Anyone worried about the next generation?

mo

Reaction score
I like mario he gets the girl...luigi gets toad XD
me and my cousins used to play mario all the time as in pretend to be the characters I was always rosina from mario galaxy!

mo

Reaction score
punk girls are awesome if I was'nt blond,upbeat and niave I would probably be one!

I never had a cartoon crush! boys are yucky! lol!
but then again I do kinda like artie springer...
but then again waffle the cow monkey was adorable in his own way!

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I've been saying this for years.

Look at what kids are doing today:
- Doing drugs and getting high
- Having unprotected sex and dropping babies
- Joining gangs and causing chaos
- Running around looting stores
- Shooting or stabbing people for the heck of it

And THESE are the hands that the future of our society are in, and society today is already corrupted as it is.
I'm not going to say this isn't a problem - I come from an area where all of these things are things we have to deal with every day. But a) there's no "shooting or stabbing for the heck of it." It happens because people, especially young people, get scared. In Durham, North Carolina, many of the people you see involved with gangs and crime are younger than sixteen. Tell me a sixteen-year-old is robbing a convenience store just because he wants some cigarettes. Most of them just don't know what else to do. Which leads me to b) While everyone has a choice of whether or not to do these things, so many of them, including people I know, came from backgrounds where they never learned right and wrong, weren't educated well at all, and found no support from adults.

So don't place all the blame on the kid doing the crime. Because so much of it is because of the people who never gave them a chance.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So don't place all the blame on the kid doing the crime. Because so much of it is because of the people who never gave them a chance.
Totally with you. These troublemakers need help, and just throwing them in jail won't help, since often times they can become even worse people. What we need is more education, not incarceration.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Totally with you. These troublemakers need help, and just throwing them in jail won't help, since often times they can become even worse people. What we need is more education, not incarceration.
The thing is you can educate people til you're blue in the face and some still won't listen. That's when, unfortunately, they often need to be incarcerated for the safety of the rest of the population.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
The thing is you can educate people til you're blue in the face and some still won't listen. That's when, unfortunately, they often need to be incarcerated for the safety of the rest of the population.
No, what NEEDS to happen is that this education needs to begin earlier. We need kids to begin learning right and wrong as soon as possible. We need to nurture them, help them understand, and most of all, show them that WE care.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No, what NEEDS to happen is that this education needs to begin earlier. We need kids to begin learning right and wrong as soon as possible. We need to nurture them, help them understand, and most of all, show them that WE care.
I guess what I'm saying is talk is cheap. Children are in fact being educated, but talk can only go so far.

I do agree about nurturing of course; many of these kids just lack a solid foundation from the start.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rainbow Brite I agree, lol. With the Care Bears, it depended on the incarnation, it could occasionally be rather atmospheric.
I've quite learned to hate only a couple things I liked as a kid... Care Bears is one of them. I had a pretty impressive collection when I was very little... now I want to set the dang things on fire, and I'm not the kind of guy to do that. I rewatched some of Teddy Ruxpin, fearing that I wouldn't like it again a few years back... but it was a SOLID adventure show. Only thing I really liked about Care Bears were the episodes with No Heart, Screech and Beastly.

Meanwhile, Bravestarr is the freaking deepest thing from the 1980's, and a million times darker than it could have been. Even when He-man had a very deep point to make, they'd spend the end of the episode laughing at Orko doing something. Bravestarr had episodes that ended bittersweet with Tex Hex looking down on a mountain at a woman he once loved, almost tearfully saying "Merry Christmas" (whatever her name was). I almost cried. That's something straight out of a Japanese cartoon.

There's a LOT of gang culture that needs to be crushed. A lot of it comes from broken homes, a lot of it stems from the pretty homophobic beliefs of what a "man" is (a violent thug, apparently), it's a VERY screwed up mindset. Generations have been trying to break it, but they still manage to recruit disenfranchised youths. Education can help some, some will ignore. But that's usually the way with everything, herald has a point there.... like some people don't care about the dangers of smoking or drunk driving no matter what you tell them. people who don't care should be punished, people who can be swayed need education. But we have to change the way we punish the former so they don't come out even worse.

It's not as easy as a solution no matter what approach you take. This is decades of damage and a mindset to re-educate. I hate to be the white guy that blames rap music, but corporate rap has a hand in this. The fake "Gangstas and Pimps are COOL, they slap hos" fashion they perpetuate... glorifying gangs and violence... something they did in the 90's... that did an awful lot of damage.

I'm saying there needs to be LONG and thoughtful change to keep anyone from turning into that. There will always be those who don't care. There will be those who join up as revenge... it's a culture that's hard to undermine.