1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Has Frank Oz's opinion on the new movie changed?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Duke Remington, Dec 17, 2011.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Regarding him not doing voices for fans, he's often said that the characters are too precious to him for him to just do the voices when fans ask, feeling it cheapens the characters a bit. Though I remember seeing one interview (I think it came out around the time of Star Wars Episode III, or maybe when Death at a Funeral was in production) where he said that when members of the cast and crew of his movies ask, he'll tell them he'll only do the voices for them on the last day of filming (but what if it's somebody who won't be there on the last day?), having said something about doing so otherwise would cause the cast and crew to not take him seriously enough as a director.

And I've seen a clip of Oz on The Today Show in the early '80s where the person who interviewed him asked him to talk in Cookie Monster and Grover's voices having a conversation, which he obliged. But maybe he didn't feel that way about the voices back then.

I don't think he said anything too bad about the movie or the company.
    muppetfan24/7 and Duke Remington like this.
  2. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I don't either but given his other remarks about the film I don't think their gonna ask him. LOL!
  3. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

You never know. They might ask him. Though he'll likely decline any offers, but that's okay.
  4. Pinkflower7783

I don't think their gonna be asking him. And yeah he probably would decline but still I don't think Disney really cares about Frank to be honest. Besides their not gonna just kick Eric Jacobson to the curb. Lol!
  5. Pinkflower7783

He's also said before he really can't do voices like he used to particularly Piggy because she's too high pitched. He has also said in old video footage done in the 1970's-1980's at the time when performing her it was hard singing high notes
  6. Mo Frackle

Sure, Disney probably wouldn't do that to Eric (who has done an amazing job with Frank's characters). But Steve Whitmire has said that if Frank wanted to come back, Eric would be okay with it.
  7. Pinkflower7783

That's not their decision to make though that's a business thing. And like I said I honestly don't think Disney wants Frank. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE LOVE to see Frank come back in some capacity with The Muppets even if he can't really do voices anymore but the reality is that's more then likely not gonna happen.
  8. Mo Frackle

As Dr. Teeth would say, "too true, too true."
  9. minor muppetz

I wonder if any of the people who matter at Disney have even read these interviews with Frank where he's talked about the movie. But now I wonder if studios ever banned any celebrities or creative talents who talked badly about past films they made that the individuals didn't like or didn't like working on (Frank Oz has said that he didn't like how his The Stepford Wives turned out, does that mean he'll never direct another film from the company that made The Stepford Wives?).

I don't know whether this is the place to post this, but Frank usually performs on Sesame Street one day a year, and he said in the interview that he would perform for Muppets if Disney asked him (of course I wouldn't be surprised if he turned down an offer anyway), but I wonder if he would perform for The Jim Henson Company again if asked. I don't know how likely Henson would ask, but it would be interesting if he performed a Stuffed and Unstrung performance, or even if he had a cameo role in that upcoming Henson murder mystery (if it ever gets made).
    SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  10. Pinkflower7783

He didn't say he'd perform with the Muppets if Disney asked him he said they HAVENT asked him. Big difference there.

Now I heard and I don't wanna spread unfounded rumors so take what I say on this with a grain of salt but I had heard Frank doesn't really speak to Jim's kids. Again don't quote me on that but I did hear that at one time. How true it is I have no idea.
  11. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

I've heard that a few times myself to that Frank doesn't really speak to Jim's kids!:confused:
  12. Pinkflower7783

I heard it was over them selling The Muppets to Disney that he was against it. Like I said though take it for what it's worth but I did hear that at one time.
  13. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

By safe, I think he means a little on the kiddy side of things. The Muppets (2011) was trying to do two things
    1. Trying to resurrect the muppets (obviously)
    2. Trying to relate to a new generation
    With this we got to knoiw that the 70's and 80's had edgier family entertainment than now, and TM'11 didn't have drinking, guns, ect. TMM had guns and drinking and some adult humor, and GMC had drinking, violence, ect. and go to the CSM page to see how much stuff there's other the violence tab, the inneundo tab, and there's also some under the language, drinking, and consumerism tabs. The Muppets in all was a much kiddier film than TMM or GMC and even MTI maybe.
    heralde and SkeetScootSquat like this.
  14. SkeetScootSquat

SkeetScootSquat Active Member

If Oz ever comes back, I think Eric should do Piggy while Oz does Fozzie.Not that he is gonna come back, however.
  15. minor muppetz

I never thought of The Muppets as being more kiddie/less edgy than the other movies.
  16. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

I agree. The Muppets 2011 is not "kiddie" and Muppets Most Wanted won't be kiddie either.
  17. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Goes both ways for me. I'm grateful that Disney has actually done something successful with the Muppets. Absolutely.

Do I think The Muppets (2011) was more "kiddie" than the original movies? Yes, I do. As others have said, "family entertainment" meant something different in the '70s and '80s. You could get away with more. You could show adult concepts in kid's films and not worry about the child's brain exploding. Now the studios are terrified of mothers yelling at them. So things have been toned down a lot, to the detriment of most children's entertainment in my opinion.

If I was channel flipping and saw MTM, GMC or MTM and didn't realize they were Muppet movies, I would think they were for grown ups. If I saw Muppets (2011) without the Muppets I still would lean towards thinking it was for children.

That doesn't mean I think Muppets (2011) is bad. But there is a difference in tone.
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

But you have to admit, it was a lot less Kiddy than the previous three theatrical films and waaaaay less juvenile than Kermit's Swamp Years.

Also, if anything else, I really love how them managed to make the Piggy/Kermit relationship complex and far more adult than the lame "Kermit says something stupid and Piggy Karate Chops him" stuff you usually see.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It was a lot less mean spirited and juvenile than previous theatrical films, I will say that. But that's as far as I'll go. And again, it doesn't mean I don't like the movie.