty good article that details the differences between widescreen and full screen:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/editorials/widescreen.shtml
I was about to say I didn't think it was shot in widescreen, being as old as it is (in a good way):smile:

The thing is...Not everybody has HD or widescreen TVs.
Before I knew what full screen did to widescreen shot movies I use to hate the black bars to but when I learned that there was never anything below or above the bars and they were actually there to keep the sides of the movie from being chopped off to make the width bigger, I learned to live with and even like them on a normal tv :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Aaw:frown:. Well, you're welcome to come visit me and watch movies on my widescreen then :smile:. Or even with it not set to widescreen, FR looks pretty spiffy in HD :excited:

Reaction score
Can any fan help me?

I'm on the verge of making the decision to boycott the "Complete Series" DVD set, but I still want to get Season 4 of Fraggle Rock.

I see some fans saying the thing to do is buy the Season 4 set from eBay, which is Region 4 (PAL), and then convert it to NTSC because I don't have a region-free player.

Trouble is, video duplication services I've called either won't do it (citing copyright restrictions) or they will but warned me that a straight conversion will lose all menu settings and episode breaks. The only thing they can offer is periodic chapter breaks, but they would have to "re-author" the DVDs at large expense in order to retain individual episodes.

Does anyone out there have other options? Can anyone do this right for me for cheap? You know, if I pay 20 dollars for the set, then 20 dollars to ship it to the USA, and then another 50 or more for duplication -- I mean, I might as well buy the collector's set and have it good!

Will check back for responses.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm on the verge of making the decision to boycott the "Complete Series" DVD set, but I still want to get Season 4 of Fraggle Rock.

I see some fans saying the thing to do is buy the Season 4 set from eBay, which is Region 4 (PAL), and then convert it to NTSC because I don't have a region-free player.

Trouble is, video duplication services I've called either won't do it (citing copyright restrictions) or they will but warned me that a straight conversion will lose all menu settings and episode breaks. The only thing they can offer is periodic chapter breaks, but they would have to "re-author" the DVDs at large expense in order to retain individual episodes.

Does anyone out there have other options? Can anyone do this right for me for cheap? You know, if I pay 20 dollars for the set, then 20 dollars to ship it to the USA, and then another 50 or more for duplication -- I mean, I might as well buy the collector's set and have it good!

Will check back for responses.
It's cheaper to just break down and buy a player, mine only cost about $25 on ebay, or if you don't mind being limited to the computer the VLC player plays PAL even if your main DVD player on the computer doesn't :smile:

Reaction score
Buying a new player is not an option

I already have three DVD players, not counting the one in my computer, and all of them are Region 1 only.

I don't want to buy another one just to play one set of discs.

Carrie

Redsonga

Reaction score
I already have three DVD players, not counting the one in my computer, and all of them are Region 1 only.

I don't want to buy another one just to play one set of discs.

Carrie
But look at it this way, you can buy any DVD from any part of the work and have it world then, the UK for one gets so many DVDs we don't, and then there is Japan that often gets animated movies that already have perfect english subtitles years before we do....

And like I said, the VLC player when you download it can play any DVD for any part of the world even if your drive on your computer itself doesn't...
Anyway, I was just saying if you are willing to pay $20 anyway a little bit over that to play FR and every DVD in the world without having to worry is worth it IMHO :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.