1001 ways to cover your puppet with fabrics

Iokitek

Reaction score
I have a question about using fur, felt, etc.

Where I live Antron Fleece is not available. I could order it from abroad. But the costs would be pretty high. Not to mention the fact that I would have to use a second washing machine to dye it. So I've decided to use felt instead. I've heard that felt can be streched to fit over the foam contruction. But so far all my experiments with this have failed. It only streches so far and if you make a mistake you have to start over again. Fur is abit easier in use because you can make as many seams as you want without them being visible. Or just glue it on even and comb it over. But it gets boring in the end and limits the possibilities greatly. Who just wants to make furry monsters all the time? I don't. I have lots of designs in mind. But they just can't be done with furs.

So what I want to know is if anyone knows of a book or website wich covers all these issues. From the various kinds of fabrics available to how to use them to make a pattern to cover a foam contruction. So far I've seen alot of books and other sources of information on foam contruction. But nothing on how to make a pattern for the fabric. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I never bought a puppet pattern though. It could be that it is explained in some of those. But most of them deal with Antron Fleece as far as I can tell. And that's just not an option for me.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Felt is HORRIBLE. If you can't get antron fleece (which is actually no longer in production), look for something similar. Polar Fleece is a nice second to use, plus it's stretchy enough.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Look up "fabric draping"; I think that's what they call this in sewing. I know a few people in fashion, I'll them up for any good resources they might know.

I agree with Foz that felt (the craft store variety) is awful, but I've often thought it would be cool to make a puppet using the traditional felting techniques they use to make hats.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Antron Fleece is not really an option for me. since I can't dye it :frown:

Thanks for sharing that info on the draping technique with me Buck. I was looking for the exact name of the technique actually. So you've been a big help. Google will probably do the rest for me :stick_out_tongue: I've already found a dealer here that sells 4 kinds of felt. So I'll probably give that a try.

I'll also take a look at various kinds of fleece and other fabrics. I've seen some material used for childrens toys and bathroom towels etc. wich looks like it would hide seams very well. But it's not quite smooth though.

dramaqueen

Reaction score
I was using blanket fleece and sweatshirt fleece. They have a nice stretch, but the fabric pills so now I try only to use anti-pill fleece. Felt is so hard to work with. I would try anything with a really good stretch before I would use felt. There is a fabric that I call robe velour. It is short and fuzzy (non-pilling) on one side and the other side is smooth. It has a 4-way stretch. I used to use it for doll making. The fuzzy side for baby age dolls, and the smooth for older age dolls. It comes in many colors.
As for draping, I started as a sewer before trying what I call soft sculpting. I always tend to go back to making a pattern. I drape scrap fabric over my foam head. Pin it until it the fabric fits snuggly to the foam. Then I trim the excess fabric to 1/4" seam allowance. I then take it off the head. I usually have a seam in the middle so when I take the fabric off I have 2 halves. I trace both halves on separate pieces of paper. The halves never match. I then make 2 skin prototypes, one from each pattern. I stitch them up (with more scrap/cheap fabric) and see which one fits the head better. The one that fits is my new pattern. I usually only have to make minor adjustments.

There is new fabric coming out all the time. I hit the fabric store every couple of weeks to scout for new stuff. I can't wait until the new antron (antron replacement?) is out. I would really love to try it out. Good luck, I hope this helps..............if not I am available to ramble on more. lol

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I agree with Foz that felt (the craft store variety) is awful...
Okay, I have to contradict myself.

Before going to Celebration III, I made a pal of mine (who has an AWESOME Emporer Palpatine costume) puppets from felt of Yoda and Mace Windu...little bitty UGLY puppets just for fun and giggles.

Well, he said he ended up posing for about a thousand photographs, Steve Sweeting (?) from Lucas Fan Relations talked to him about them for several minutes, and he had a dozen offers from folks wanting to buy them. So, if you're doing something campy that is MEANT to be ugly--but, apparently people will love them--felt can be okay.

But, if you want show-quality stuff, no.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Thanks for describing how you make a pattern dramaqueen :smile: I thought this would be an elaborate way to do it. But apparently it's the only way. It's just alot of work.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Okay, I have to contradict myself.

Before going to Celebration III, I made a pal of mine (who has an AWESOME Emporer Palpatine costume) puppets from felt of Yoda and Mace Windu...little bitty UGLY puppets just for fun and giggles.

Well, he said he ended up posing for about a thousand photographs, Steve Sweeting (?) from Lucas Fan Relations talked to him about them for several minutes, and he had a dozen offers from folks wanting to buy them. So, if you're doing something campy that is MEANT to be ugly--but, apparently people will love them--felt can be okay.

But, if you want show-quality stuff, no.
The photos are up at www.midsouthcartoonists.com now.

Pino

Reaction score
Iokitek said:
I have a question about using fur, felt, etc.

Where I live Antron Fleece is not available.
I´m from The Netherlands too and I heared there is a shop in Amsterdam who sells it... I never looked for it myself, but I think when you do it sure is easy to come by!
I hope you succeed... and what kind of puppets do you make?