Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Okay, maybe that's not 100% true... is there any possibility of a Star Wars Holiday Special DVD? :eek:
Hopefully not. :stick_out_tongue: One bad Christmas special from 1978 on DVD is enough.

Now maybe if Disney released the original theatrical versions of the trilogy I'd give two cents about Star Wars.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Hopefully not. :stick_out_tongue: One bad Christmas special from 1978 on DVD is enough.

Now maybe if Disney released the original theatrical versions of the trilogy I'd give two cents about Star Wars.
Ah yes, that too.

To be fair, we have gotten them (I have them), but they're not the best transfers.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Ah yes, that too.

To be fair, we have gotten them (I have them), but they're not the best transfers.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :embarrassed: Even then, that release was pure laziness on Lucas' behalf. Disney would likely treat something like that with much more respect.

Han shot first, just saying.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Somehow, I think that's something only they would be able to do. Of course, they'd probably give us an amazing Blu-Ray release and something even Lazier than Lucas for a standard DVD, but I'll probably wind up getting a Blu Player by then, so I really couldn't complain.

Of course, that is, if they still even manufacture disks by the time the rights to home distribution expire and go to Disney.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like Star Wars Episode 7 will be based on a new story, not one of the Thrawn Trilogy books...

Report: 'Star Wars 7' won't be based on the books

If Disney is buying LucasFilm, how will that affect Star Wars: Episode 7 and other Star Wars projects? Any word on what the movie will be about?--Flannel, via Twitter

Well, we know that, whatever the plot of Episode 7, George Lucas won't have a heavy hand in the day-to-day creation of it. He's apparently written the treatments for the films, but he won't produce or direct--an excellent opportunity for another visionary to jettison Jar Jar Binks out of an airlock permanently.

As for the plot, Star Wars superfans have a theory on what they'll be seeing next. But I have a surprise for them: They're wrong. If you're a fan, you're definitely gonna want to read on.

First of all, you should know that there is an official canon concerning the Star Wars universe. Those stories cover the years after rebel victory (i.e., after Return of the Jedi). It's written in a series of books called the Thrawn Trilogy, by author Timothy Zahn. Die-hard Star Wars fans know the trilogy well, and they say that a big-screen adaptation of the first book, "Heir to the Empire," would make the most logical Episode 7.

"Of all the speculation out there about the content of this new trilogy, that's the single most concrete idea," says Eric Geller of the fan site TheForce.net. "It's almost inevitable that the story will take place in the same time frame as those books."

So what happens in "those books?"

Well, Luke Skywalker meets a real would-be assassin lady named Mara Jade, who was trained to avenge the Emperor by crushing Luke's pretty blond head. Instead, Jade falls for Luke and, a subsequent graphic novel, the two marry. Skywalker also has to deal with the fact that he's the only Jedi left, at least, for now, and he goes about trying to fix that.

Princess Leia and Han Solo also play heavily into the Thrawn Trilogy, popping out a pair of twins (of course) among other things. As for the name Thrawn, well, that refers to a grand admiral with imperial sympathies who takes over as the leader of the vanquished enemy faction.

So is that the basis for Episode 7 or not? I've heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources close to the picture, and they say: Definitely not.

"It's an original story," a LucasFilm source tells me.

In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.

I also hear from several sources that, no matter what you may hear to the contrary, no director has been officially attached to the project.

Meanwhile, there isn't much news regarding the other big Star Wars projects currently in development.

A spoofy cartoon TV series, Detours, was announced in August, spearheaded by Seth Green and the other creators of Robot Chicken. No release dates or networks were revealed, but Disney has said that it envisions some sort of Star Wars presence on its Disney XD channel. I wouldn't be surprised if Detours landed there.
Disney is paying how much for LucasFilm!?

Lastly, there's the live action series, which has been bubbling around since 2008 and which is supposed to take place between Episodes 3 and 4, when Luke Skywalker is growing up.

As I reported earlier, Lucasfilm was still talking in enthusiastic terms about Star Wars: Underworld less than a year ago. At that time, the show had a lot of scripts in the can but no financing. But if there's one thing that Disney has, it's money. Still, insiders tell me it's too soon to expect any announcements on either series.

Guess we'll just have to pray that Jar Jar has nothing to do with any of 'em.

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_n...t-star-wars-7-wont-be-based-on-the-books?lite

Drtooth

Reaction score
Looks like Star Wars Episode 7 will be based on a new story, not one of the Thrawn Trilogy books...

Report: 'Star Wars 7' won't be based on the books

That's what I was saying. When it comes to movies, no matter what, the cartoon series, comic books, and expanded universe novels ALWAYS get tossed aside, often for various inferior ideas. I like Ghostbusters 2, but wouldn't the film have been better if it followed the lead of The Real Ghostbusters, and had them consistently busting ghosts every since they formed? I know The RGB cartoon takes everything into canon, even awkwardly trying to pair Louis Tully and Jennine together at the end of the series, following suit of the second film. Even when it was obvious her and Egon were to go together. Men in Black. The series was far better than both sequel films (even though the third movie was a mark improvement) None of the concepts were half as good as Agent Alpha. And not only did it take the first movie into canon, but an entire episode revolved around the ending where L was the one that destroyed Edgar. And they couldn't even put a cameo of Booster, Mira, and XR... even silently in the background as a poster into Toy Story 3.

Expanded universes get no respect.

robodog

Reaction score
Considering Brad Bird directed The Iron Giant, one of my favorite animated films of all time, I would absolutely love to see what he'd do with a Star Wars movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rumors going around Brad Bird will direct Episode 7. I'd be sold on the movie just for that alone.
If that's the case, and I hope it's true, I hope he writes the thing as well.

Also, I have to say this. How come everyone bashes Jar Jar, but NO ONE mentions the slightly more annoying and far more racist "Chai-knees" accented Trade guys? I dunno about you, but I applauded in the theater (or was it at home, I forget which film it was in) when they got killed.

robodog

Reaction score
True that. I hated those guys MUCH more than I hated Jar Jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.