Mister Rogers Music on Muppet Central Radio

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Tommie said:
Elton John was on the Muppet Show once. Well, put a dozen Elton John songs in the list too. I'm sure they will be rated perfectly.
I know, I know, that's what I meant. Forget I said that part. Never mind about the SS connection part, it didn't make sense.

muppetfan620

Reaction score
More people like the Mr. Rogers songs than dislike them. I personally think it would be a crime if they were removed. Having his songs on Muppet Central Radio is a great way of honoring his memory. You don't have to agree with me, but that is my opinion.

Millicent

Joggy

Reaction score
Sorry for being the second grumpy Dutchguy...

muppetfan620 said:
I personally think it would be a crime if they were removed. Having his songs on Muppet Central Radio is a great way of honoring his memory.
John Denver died in an air plane crash. He did a Muppet Show episode, two albums and two specials to go with the albums. He was clearly one of the best people to work with the Muppets, and yet we don't see any John Denver songs on MC radio besides the Muppet stuff he's done - no honoring memory. Is it a crime to leave all of that stuff out?

It's quite sad that so many wonderful people have passed away and it's great that they're still honoured, but I agree with Tommie that this is a MUPPET radio. Can we just allow anyone who really has nothing to do with the Muppets (except for a small connection or that they worked with em) to have non-Muppet songs on there? Or other popular series that started in 1955 or 1969 or 1976? Where does it stop?

Just my opinion, I know it won't be shared by others...

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tommie and Jogchem,

I just wanted to say that I really do appreciate the feedback on the Mister Rogers music. We always enjoy hearing what you like most on Muppet Central Radio and what you don't. That's why the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" tracks make a difference to determine future rotations. I look at these every month and make changes as necessary based on that information.

For example, this summer we got some consistent feedback through the ratings and feedback forms that Mopatop's Shop and Hoobs was being played too much, consequently their frequency was trimmed back some a few months ago. They still play, but just not as much as before. This is directly in response to some feedback we received. I think it's hard for people to sometimes relate to certain songs if they have never seen the characters the show comes from.

One of the issues that may be in play here is that outside of the US, Mister Rogers (or The Electric Company for that matter) isn't very known. Kind of like even US Muppet fans for the most part aren't real familiar with Mopatop or Hoobs. So while many in the US love Mister Rogers' music, those who are oversees and didn't grow up with him, wonder why his music is being played.

Mister Rogers and Sesame Street was always shown back-to-back in the US in the 1970's and 1980's. Fred Rogers campaigned heavily for educational funding in 1968. This funding was part of the reason Sesame Street even made it to the air. He always taught about the psychological, Sesame always taught about the educational. His influence directly made Sesame Street and the Muppets more successful. For those of us in our 20's, 30's and 40's, he was a big part of many of our childhoods. The road to Sesame Street always went through Mister Rogers Neighborhood in many of our minds.

Having said that though, I will look at ways to possibly play his music less frequently as playlist changes are implemented. Right now around 8 Fred Rogers songs play each day maximum (that's only 1.1%). Given that about 720 tunes are played daily, this isn't an overwhelming ratio. But maybe we can knock it down to 5-6 songs a day or something like that.

Off-topic questions...

(1) Since you are oversees and listen to Muppet Central Radio, what speed is your connection? Do you experience drop-outs in the connection? I'd be curious to hear answers from any of our overseas listeners on this topic. I always find it interesting how the site and radio performs for those accross the ocean.

(2) Since you told us what music you don't like, what do you enjoy hearing most? What would you like to hear more of?

Again thank you for the feedback. Let us hear more of it. If we don't know what you like or what you don't, we can't make appropriate changes.

Aaron

Reaction score
more rowlf songs
less muppet babies
less david bowie
more early stuff

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
Mister Rogers and Sesame Street was always shown back-to-back in the US in the 1970's and 1980's. Fred Rogers campaigned heavily for educational funding in 1968. This funding was part of the reason Sesame Street even made it to the air. He always taught about the psychological, Sesame always taught about the educational. His influence directly made Sesame Street and the Muppets more successful. For those of us in our 20's, 30's and 40's, he was a big part of many of our childhoods. The road to Sesame Street always went through Mister Rogers Neighborhood in many of our minds.
Very well said, Phil. The shows are always linked in my mind too. Personally, I think it's cool that a few Mr. Rogers' songs are sprinkled in. After all, you probably won't hear more than 6-8 minutes worth of non-Muppet stuff daily unless you somehow listen to it 24 hours a day.

Thijs

Reaction score
Phil,

I still think Muppet Central Radio should include Henson-related songs only. I do understand the feeling you have with Mr. Rogers, and I know it's only a few songs a day. I'm maybe a little fundamental, but that's the way I am.

To answer your questions, I don't know my connection speed, but I seldom have problems.

I like the TMS and Sesame Street songs the most, especially the classic ones. Something I miss is Muppets Tonight. The show was not great, but it included some, not much, but some great songs, especially the Johnny Fiamma songs. I love listening MC radio, especially in decembre, all those wonderful Christmas songs.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There will be a lot more Muppets Tonight stuff in 2004. I've already been working on recording the music episode-by-episode for Muppet Central Radio.