1st puppet progress

Phantom

Reaction score
I've done this build and cut method also to get the patterns I routinely use. I started doing mockups this past year. It definitely saves fleece in the end. I can't tell you how many foam heads have made it to the dust bin in order to get what I want.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Snark Blarmsten said:
Interesting - how much work do you put into a mockup? Is it just paper or what kind of material?

i think everyone else has answered that for u ,
on a recent job i have done up to 10 mock ups, (client is very particular ), sometimes its one or two, sometimes its fifteen , all depends on what you or your client find works best , , i suggest you pic up some of the "junk" foam at a fabric shop, 1/2 " works for me, its easy to glue togother with contact cement and thin enough to cut and pinch quickly to find the right shape

Snark Blarmsten

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, lots to think about! I'll post again when I have some kind of update.

Snark Blarmsten

Reaction score
Update

Hi everyone,

As suggested, I tore off the neck :embarrassed: - it wasn't going to work. I took my patterns and made fur pieces from them, slightly larger and made the cap for the head. This took some trial and error of course. In the end I did make a small mistake but I was able to adjust for it with the back part.

I made the jaw fur piece. Then I took measurements and got the circumference of the back of the end, front of the jaw area to make the sleeve. Out of this sleeve I cut a spot for the jaw and sewed it in. (This took about 3 tries with scraps to get it right).

That piece got sewn to the sides and back of the 'hood'. I did some of it while it was on the foam and some off, leaving the back unstitched in the center so I could shove the head back in, this I did and pinned it all up (nothing is glued yet).

I made a nose and pinned that on, it's some funky material glued on to a foam golf ball. Here's the pics as he stands now:

http://www.pixelmech.com/rev/pinned1.jpg

http://www.pixelmech.com/rev/pinned2.jpg

http://www.pixelmech.com/rev/pinned3.jpg

You can see where the back is still open, that's going to be a tricky sew. All the sewing was done by hand. I couldn't use a sewing machine because it left way too much of a thick edge around the stitch.

I'm going to do more finishing on the mouth probably, maybe like Dr. Teeth's bottom lip. I want to use ping pong balls for the eyes but I'm scared to cut into the head after getting the fur right! I'll make a practice piece first.

Comments are welcome. When I get some energy, I'll glue up the fur in some strategic places and move on to the body and arms.

Tom

Melonpool

Reaction score
Wow! I'd never guess this was your first puppet! It looks great! I did a little digging, and found a picture of my first puppets (from 12 years ago). As you can see, your's is head and shoulders above my first attempts!

http://www.melonpool.com/BLC/originals.jpg

Steve

Snark Blarmsten

Reaction score
Thanks Steve :smile: Actually, those first puppets of yours look pretty good, I think.

Jinx

Reaction score
When I sew fur I do it by machine. I brush the fur away from the edge, use LOTS of pins and watch how it feeds through the machine very carefully. After sewing I trim the seam allowance as close to the seam as I can to reduce bulk. Then I use the head of a pin to pick the fur out of the seam, which helps to disguise it.

Instead of Ping-Pong balls cut in half you might consider using "dome eyes". The place I got mine from has gone out of business, but if you do a search here in the forum I'm sure you can find a source. These are great because you only need to punch a small hole for the post to go through. then it locks with a ring from the inside, and they're extremely secure. If you revisit my site and look at Walter there are step-by-step pictures of his construction showing this type of eye.

Your puppet is really looking good! You should feel encouraged!