Who are you?

scarecroe

Reaction score
Jamie

But that's not a problem with Flash, that's a problem with poor design.
What I said was:
That's another thing I really don't like about Flash sites....
I wasn't necessarily attacking the Flash medium, but more of how it's most commonly deployed; which is more often than not similar to how PWMS's site is laid out. And for them it's fine. That site is meant to be "played" with. In other cases - such as with the disgusting new Henson.com - certain sections should be available by directly linking to them.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Scott

I definitely see your point. The problem is really less with Flash or the sites themselves - it really is with the designers. The medium has few limits, but that is also its weakness. The ease of use encourages those with little experience in the fundamentals to create these dreadful pages.

I have seen many HTML sites with poor linkage layouts where you must click through several pages to end up where you want (some top sites). The most important thing I have learned so far is - how a site makes the user feel. This, of course, brings me to Henson.com.

Henson.com is obviously has many issues beyond its Flash layout. It lies to you on the front page. It says to click in order to enter when it's actually a rollover. Seems little, but it has irritated everyone I have shown it to. They are alienating people right off the bat and the glaring green background almost seems hostile. Not a good feeling.

I explained all this in a very nice email I sent to them. Actually, I had to preface it with some compliments - which was rather hard to do. LOL! I like the opening jingle and the incorporation of their films into a section of the site. That was about it. I also mentioned that many of their fans belonged to an age group older than preteens and the youthful look could be off-putting to them (us). Another bad feeling.

Forgive the rant. Henson.com is just the epitome of Flash gone wrong (actually web design gone wrong). BTW did you catch that Flash greeting card they put up the year before last? That was a cue to me that they didn't have a grasp on the medium. Eeeek!

scarecroe

Reaction score
Jamie-

I agree 100%

As for their Flash Christmas card, yeah, that was dreadfully bad (although I saved it with the notion that it was kinda cute in a "crippled bird" sort of way). Or how about the Jack and the Beanstalk Flash movie? Then again, this quality matches the level of the movie so it kinda worked out :eek:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Scott-

Originally posted by scarecroe
... how about the Jack and the Beanstalk Flash movie? Then again, this quality matches the level of the movie so it kinda worked out :eek:
Woah, LOL! That's harsh, buddy, but kind of true. I didn't enjoy the movie much.

Referring to the Christamas card as a wounded bird pretty much sums it up. There was no strategy with it. They placed a lot of crummy bitmaps in it (Flash is notorious for being rather poor with bitmaps since it is vector-based) and there wasn't really much to it. Bitmaps are fine, but there has to be a strategy in place when using them. I almost cried (not a big crier) when I saw it. Just terrible. I really think they have the same team on their site.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Jamie-

Originally posted by frogboy4
Woah, LOL! That's harsh, buddy, but kind of true. I didn't enjoy the movie much.
Yeah, I know, but I can't help it. I can't make excuses or lie and say I like a movie that I thought was total crap. Some of the concepts were really interesting, and maybe even almost original, but they were executed poorly.

It really sucks when you try and back a company with all your might and support to have them release something as horrible as this movie was. I wanted to love it. I wanted to love it even after Danny Horn trashed it in his review (which I didn't read all of at the time because I hadn't seen it yet; but I knew he trashed it).

It kinda makes it tough for you to try and let your appreciation for the company rub off on other people when their most recent stuff stinks.

Which I don't get either, by the way, because I think Brian's direction of MCC and MTI were outstanding. He and Bill just kinda dogged on the script for Jack; perhaps they should have sought counsel in someone who knew what they were doing. Like Jerry Juhl (does it pain anyone else that he was credited on MFS? I like to think that he was reponsible for any of the good parts).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I really wanted to like it too, kind of like how I wanted to like MFS. It was so terrible, in my opinion, that it made me really lose faith in Henson Co to make good decisions. I was also disappointed with MCC and MTI, but they were much better films than MFS and mildly entertaining to me.

It is clear to me that they need some new leadership to green-light these projects. I have faith they have found that in the new Fox deal.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Just wanted to come and say "Hi" to everyone. I posted somewhat on the old boards but must say that I enjoy these new boards much better. Seems more clearcut and easier to post.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
To Jennifer (DonnaMusic):

Jennifer, it's so good to see you! Of course we remember you from the old board. :smile: We're so glad you found us over here. We look forward to more posts.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Dr. Bombay:

Glad you like the new forum! It's taken some getting used to, but it's growing on me as well.

I like your avatar. By the way, done any new artwork lately?

muppetchick

Reaction score
:smile: Hi!
My name is Marian (Formerly BunsenBeaker). I was an occasional poster, frequent lurker. I've always loved muppets and my favorite muppet movie is TMM. Hopefully, I'll be posting more at this spiffy new forum.

Muppetchick(Marian)