Industry Giveaways

Walterfego

Reaction score
Does anyone know the reasoning used behind the industry giveaways? MOST of the people recieving these exclusives, I would guess, are people who legitimately "don't care" about the line specifically. This then allows those people to profit from the gift that was provided to them by Palisades. Wouldn't it make more sense, on multiple levels, to give industry people an already available exclusive free of charge and save the "variants" for members of the Collector's Club? Is it the image that it gives Palisades in the eyes of industry people to receive something "exclusive" from Palisades?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the Collector's Club and the availability it offers of various con exclusives. It's terrific and goes above a level that no other toy company has done before. I'm just confused on the desired end result.

Thanks for your time!

MM-III

Reaction score
Industry giveaways have been a part of the business of action figures for a while. It helps build excitement and expose your products/business to potential retailers. Giving them their own exclusive is one of those "going the extra mile" moves that can sometimes mean the difference between a sale or not.

While I am frustrated at the number of industry exclusives this year for the muppets, I do recognize the business need... I've been assured by many that this is not likely to change.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah its basically you get something special because you are in the industry and out of like thousands of businesses at the Fair Palisades want theres to be remembered. I'm sure some of the collectors won't like it but you have to think this way .......... if those industry people are drawn to the stand and place orders then it's the fans/consumers who will ultimately be benefitting from the increased retailers taking the line, and more sales mean the line can continue for longer.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Industry give aways are hardly unique to action figures. It's a part of business. It's been going on for ages. I used to get tons of them when I worked in the music business.

Do I want White Tux Rowlf? Sure I do. But more than that, I want Palisades to be successful. I want the Muppet line in more stores, and I want it to keep selling so I can get more figures. If a few industry give aways mean I get five more series of Muppet figures, or even one more series, that's fine with me!

Giving retailers a free Invisibility Spray Fozzie or Dare Devil Gonzo isn't very enticing-- it's like giving someone last year's hot toy this year. It needs to be something new, something they cannot get any where else.

bats1972

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
Do I want White Tux Rowlf? Sure I do. But more than that, I want Palisades to be successful. I want the Muppet line in more stores, and I want it to keep selling so I can get more figures. If a few industry give aways mean I get five more series of Muppet figures, or even one more series, that's fine with me!
I really like your views on industry give aways. That is exactly how I feel. Sure, if I come across one, or can afford one in the secondary market...yeah I would buy it but I want Palisades to be successful and continue to bring Muppet figures for a long time to come. :smile:

Well put MuppetQuilter, here here!!!

WiGgY

Reaction score
Why does this question constantly come up everywhere? Are these giveaways so cool that everyone needs to have one? I don't see what's so special, unless you're a collector who wants to make big bucks in a few years.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Industry give-aways are the equivalent of a birthday party goodie bag.

Except you usually have to sit through two hours of kiddie bowling and cake for the latter...

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
Except you usually have to sit through two hours of kiddie bowling and cake for the latter...
You bowl kiddies ? Y'know if you need a shirt for that, i know where theres a good one for sale ! :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Too many giveaways? There were two last year (Dr Teeth, Invisivle Beaker) and one this year (white Tux Rowlf). Many CC members received the Beaker with their first order. There was also the wedding set, but that was only for Ken's wedding guest. It was not an industry thing at all. I am glad that they aren't giving away "choice" figures. Let's be thankful for that. I can understand how it gets irritating sometimes though.