Can the MR Gonzo be converted to a puppet?

Noteasybingreen

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just received my MR Gonzo in the post today and he is absolutely brilliant! However, I have a collection of 'muppet puppets' consisting of Kermit, Miss Piggy and Animal and was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to convert Gonzo into a working puppet himself? Also, how would you go about doing this and are there any puppet building experts around to give me some advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I'm not really sure about Gonzo, but according to some of the people on another thread, Kermit can't be turned into a puppet.

Of course, I don't own any of the photo puppets.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Trying to unpick, and separate glued foam to wire is going to leave a destroyed pile of mess!

Reaction score
I have made mine into a puppet.

I used a seam ripper to cut the back seam out without damaging the fur. I removed all the wires except the ones in his hands. I had to break a few of the wires by bending them over and over in the same spots (like at the wrist).

The body foam had to get hollowed out a bit to make room for my arm.

I still have to line the body cavity because the foam crumbles a bit and leaves white bits on my arm every time I take it in and out. I also have to sew up the back, but it's doable.

luther962

Reaction score
Hi there,

I converted mine to a working puppet in about 4 hours time. It is not that hard to do (my son said it was kinda like cleaning a fish). The hardest part is the head seeing as the skull and the nose are all one peice and you have to carve out a space for your hand. Maybe it is because I don't know any better, but it seemed easy enough. As for the body foam and plastic sternum, I just removed those completely and replaced it with my own foam.
Good luck!
Peace,

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
Hi there,

I converted mine to a working puppet in about 4 hours time. It is not that hard to do (my son said it was kinda like cleaning a fish). The hardest part is the head seeing as the skull and the nose are all one peice and you have to carve out a space for your hand. Maybe it is because I don't know any better, but it seemed easy enough. As for the body foam and plastic sternum, I just removed those completely and replaced it with my own foam.
Good luck!
Peace,
Do you have photos? I know all those wanting to do it want to see what it looks like after.

luther962

Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to this forum and not sure how to attach a photo (where's the paperclip?). Iwould be happy to take some pics of my Gonzo puppet and post it here, I just need to find out how to do it.