Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

Redsonga

Reaction score
It's creepy, but the good kind of creepy. I will admit the whole GMC Charles Grodin-Miss Piggy thing nearly went up to the ick factor before strategically stepping away from that edge. To me it is the example of just how far that dynamic can go without getting slapped with a "suggestive content" label from the MPAA. :embarrassed:
I never found the pairing icky at all, I am a supporter of the two and a life long shipper. It could be because I've always found him handsome in that though *lol*:coy::excited:

beaker

Reaction score
No one is doing anything to push anything but tolerance as stated in the Muppet Central forum guidelines. Straight white male American complaining about minority guilt is completely absurd. Let's get back to topic (and forum member Beaker's post was on topic). There's room enough for *all!* Why must you always complain when things take a turn to the gay spectrum with the Muppets? They've always been cheeky. I don't take issues with the inclusions of religious references in Muppet items. Why should I? Perspective and respect should run -- both ways.

It's the holidays for frog's sake!
Well my point was just to mention that the Muppets have always been inclusive. People complained that Franklin was too much of a black stereotype on Sesame Street, and now "Old School Sesame Street" is labeled as "for mature audiences" or something because it shows kids playing in a real ghetto.

Some people might have been offended at Swedish Chef, as admittedly it is kind of a racist portrayal. But I've noticed that
the Muppets have been good about being very inclusive. A lot of Muppet fans might not know that there are so many international Sesame Streets made for Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, African and other cultures. That's the beauty of it. I'd say even people who follow new age beliefs got represented well in Fraggle Rock.

As Obama said in his acceptance speech, doesn't matter if you're white, black, asian, straight, gay. My mention was just that, I think it's nice we're at a point where we can have a bi-racial African American girl and a white mom and noone will wonder why.

And what did ever happen with Tinseltown? I thought with better writing it could be pretty good.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I never found the pairing icky at all, I am a supporter of the two and a life long shipper. It could be because I've always found him handsome in that though *lol*:coy::excited:
Yeah...that was what I was saying. That they *didn't* step over that line into the ick factor. It could have headed there but stopped just short of a disturbing portrayal. If you go back and read the body of my post you'll see I was holding that up as a model of what *to do* rather than what not to do. :wink: I particularly love that film and character dynamic as well.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well my point was just to mention that the Muppets have always been inclusive. People complained that Franklin was too much of a black stereotype on Sesame Street, and now "Old School Sesame Street" is labeled as "for mature audiences" or something because it shows kids playing in a real ghetto.
I know. It's strange because that's actually how the show was intended - for poor children left unattended because their parents were working. Now SS is focus tested to suit a more suburban appeal. Much of the fun and relatable elements are now gone.

Some people might have been offended at Swedish Chef, as admittedly it is kind of a racist portrayal. But I've noticed that
the Muppets have been good about being very inclusive. A lot of Muppet fans might not know that there are so many international Sesame Streets made for Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, African and other cultures. That's the beauty of it. I'd say even people who follow new age beliefs got represented well in Fraggle Rock.

As Obama said in his acceptance speech, doesn't matter if you're white, black, asian, straight, gay. My mention was just that, I think it's nice we're at a point where we can have a bi-racial African American girl and a white mom and noone will wonder why.

And what did ever happen with Tinseltown? I thought with better writing it could be pretty good.
I agree with the Muppets' message of “multi-culturism”. If there's any example of a "melting pot" it's the Henson characters!

Tinseltown was canceled and likely never meant for more than just messing around with puppets to see what could happen. I'm a little saddened by it, but it appears that everyone will be busy with the Muppets, Fraggles and the Happytime Murders film. Tinseltown was mostly set-up but without much punchline.

Back to LTS. I really did expect to see more kids of all cultures writing letters to Santa in some sort of montage. I’m not saying that’s how it should have gone, but that’s how it appeared to be from the title. I guess that’s where the opening shot comes from.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Yeah...that was what I was saying. That they *didn't* step over that line into the ick factor. It could have headed there but stopped just short of a disturbing portrayal. If you go back and read the body of my post you'll see I was holding that up as a model of what *to do* rather than what not to do. :wink: I particularly love that film and character dynamic as well.
Oh, good then :big_grin:. I always wondered how it would have turned out if they got together...Now days it doesn't seem like they when ever do a Piggy Kermit and human guy love triangle story..or if they did it wouldn't be as good :embarrassed:

Beauregard

Reaction score
It's creepy, but the good kind of creepy. I will admit the whole GMC Charles Grodin-Miss Piggy thing nearly went up to the ick factor before strategically stepping away from that edge. To me it is the example of just how far that dynamic can go without getting slapped with a "suggestive content" label from the MPAA. :embarrassed:
I always found that pair quite...chilling. The scene in the dressing room where he grabs her arm, Miss Piggy seemed genuinely scared of the man before being saved by an unscheduled sudden apearence of her mon capitan!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I always found that pair quite...chilling. The scene in the dressing room where he grabs her arm, Miss Piggy seemed genuinely scared of the man before being saved by an unscheduled sudden apearence of her mon capitan!
That's the only time I felt the pig was truly vulnerable. No wonder she prefers sweet and happy singing frogs to jewel thieves sporting flowered socks. :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I guess I liked it because for once it seemed like a realistic sort of creepy/sweet. Like something that would happen between two humans, not just a human and a muppet. Some relationships just have that scary edge... and it showed more of Piggys' character under all of the acting she's use to doing...

Anyway if you think about it it's no more creepy than the way Pepe shows his...love all the time :stick_out_tongue:. Golly if I got talked to by him for months and months like that mom in my own apts I would be investing in some pepperspray...or some garlic butter, one of the two :3.

*likes handsome jewel thieves sporting flowered socks over creepy seafood that sleeps underwater*

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh yes I really did love how much it meant that Piggy showed way more layers to her character than she usually does (or does these days). You forgot to mention British flower-sock-wearing jewel thieves.

I agree it would be wise for Claire's mamma to invest in cracked pepper, garlic butter, and a tub of batter for deep-frying.