The "Can Fraggle Rock make a comeback? What does the show mean to you ?" thread

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
I really would like the show to return on a different channel besides the Hub because some people don't even get it and where I live I can't watch it because it's on at 7 am and I'm usually in class. Kids really need to watch the good shows,not the stuff they show today on TV. I was over my friend's house and her little sister was watching Fish Hooks and it's so stupid.

If only the company that owns Fraggle Rock would promote it more like Disney does with the Muppets. With Youtube videos,Facebook,Twitter,etc. I can understand if the company is busy working on other projects but if they just did a test video on Youtube and tons of people love it,I know they'll continue to do them.

I just hope that when they plan the movie,they don't change the characters' personalities or something like the Smurfs movie. If I were them,I'd watch reruns of the FR to get an idea of what the movie's plot line should be.
Good idea. I'm glad that someone besides me believes that the movie someday, somehow, will come out. Let's hope it isn't really terrible. I, for one, believe in being optimistic. It may take years, but Fraggle Rock will rise again.

Whimsy

Reaction score
As much as I love Fraggle Rock (believe me, I am incredibly passionate about it), I don't know if the market will ever allow it to thrive. First, there's the studio/distributer market, and then there is the general public.

The way I figure it, I think the execs involved have too many assumptions about old franchises - that they had their moments, or that they needs something to "spice them up". Look at Smurfs or The Chipmunks to see what old franchises "need" to have (I enjoyed the the poop joke in the first Chipmunks movie stands out).

Can Fraggle Rock successfully relaunched? I think so. But I don't think it can happen on its own terms; I think the Rock needs a blank slate, but otherwise I believe that it can return, it'll be new, but the core fundamentals will be the same.

Alvin

Reaction score
I think Fraggle Rock could do good on a DVD movie release...but theatrical, not sure if it would do very good. Even a TV movie would be good. I mean it would great to ressurect ALL Jim Henson stuff, but it's just a different world today. Glad to have the Muppets around still, but Fraggles...Dark Crystal...etc... I don't know maybe it's me...it's a very hard market and very different today.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some how, I'd rather no movie than a cheapo DTV release. DTV movies have such varying quality... animated ones look like 90's Saturday morning cartoons... live action ones tend to look like TV shows... unless they have a huge budget. An FR movie demands a theatrical budget. The puppet building alone would cost a fortune. The Muppets lucked out by only having to build so many of them. But Fraggle Rock, well... Red's built... that's it. We'd need Gorgs, Doozers, background Fraggles... not to mention we'd love the budget to make Fraggle Rock look like a realistic deep cave. Again, look at a typical Sesame Street episode, then look at Follow that Bird.

I don't think a DTV budget would hold all of that.

HC doesn't seem to be able to do much lately, but they're trying. It must have been a huge blow to lose Jim Henson, the driving force behind the whole company. I miss him, even though I never knew him.
In the meantime, as many people as possible should show FR to people who don't know about it. That's one of the best ways we can help right now.
The problem is, Jim held a lot of sway with the company. And even back when he was a dynamo doing everything himself, he needed a business partner to go in for projects. Like the Henson/Columbia partnership ever since the 80's. I don't want to go through the explanation again, but they didn't have any good ones lately.

I just hope that when they plan the movie,they don't change the characters' personalities or something like the Smurfs movie. If I were them,I'd watch reruns of the FR to get an idea of what the movie's plot line should be.
(Snicker) OH the stuff I could tell you about how the 1980's cartoon almost turned out. The only reason I'm more comfortable with the movie was reading up on how the Smurfs were going to be caricatures of celebrities and various different colors. I'm not making that up. Oh... and look up Smurfs Barbie Girl on Youtube... yeah... that's a LOT more hipster sell out than the movie would ever be.

Still, thechanges in personality bugged me... and I hope they need not invent another Fraggle for no reason. I don't like Gutsy Smurf at all... I wish they replaced him with Vanity in the final project.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
(Snicker) OH the stuff I could tell you about how the 1980's cartoon almost turned out. The only reason I'm more comfortable with the movie was reading up on how the Smurfs were going to be caricatures of celebrities and various different colors. I'm not making that up. Oh... and look up Smurfs Barbie Girl on Youtube... yeah... that's a LOT more hipster sell out than the movie would ever be.

Still, thechanges in personality bugged me... and I hope they need not invent another Fraggle for no reason. I don't like Gutsy Smurf at all... I wish they replaced him with Vanity in the final project.
Er... I... what person came up with an idea like that?! Ugh, I feel a little faint. Celebrity caricatures in varying colors?

I love the Fraggles very much, even though I did not grow up watching them and my only exposure to them was through the Muppet Family Christmas TV special when it aired, and I want them to do well. I just don't want them to be fart joked and diva-ified. I don't want a Chipmunks or a Smurfs. There is a bright side to the Smurfs movie, though. They are releasing the old comics in English, and I've bought every single volume :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Er... I... what person came up with an idea like that?! Ugh, I feel a little faint. Celebrity caricatures in varying colors?
That was the show Hanna Barbera planned on doing. There's a Smurfs coffee table/art book that gives that little anecdote. Suffice to say, Peyo managed to have first refusal and final say and we got blue Smurfs that aren't Marx Brothers. Seriously, Jokey was ALMOST Harpo (or Groucho... I forget the specifics).

I love the Fraggles very much, even though I did not grow up watching them and my only exposure to them was through the Muppet Family Christmas TV special when it aired, and I want them to do well. I just don't want them to be fart joked and diva-ified. I don't want a Chipmunks or a Smurfs. There is a bright side to the Smurfs movie, though. They are releasing the old comics in English, and I've bought every single volume :smile:
Yeah... the fact that they're actually popular again makes me pretty happy. I LOVE seeing the original comics (far better than the show ever was), and I'm starting to see more retro styled merchandise, even stuff for kids... I'd give the movie a solid C- and that's far generous. I don't want to see a generous C- for a Fraggle Movie. It should at least be as high quality a film as The Muppets was, only without such a frantic pace. I really wish Corey's original script would be purchased from Weinstine... they have NOTHING to gain from holding onto a script they're never going to produce... he once stated in his blog that everything that they forced into the Smurfs movie was everything he was trying to keep out of the Fraggle movie (including the completely pointless Guitar Hero sequence). We need someone with that integrity to write the film...someone who can stand up against forcible gimickiness that in the end impresses no one.

PanthraDion

Reaction score
I really hope that Fraggle Rock makes a comeback. I can understand what everyone is saying, but if Disney buys Fraggle Rock, ( and I am assuming that they have not, but I have started a thread on that called Does Disney own Fraggle Rock?) then, as I like to say, Fraggle Rock will be in good hands.:excited: