2011 Muppet Movie plot officially announced

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
The Theater as a National Landmark probably shouldn't be taken too closely to heart, though. If there's one thing the Muppets do well it's altering canon whenever they need to.

I think the last thing Disney would want to do is make ANY reference to Muppets Tonight. The whole reason we're getting this movie is to jump-start the franchise. It's called 'The Muppets.' We're basically starting at square 1, here.

I don't mean this to criticize... I just think we should be prepared for it to be an gateway film for little kids and their parents (who probably watched The Muppet Show when THEY were kids). It will probably be a REALLY fun movie, but nothing we haven't seen before in one way or another.

We'll see bits and pieces of old films - revisiting the past while getting everyone excited for the future.

dwmckim

Reaction score
If you compared VMX and "The Muppets"'s simplified one-sentence summaries, they may seem similar, but trust me - they really will be two very different projects. It won't be VMX II. You probably won't even really think of VMX when you watch it.

If anything, parts of it may remind you more of MTM due to the "finding where the split up Muppets have scattered off to" element but they're still done very differently. One of the things i didn't like as much about MTM was that too much of the middle really seemed too Kermit/Piggy with Rizzo-heavy. The others made cameos in their Fraggle-like postcard segments and you really only got a good ensemble at the beginning and the end (and even then, it was a very streamlined group). From what i can tell, "TM" won't suffer this problem - very good ensemble piece (though the one weak spot might be the beginning which was essentially all Gary/Mary/Walter for the first 10-15 minutes in an earlier draft...but i'm hoping that got fixed with later rewrites.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I don't know if keeping the villain an oil tycoon was such a great idea. The way things are going, the public will say "GAH! Forget their movie studio! Drill right through them so gas can temporarily be 5 cents less a gallon!" Really, we're going to hear an AWFUL lot of that.

To me the ideal villain SHOULD have been a crooked real estate developer/sales man or banker... but that was done in VMX.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's a few things I've noticed that I'm wondering (and I'm okay with spoilers, for those of you h=who have seen a draft of the script). Many articles mention that the movie shows what Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, and Animal have been up to, and they are the only ones on the poster. I hope we get to see what other characters are up to as well. I assume Camilla is still with Gonzo when he's seperated from the group, and hopefully Animal is still with The Electric Mayhem (or at least Floyd), and presumably Foo-Foo would be with Miss Piggy (and Robin with Kermit).

But I wonder how much focus will be on reuniting the Muppets (I think one of the script reviews I read said it was only half the movie), and what they will actually do to get everybody reunited. Will there be some sort of quick montage after the important characters are found? Will there be a "sometime later..."-type caption?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I hope they keep the gag of Rowlf working at a Kinko's run by cats. That idea sound so hilarious

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Random Question about the Movie

On Muppet Wiki, they List the muppets who are going to be in the movie (presumably based on who's been seen in the trailers)

Anyways, Clifford is in that list, but I haven't seen him in any trailers, does anyone know if he's in it? I hope he is, I really like him (I'm also wondering about Johnny Fiamma and Sal)

TSSD

Reaction score
Random Question about the Movie

On Muppet Wiki, they List the muppets who are going to be in the movie (presumably based on who's been seen in the trailers)

Anyways, Clifford is in that list, but I haven't seen him in any trailers, does anyone know if he's in it? I hope he is, I really like him (I'm also wondering about Johnny Fiamma and Sal)
Clifford's in it. Kevin Clash told the Muppet Mindset when they interviewed him about "Being Elmo". As for Johnny and Sal, hopefully, but unlikely.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Awesome!

I'm not necessarily a huge Johnny/Sal fan, but I hope their in it, just for the reason that it looks like sooo many characters are in it, that hopefully this can be a movie without any "oh yeah, but (this character) wasn't in it" Seems like a pretty complete cast so far

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
A 2 hour kids movie is in a word impossible! 90 is the industry standard... sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less... but there is pressure that keeps movies 90 minutes long, and I bet that's on the end of the theaters and cinema chains to get as many showings of multiple blockbusters as possible. There's less pressure for adult movies to follow that (as more action based films get the full 2 sometimes more), but other than Speed Racer (which is a bad example anyway) and Harry Potter (which is an epic that somehow seems skewed to kids... as is Narnia,... and any film types like that), 90 seems to be the magic number and the unbreakable force field.

I don't see a 2 hour Muppet movie in the cards at all... none of them were.
my problem with this, is that you state "kids movie" - while i appreciate its probably seen as that, i hope that doesnt mean all the adult humour they had in the original movies is gone. The bad thing about new muppet movies is that they are TOO kidified. i was under the impression that most muppet fans were adults. (in the old days as it were you had people like parkinson FLIRTING with miss piggy - that aint a kids show) Ok, yes, ok because of how they are made they are going to be seen as childish, but to be fair im not sure many kids even know who the muppets are these days. (well in the UK anyway). and as for it needing 2 hours because of the script and events - no need. Look at how much they crammed into GMC. I dont think its about length, its about quality. Like it or not, i guess Ill just have to accept that muppets are now strictly for kids, and correct me if im wrong, but i thought that was what sesame street was for. Im happy to be a big kid. Im not happy with condesending movies that forget the fans now in their late 20s up.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
I'm trying very hard not to read more updates about this. I want to enjoy the movie when it comes out. All new and fresh :flirt:

It sounds promising although I thought the Muppet Theatre was a historical land mark? I hope they introduce the characters again so the new audiences can get to know who they are.
yeah bit of a plot point there - in the TV christmas movie Pepe lists it as a historical landmark so the bank cant take it away from them.

Although I have heard that this movie is supposed to follow on from the original movies - erego that event never happened or at least hasnt yet?