Nickelodeon Petition

Drtooth

Reaction score
Very true. I also believe that networks are just as responsible - especially ABC's cancelation for Muppets Tonight. Zim was a great show that wasn't targeted correctly. Nick, Fox or somebody should create a 24 hour network like what Adult Swim was supposed to be. Too many clever things are dumbed-down over time for the kiddies.
And kid's shows have the sharpest writing I've ever seen. That's the worst part. Heck, most of them reference things they could only get away with mentioning on Frasier.

But besides the point, Nick was never very creator friendly is the point I'm driving home. Either you play ball with them, or they'll turn on you. Could you imagine if they pulled the same stunt with Zim as they did with Ren and Stimpy? Firing the creators and getting terrible writers write sort of kind of like the show, leading to incomprehensible garbage that's more disturbing than funny?

Muppetplus

Reaction score
Nickelodeon is pretty much becoming what Disney Channel currently is. That channel also use to be cool... those were the days :frown:

beakerfan76

Reaction score
Nickelodeon is pretty much becoming what Disney Channel currently is. That channel also use to be cool... those were the days :frown:
I see what you mean. Disney Channel threw away what made them famous in favor of cheap, trashy TV/pop stars. Why replace timeless programs with stuff that'll be as memorable as what I had for lunch Tuesday?

Nick seems to want to rip off Disney's current cashcows (Spectacular! is a High School Musical knock-off, Big Time Rush is a worse clone of the Jonas Brothers with twice the autotune, need I go on?), thus losing the creativity it once had.

The problem is they've become shells of their former selves, today's generation can be entertained by cheapo, merchandise driven eye candy, but like I said, it's all about the Benjamins. If it makes money, they'll do it. It's not a bad thing by any means, but when on compromises creativity with cliches, it's just laziness.

However, that said, at least Disney cares about the Muppets, given you forgave the Studio DC special. :excited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
We're old... get over it.

Besides... to me, Nick wasn't Nick until the 90's when they launched Nicktoons. Nick ALWAYS had live action programming AND animation... just we're getting more of the former and less of the latter.

And frankly, I'm in the small minority that thinks that 1980's Nick (outside of You can't Do That on Television and Pinwheel... that's all I saw at my friends house) was overrated. Noozels? David the Gnome? I just wanted them OVER so I could watch DangerMouse or Count Duckula... and I never did until I watched them online 20 years later. No. Doug, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko, Angry Beavers... that's where it's AT! They need another breakthrough cartoon series... and hopefully that what untitled 2012 TMNT project will be (I have fears about how that's gonna turn out). But in the mean time, they, like EVERYONE ELSE, is struggling with animation. it's too dang expensive and no one wants junk food advertisements that actually give them the money to do them. Plus kids would rather play long drawn out video games (not the stuff we used to play... stuff that takes weeks on end to beat ONE level) than watch TV... or they do it all online, legally or illegally.

And this is considering I don't even have cable... but they should take Nicktoons OUT of the premium super digital satellite line up and put it in basic. Heck, they reran all the old Nicktoons at some point.

The only channel I have a beef with is CN. They're CARTOON Network. not "trying desperately to be Disney and failing epically" Network. At least they're sort of releasing the old stuff on Season DVD's.

Muppetplus

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that Nickelodeon once cared about the Muppets (even though Nick's airings typically were edited). Then again, Nick's current 'lack of Muppets' probably has to do with Disney's ownership. But at least Disney cares about the Muppets!

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that Nickelodeon once cared about the Muppets (even though Nick's airings typically were edited). Then again, Nick's current 'lack of Muppets' probably has to do with Disney's ownership. But at least Disney cares about the Muppets!
Nick stopped airing the Muppets long before Disney bought them and yeah it's VERY unlikey they be able to air them any time in the furture thanks to Disney owning them as well. But I doubt Nick would even want to air the Muppets, sadly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nick stopped airing the Muppets long before Disney bought them and yeah it's VERY unlikey they be able to air them any time in the furture thanks to Disney owning them as well. But I doubt Nick would even want to air the Muppets, sadly.

That's what I was going to say last night, actually... but didn't bother posting it.

Yeah, they stopped airing Muppet stuff even before the EMTV buyout. Even if they could, they wouldn't air it. They have their own Nick Jr. shows and I still think that The Muppet Show had no business being a preschooler program (talk about linking Henson to something Kiddy)... but it was great that they had it air later in the day.

The one thing Nick did right up until the late 90's was rerun older programs that weren't their own. Now their programming is almost all originals... except for Nick at Nite.

Now, Nick at Nite (and I'm probably in the small minority here) needs to be disbanded. They aren't showing old sitcoms, so there's really no point in keeping that around. Put the older kid's programming up until 10 or something... put classic cartoon reruns on until the morning... essentially an all retro adult swim.

Muppetplus

Reaction score
I agree that Nick probably doesn't care about the Muppets anymore (then again, they really don't care about anything these days except money).

But when I was referring to the whole Disney owning the Muppets thing, I didn't mean that that was why Nick took the Muppets off. I mean't that that is why Nick isn't currently airing the Muppets. Just thought I should clear that up. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
then again, they really don't care about anything these days except money
So... they were complete communists up until this point.

Dude... they ALWAYS only cared about money. Now there's just a lot less of it.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I know this probably won't be a popular statement on my part, but let's face it MONEY IS ALWAYS IMPORTANT.