Has Frank Oz's opinion on the new movie changed?

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I know that we probably don't know, but I was wondering if Frank Oz's opinions on the new movie may have changed since its release.

I hope he has since acquired a more positive view on it, especially after all the changes made since he read the first draft.

Also, if Frank were to say something positive about the new film, it can very well help silence the rubes who still think of him a Muppet end-all be-all (the people that still slam the new movie without thinking, knowing the history or realizing that Disney truly is the Muppets' savior irritate me).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's a question... Do we really care what he thinks in the context that we haven't heard his opinion on any of the Muppet movies made after he went on to other things, why should this be the movie he has an opinion on?

It seems that, once again, his problem stems from something scriptwise, and whether it was the first draft (which had understandable problems that were thankfully worked over with better ideas... the "mansion" for one) or an actual later draft (which I doubt), his opinion was mostly of an insider "I would have done it differently" with a little "if people enjoy the movie and it brings interest back into the characters, I'm fine with it on that level."

If nothing else, I'd hope to think he'd take it as a fan made loving tribute to the characters and Jim. it's much more a love letter than anything else, and it's far more the love letter than most of their recent projects (I needn't tell you I take MupOz as an insult).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Here's a question... Do we really care what he thinks in the context that we haven't heard his opinion on any of the Muppet movies made after he went on to other things, why should this be the movie he has an opinion on?
Well that's an interesting point. I guess though it's because this movie got a lot of hype as the big "comeback."

his opinion was mostly of an insider "I would have done it differently" with a little "if people enjoy the movie and it brings interest back into the characters, I'm fine with it on that level."
Exactly, and I'd rather people be honest then just give a generic answer. :smile:

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Thanks for that link, Mo. I was curious about that myself.

It's interesting to hear Frank's assessment that the movie was "too safe" when the very concept of The Muppets - casting them as themselves (as opposed to MCC and MTI) and attempting to recreate the long-lost TMS vibe, on a big screen no less, while producing an entirely new and entertaining stand-alone movie - strikes me as risky in and of itself. I regularly shake my head in amazement that Segel, Stoller and Bobin pulled it off.

But I understand where he's coming from, to a degree. And of course he's more than entitled to his opinion. I appreciate that he was careful in his remarks because he "didn't want to hurt anybody."

I suspect that the next movie, which will likely be more of a flat-out crazy comedy than The Muppets was, will be more to Frank's liking.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I agree with what you said. While I respect Frank's opinion, I really don't think that the movie was 'too safe'. It was a nice mix of heart and humor, a love letter to us fans, and a nice way to introduce the gang to a new audience. I am glad that Frank said that the movie was "sweet and fun". But by "cutting edge", I'm hoping he means more along the lines of, like you said, flat-out crazy comedy, rather than a pop culture heavy MFS/IAVMMCM/MWoO style. In fact, I'm sure he means that. And I'm sure we'll get both the Muppets' heartfelt and humorous style in future productions.

zoebell

Reaction score
it's hard for me to see how the older movies were more "edgy" than this one. in tone or jokes or anything. i guess the show could be edgier at times, but certainly the movies were never really like that. not that i remember anyway

Drtooth

Reaction score
it's hard for me to see how the older movies were more "edgy" than this one. in tone or jokes or anything. i guess the show could be edgier at times, but certainly the movies were never really like that. not that i remember anyway
This was pretty edgy as far as I was concerned. A GOOD kind of edgy that showed that the characters still worked.

I think by "safe" there was a concern about making huge stretches in the characters, other than Kermit's rightful depression. The movie was "safe" in terms that it wasn't experimental like GMC was, where they built an alternate universe fro the characters, same deal as MTM. Even with MCC and MTI.

But an experimental style film would have been out of the question. That's what we'll probably see next go around, but if they wanted to build the franchise, they needed to start on a solid foundation of "We're back, Baby!" Another fairy Tale film would have set them back, another theme film would have elicited yawns... The Muppets was the film they needed to make. Now they can do anything in the world, cuz they're playing with house money.