Do you feel bad for liking Sesame Street?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I've known plenty of people who, because they have a supposedly 'normal' mind next to my learning disabled one, think that that makes what they think somehow magically better than my view of the world..It doesn't, not at all:excited:.
Ugh... I've gotten that since the at least the fourth grade for being in special ED, so I know all too well what that's like. People always act like there better, or smarted or know more or better then you because their "normal or because you think differently than they do. :stick_out_tongue:

"Because now we can eat cookies whenever we want, darn it!"
At my old job, whenever I was on my lunch breake, I use to say that I can eat all the junk I want and my mom is not here to tell me to eat my vegtables and kids would look at me with suprised looks on their face, haha! I alwyas ate vegatable, though... :wink:

Andibcool

Reaction score
Feeling bad because i like Sesame street ? Of course not. Why should i ? Its part of my childhood and i still enjoy seeing clips with Grover, Kermit, Ernie & Bert and all the others.
Who cares what other ppl think about it, i have my own taste and im an individiual that can decide what i want to do and not do what all others do.
If ppl dont understand or tease you because u like Sesame Street its basicly there loss.
If they tease you just say: "Yeah i like watching sesame street so what ? There is nothing wrong with watching it. If you have a different taste ok i have mine"
Maybe you should tell them making your own decitions is much more adult then doin what other ppl do.
Ah really i for one would not really care im 37 and i did visit Seasame street life with my wife alone. Sure its basicly for kids but was fun to watch anyway.

Always remember real friends like you how you are. You dont need ppl that will be your friends only if you do what they want.

mr3urious

Reaction score
If people can't deal with the fact that others have different tastes, that's their problem!

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Of course I don't feel bad about liking Sesame Street or the Muppets or anything that may be considered juvenile in other people's eyes.

I think that the fact that I am a kid-friendly creator (in my case, I make comics) somehow gives me some sort of an excuse in other people's eyes. Like it's somehow research. Heheh.

Though honestly, it's interesting to see how much Sesame Street apparel and merchandise is out there for older kids/teens and young adults. In some ways, it is cool to wear a T-shirt with Oscar or Cookie Monster or Elmo on it.

I came to realize something when I was in middle school and high school. The dominant reason why kids pick on other kids for liking something is because they are insecure in their own maturity. Kids start hating Barney largely because if they don't hate it, they are deemed uncool or babyish by their peers. Kids become so wrapped up in this facade and the need to be cool and to grow up, it becomes a cycle in which one insecure kid causes an another kid to be insecure about their likes and dislikes. It's peer pressure. It's not to say they necessarily like what they mock deep down, but sometimes it is. I learned to not let what anyone else said get to me and how I feel about something, even if it was my own family or an adult who put what I liked down.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
"Because now we can eat cookies whenever we want, darn it!"

Anyway isn't it better/more sane to feel bad about things that are actually...bad? I mean, we really aren't hurting ourselves or others. You can't get 2nd hand letter smoke from being near someone that watches SST:stick_out_tongue:
Well, yeah, it involves food (I really do eat like a kid - chocolate milk and a heated cheese pizza is something I could live on), but it's also the fact that I watch and enjoy things kids do (cartoons, etc.). So my list of things I get isn't "normal" for my age unless it's for an offspring or niece/nephew or something (I have neither, by the way) XD

But, yeah, as I said before, like what you like, or you'll be miserable. You don't have to advertise it if you don't want, and at least you're not doing something actually harmful/wreckless like going to keggers or smoking weed or... shooting nuns or something.

ssetta

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but these responses aren't getting me anywhere. You guys are just telling me what I WANT to hear. It actually wasn't until I branched out of Muppet Central and started posting on other message boards about my feelings for Sesame Street. And that person I was talking with whom which I posted in my first post of this thread, I actually met this person on a message board called The Fresh Zone, a board that is primarily focused on Britney Spears. Is there anything I can do to convince that person to see Sesame Street the same way we do? That person really scarred me.

Kiki

Reaction score
Hey, I'm one of the darkest people you could meet if you get to really know me, but I'll be danged if I don't go to sleep in a room that looks like it belongs to a 10 year old. :shifty:
I'm a little bit the same. My room is full of nostelgic movie/band posters, but it's also full of figurines and soft-toys. :smile: Love it.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but these responses aren't getting me anywhere. You guys are just telling me what I WANT to hear. It actually wasn't until I branched out of Muppet Central and started posting on other message boards about my feelings for Sesame Street. And that person I was talking with whom which I posted in my first post of this thread, I actually met this person on a message board called The Fresh Zone, a board that is primarily focused on Britney Spears. Is there anything I can do to convince that person to see Sesame Street the same way we do? That person really scarred me.
well, i usually tell the person that the humor was always aimed at adults who would be watching with their kids, and i tailor my example to what that specific person might get, reminding them how clever it is to write a song that teaches something to kids while at the same time is a joke for adults. what does this person like? has sesame street done a parody of it, or done something in that style? then e-mail them the link to one, maybe 30 rocks or pre-school musical.

but if it's the kind of person who that wouldn't work for anyway, just forget trying to convert them. but instead of going on the defensive about liking a kiddie show, phrase your comments differently. i mean, i always used to think of it nostalgically as a show for kids, but i happened to watch a clip or two on youtube and realized it's pretty hilarious because now i get the humor they aimed at adults to begin with. it totally fits my sense of humor--which includes spinal tap, naked gun, monty python, seinfeld, national lampoon, and the daily show. if that's not their sense of humor, they might not want to watch it, but it's highly entertaining to adults who like that sort of humor.

(aka put it in an adult entertainment context, rather than in the context of children's shows. it belongs there anyway. it's in a league of its own in the context of kids shows, but the humor is similar to a lot of these other shows for adults)

Crazy31088

Reaction score
I agree completely that there's no point in trying to convert people who don't/won't accept that you like the show. Either stop talking to them, or do the mature thing and learn to move on when you find someone who disagrees with you.